PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

Airblue1
09-15-2008, 02:26 PM
We have booked the POFQ for Dec. If I book the AKL it is almost 700 dollars more. The quesiton becomes, should I take the AKL, under the impression that I will probably never be back for Christmas, like a once in a life time thing. Or should I stick to my guns, that tell me you do not stay at the hotel all that much and visiting can be just as nice?

What would you do?

brownie
09-15-2008, 03:28 PM
French Quarter is nice. I would save the money if you're not going to spend much time at your resort. You can always eat a meal at Animal Kingdom Lodge or visit it.

Strmchsr
09-15-2008, 03:44 PM
AKL is great, but I agree. Save the money. There's a lot you can do with $700 other than spend it on a hotel. And POFQ is great.

KylesMom
09-15-2008, 03:50 PM
While you can ask opinions, the only person who can truly answer the question is you. If your "guns" are pointed in the direction that "we're wasting money", chances are you'll feel cheated at the end of your trip. Also, if you are a park commando and won't be in your room or at the resort except to sleep, then I think that once again you'd feel cheated at the end of your stay if you're contemplating which direction to go.

Whatever you decide, you'll have a great time. Will it be $700 more of a great time? Only you can answer that.

Now - if I were to answer the questions about a deluxe resort versus moderate, I'd say that it was definitely worth the $700 regardless. Bigger beds, more spacious rooms, additional amenities, better pools, etcetera. However, we spend more time at our resort than ever, enjoying the relaxation and the ambiance it has to offer. Whatever your choice, make sure you are comfortable with it - and that it is not going to set your budget back too awfully far! Good luck in your decision!

sisterdisco
09-15-2008, 07:59 PM
Having been to both POFQ and WL, I have to admit that while the deluxe is nice, we weren't there enough to really enjoy it.
We just got back from POFQ, and it is so small which makes it great, and the pool is huge, and uncrowded when we were there.
The POFQ room was a little smaller than WL, but the only place you missed the room was the balcony and the nicer sink area. It had plenty of room for clothes for a family of 4, and plenty of countertop.
POFQ is really centrally located and we found that to be wonderful.
The way I see it, $700 can be saved for your downpayment for your next trip to WDW!

Magic Smiles
09-15-2008, 08:40 PM
$700 more for spending money!
We love the POFQ and never stay anywhere else.

PoohRules
09-15-2008, 09:30 PM
I have stayed at both resorts, and as stated above, it depends on your situation (and wishes:mickey:). We generally stay at POFQ, as we like the size. The year AKL opened, we had ressies at POFQ but they shut down for renovations. For $100.00 we got bumped up to a savanaha room for the week. So, we jumped on it. Of course, DH said we will always stay there in the future as it is very nice. However, the price tag......we have never returned for lodging and always go back to POFQ. The $700 would make the difference for us to fly (as opposed to a long drive) and that is more important to us. Depends on your situation and what is more important.

Yet, as a happy compromise, we always have dinner at the lodge (Boma) and enjoy time walking around out back to top off our day at the AK. DH seems content....as we have yet to win the lottery. :sad:

Either way, you will have a great time, both resorts are wonderful.

countrycharmer
09-15-2008, 09:38 PM
We were in same thoughts as you, and finally just took the jump and booked 3/4 stay at Coronado (we don't care so much for POFQ) and cocierge at AKL for 4 nights, might not be able to go back for a LONG time so thought we would do it up!! As always it is a matter of what works for you and no one else can tell you what you can afford financially or what kind of fun you would have... either way have a great time.

Tinkerbella16
09-15-2008, 10:52 PM
I would save the $700...that could go to a whole lot more than staying at AKL. If you are spending more time at your resort then the parks, then switch and go for AKL...but if not, then its not worth the extra $700 you could use on other things.

I am staying at FQ in November and have heard nothing but great reviews, so I wouldn't even bother switching. I think FQ has a much better location...its very close to all of the parks and AKL is not. I learned that when we stayed at Riverside last year...the bus rides were so short! And you cannot beat the boat transportation to DTD...it is a very nice and relaxing ride, and good to get away from the busses...Love it!!! you should stay at POFQ.

bkfree
09-15-2008, 11:20 PM
I can so relate to this. We are going in Dec. and it will be our first Christmas Disney trip.
My kids are 7 and 9 and it will be their 3rd trip overall. First in June, second in Jan.
I am sure it will a long time before we could return at Christmas time.
We originally booked at POFQ. Then, like you, found out we could upgrade to AKL for the week for only $400 more.
We mulled and pondered and in the end we made the switch. Our reasons was that staying at AKL would just add more magic to the trip and it will also be the cheapest we could ever stay there and the first time to stay there. We don't spend much on souviners, we use the DDP and pay for our trip many months in advance. When we divided the extra $400 into the 7 nights it is just about $57 more a night. Given that we do spend time at the resort and that AKL has lots of kid activities throughout the day and evening, it was worth it.
We always divide up our vacation cost into 6 payments over 6 months, so this upgrade only added $70 a month more to pay. A small amount we did not even notice, but I am sure it will pay off big in memories and OOH's and Awe's for all of us.
Everyone's wants and needs are different. The bottom line for us was that we knew in our hearts once we got there at POFQ(which is a great resort) we would have wished we would have done the upgrade.
Also with my kids,we are more comfortable with an interior hall resort,which POFQ is not.

Airblue1
09-16-2008, 05:56 PM
I thank you all. In case you care we have decided to stay at POFQ. We have stayed there in the past and feel we can spend the extra cash somewhere else.

Have a great one