PDA

View Full Version : I need to get in shape......

TinyDancer
09-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Maybe this is a stupid question. Will riding a bike give me the stamina for walking around WDW? :blush:

CleveRocks
09-15-2008, 12:34 PM
It can give you the stamina, but stamina isn't enough. You need to have the proper muscles, ligaments, tendons and joints up to speed, so to speak.

In other words, all the walking at WDW might not leave you winded or fatigued, but you might have very sore feet, ankles, knees, back, etc.

Any time you are preparing for repetitive movements, you need to get your body parts used to those repetitive movements.

In other words, get walking! :mickey:

#1donaldfan
09-15-2008, 12:40 PM
true, very true, but anything you do in getting active will certainly help...however as mentioned walking is the best way to achieve your goals......:thumbsup:

Polynesian Dweller
09-15-2008, 12:54 PM
Some good responses here. You have to do weight bearing exercise for your legs to get walking stamina. That means walking. I do approx 7-8 miles per day. You don't have to do that much but you do need to do at least 20min at a time to get any benefits and you should really try for around 40. As well, do it at some speed not just a casual walk. Doesn't have to be real fast just quicker than your normal walk.

I used to have trouble with legs and ankles at Disney and now I don't. The bike is better than nothing but walk.

KayDee
09-15-2008, 01:39 PM
I find this post funny. My niece (11) and I (32) started "training" for our Disney trip at the beginning of summer. Our training consisted of going on long walks pushing my son (turning 1 on our next trip to the World) in his stroller. It amazed us how out of shape we were to begin with. Now we are troopers. Not many people realize that going to Disney is "hard work". Who knew going to Disney would be like training for a marathon? Sure helped me to lose my baby weight.

Good luck on getting in shape and have fun on your trip!

tinklover
09-15-2008, 01:49 PM
I too had started walking , not only to try and prepair for Disney but just to get healthier. well before we left in june i was up to 45 -50 min on teh treadmill walking at about 3.5 mph and some jogging. but you know that did not help me with my sore feet and my sore back . i think it is becasue her ei was walking at a steady pace on teh treadmill but at disney it is a slower pace along with standing in lines. i ended up with severely swollen feet and legs this last trip and even more back pain then i normally have on a daily basis . i went to teh doc and they thought i had a blood clot. That came back negative though and they said it had to have been form walking and standing in the heat. I am still doing teh treadmill thing in hopes that it will help next year when we go but if not i will have teh scooter company on speed dial :D

brownie
09-15-2008, 03:47 PM
It will help your walking some by helping develop your cardiovascular system, but there's no replacement for using walking to get ready for your trip. You might also consider some resistance exercises that will strengthen your legs, abdominals, and back (low weight/high repectitions to develop endurance.)

PETE FROM NYC
09-15-2008, 03:51 PM
OK I am 57,obese at over 250.Now ,due to a fall,my knees are shot.But in previous years,DW and I would be at the parks from open to close.Walking all over .Were we tired at days end?Yes,but we always went back the next day to do it all over again.One trip,we ran our teenage niece and nephew into the ground.
I think thats its about park attitude as much as being in shape.
Enjoy your trip.

BigRedDad
09-15-2008, 04:29 PM
Walking is probably one of the best and easiest regiments available. Not the kind of walking where you stroll around to look at flowers and birds. You need to move at a quick pace. Start off easy, say 20 minutes a day. When your body reacts positively to the change, up it to 30 minutes (probably week 2). You need to get up to 45 minutes and you should be fine. This will improve your heart, weight, stamina, and metabolism.

sisterdisco
09-15-2008, 07:15 PM
I laughed when I read this.
I always step up the exercise prior to my trip.
I have found that walking 2 miles 3xwk and taking the stairs (5 flights) at work up and down helps alot. This year I must have done a better job, as only one day, did my Quads hurt!!

Last year after 1st day trucking around AK, my quads were killing me!!:laughing:

When climbing the steps to the waterslides at TL and BB, a few times I counted and there were 90-100 steps to climb!!

As DH would say.....exercise to get in shape for everyday, not just for WDW!!

elorac
09-15-2008, 09:10 PM
OK I am 57,obese at over 250.Now ,due to a fall,my knees are shot.But in previous years,DW and I would be at the parks from open to close.Walking all over .Were we tired at days end?Yes,but we always went back the next day to do it all over again.One trip,we ran our teenage niece and nephew into the ground.
I think thats its about park attitude as much as being in shape.
Enjoy your trip.

I too am overweight and [I]really[I] out of shape:blush: DH and I opened and closed the parks with no afternoon breaks for a week, all during the summer heat and at quite a brisk pace too. We also walked our 10 year old niece into the ground.:oops:

While I agree it's much smarter to be in walking shape to go 'workout' at Disney, I also think that park attitude has much to do with it.