PDA

View Full Version : Tapestry of Nations(/Dreams)

andywicks
09-15-2008, 11:23 AM
Does anyone know whether there would ever be a possibility of bringing back the Tapestry of Nations (/ Tapestry of Dreams) parade at EPCOT?

Does anyone know why it was withdrawn? I remember some great interation with my kids and the performers...:cloud9:

Maybe its nostalgia on my part, as this was on our first few trips around 1999/2000, but I did love that parade and the music!:mickey:

DDuck66
09-15-2008, 11:29 AM
I WISH!!!!! That was our favorite parade. I still get the Epcot CD out every once in a while just to hear the music. I had heard rumors that they were planning a new parade for Epcot, but nothing ever seems to materialize.

KylesMom
09-15-2008, 11:37 AM
You know, DS who is 10 1/2 is still asking me that very same question. He remembers that parade (hard to believe), and also remembers dancing with the "puppets". In fact, when I recently put together our Disney 2008 video, I used much of the music from the 2000 soundtrack!

From what I remember, they ceased the parade in part due to the cumbersome cast costumes, as well as it being tied to the Millenium Celebration. In fact, I remember when Main Street Jim told us it was due for its last showing! :( Yep, from time to time a rumour will surface that Epcot may have something new, but it's never transpired. I would've thought they'd have done something for Epcot's 25th, but nothin' doin'.

Polynesian Dweller
09-15-2008, 12:09 PM
I'll probably stand out as a bit of contrarian here, but, as much as I loved that parade I hope they don't bring it back, at least not to Epcot. It was a magnificent event but it caused massive congestion in the park.

If you had dinner reservations anywhere along the routes it was really a problem to get to the restaurant. First, the park area wasn't wide enough for the parade and the numbers of people tryng to move around. Just past Mexico and Canada the crowds got so thick because of how small the walkways became that it was a major hassle.

Great parade, probably wrong park. If they ever brought it back it should be in a park that can handle it and Epcot wasn't that.

Imagineer1981
09-15-2008, 12:09 PM
It was part of the Millenium Celebration, and when it was over so was the parade and the Millenium Village, which was also very cool

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-15-2008, 12:17 PM
Most likely not. There were a lot of issues with the performers. Those puppets are not light.

A lot of them now reside happily in the Main Gate Complex, which is all of the Entertainment and Merchandise offices for the entire property. I walked in and almost died when I saw them suspended from the ceiling.

Sadly, due to the high sensitivity of the complex, I cannot get photos.

Zone Stop
09-15-2008, 12:25 PM
*awestuck*

Jessica, Do you need anything more than a Cast ID to get in there?

Marilyn Michetti
09-15-2008, 12:50 PM
That was an AWESOME parade, and sadly, Epcot is the only park without one.

The Main Gate Complex? Is it restricted to CM's?:)

TheRustyScupper
09-15-2008, 01:31 PM
1) The official reasons for termination were
. . . tied to Millennium
. . . the puppets were too hard to handle in wind
2) There was also the cost of the manpower
. . . CM's on the floats
. . . CM's doing puppetry
. . . CM's doing crowd control
. . . CM's for absenteeism and 6th/7th day coverage

NOTE: Like other WDW discontinuations, if there is not a loud noise over the ending of an attraction, it is just left dead. The parade cost in excess of $1.2million per year, for manpower alone (this does not count costume cleaning/repair, float and puppet maintenance/replacement, logistics support, etc).

DizneyRox
09-15-2008, 01:34 PM
The Tapestry of Nations/Dreams was a great parade, really Disney Entertainment at it's best.

Sadly, Epcot really isn't designed for a parade, at least not one like ToN. The parade went through several transformations. If I recall correctly, it first started as one parade that went from Great Britain over to Mexico (or the other way around). Took forever to make it, which is why they changed to. Eventually it was split in 1/2, one end started in Mexico and the other next to the American Pavillion. It went from Mexico to AP, and other end went from AP to GB. Cut the time in 1/2 basically.

Regardless, moving around WS when the parade was going on was a nightmare. At first they really didn't have any traffic control, towards the end, it was better, but still a nightmare.

I wish there was some way to get another parade going at Epcot, but not ToN. It did run it's course and retired at the right time. What started as a must see turned into a "hurry up the parade is going to start, let's get out of here!"

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-15-2008, 03:38 PM
*awestuck*

Jessica, Do you need anything more than a Cast ID to get in there?

And a really good reason. Like, it's very restricted. Sadly.

I was only there for Entertainment training for two days. But during my breaks, I tried to walk around the entire building, and I think I saw everything. They also hand the face and hands from the 2000 Super Bowl half-time, lots of parade sketches, and designs.

Pirate Granny
09-15-2008, 09:43 PM
When I took the 'undiscovered' tour at EPCOT a few years ago the CM stated that there were quite a few accidents with those puppets...ie...children knocking the puppets down...they are just on stilts and it wasn't very safe...very pretty and I loved that parade and it was one of the first questions I asked on the tour...
:pirate:

MickeysEars
09-15-2008, 10:21 PM
I loved this parade. We saw it on our honeymoon. It always reminds me of that trip
:cloud9: