PDA

View Full Version : Our trip - DAY 2 (Aug 31st) the good, the bad, & the ugly

Pop Centurion
09-14-2008, 09:22 PM
Day 2 and we were in the MK. The weather brought us an overcast sky to start but no rain. A little humid but not too hot.(at least to me it wasn't)
Once in the park we headed straight for the main street bakery. My girlfriend had a piece of carrot cake while I had the ice cream cookie sandwich. Very good but difficult to eat because the cookies were to hard. So every bite resulted in ice cream squeezing out the sides. Soft cookies would have been better.
Afterwards we took some time to browse the shops along main street then headed to the hub to watch the dreams come true stage show. For some reason we always miss this because we're too busy doing rides. I'm glad we finally watched it especially since Donald was a big part of the show. :)
After the show we did the usual rides around the park until it was time for dinner at the Liberty Tree Tavern.
We always enjoy the food and characters there and this was no exception. At one point Chip began taunting Goofy by sneaking up behind him and tickling him. This then turned into Goofy running around the table to escape and sometimes using guests as shields. Chip then started to flap his arms like a chicken implying that Goofy was scared. After a minute or two the chasing began again but this time a lttle boy handed Goofy his pirate sword. Chip backed up and a waitress yelled "the pen is mightier than the sword" so Chip held up the pen he was holding to sign an autograph and they began to sword fight. Everyone was laughing and having such a good time because of all of this which made me sad to think they will be doing away with the characters here. I mean the charcater interaction here is one of if not the best. At least in our experience. So I mentioned to our waiter that it was such a shame that moments like this will no longer happen because of the change and memories like this is what mainly brings us back. He agreed and told me that they will go through a test faze for a few months to see how things go without the characters. After that they will try something else I remember but I think he said something about a menu meal rather than the all you can eat. But he said if none of that works they might go back to the current all you can eat with characters. Lets hope it fails and they go back. :) Anyway as we had this discussion Chip came back over and started ringing the bell that was on the wall above my head. As he played a tune with the bell the entire area began to clap to the tune. Another fun moment that will no longer be possible to those who love the place. Well enough about the Liberty Tree. What's important is we had a great meal and even better time.
After dinner we went back to do rides until it was time for Spectromagic. We walked from IASM to Liberty Square and found a nice spot right where the parade makes the turn. So basically we got to see the parade coming straight towards us coming down Libery Square and as it turned we got a side view. We were there about 30 mins before the parade So my girlfriend went to get us a drink and popcorn. When she came back we were talking and overheard a women telling the people behind us to tell us to move. Apparently there was a problem because I was standing so I could video tape and a guy and his family sat behind us afterwards. I know for a fact that I didn't just walk up to that spot and blatantly stand in front of anyone. I'm always curtious to others and made sure to look before standing there. That's the main reason we got that spot because the only people there were already at the rope like us or sitting on the concrete blocks/walls behind and to the side of us. So anyway, this women and her husband kept making comments. The husband yelled "do you want to watch the parade or look at that guys *$$ the whole time" My girlfriend turned and said "I'm sorry but we were here first and didn't jump in front of anyone" So the snippy women said they were there for an hour and didn't see us there. So they went back and forth a few times while I wondered why they had such a problem when it was someone else behind us, not them. Finally I told my girlfriend to drop it because it was a stupid argument plus there's families there to have a good time not listen to an argument. The couple kept making rude comments and frustrated she said to me she was getting tired of them. I said "why stoop to their level, just ignore them." "Plus I don't want it to turn into a fight" Hearing that the husband yells "we'll fight!!! we have no problem fighting" Wow! I was totally shocked that this came from the guys mouth in Disney of all places. I just told my girlfriend not to even look or say anything to them because by ignoring them they will only get frustrated and eventually quit. Which they did but I was still shocked that it went as far as a the guy saying what he did. Even the women next to us made a funny comment about being afraid to go get something because she might get yelled at when she comes back.
After enjoying the parade we walked towards the hub to watch the fireworks and just laughed about what had happened. Yes it was a messed up situation but no point in letting it put a damper on things. So we just found the humor in it and moved on.
Wishes was great as usual and while waiting for them to start we realized we were standing next to a family who sat behind us on the plane from Philly the day before. Had a nice conversation and offered them tips and ideas of things to do that they didn't know about.
After Wishes we were surprised how many people were headed back into Liberty Square and Adventure Land for EMH. Once we got to the two mountains we knew why. So we skipped them and went back to do POTC then to HM which we skipped earlier in the day. This was our first time on HM since the refurb and the changes are awesome. I looked for some hidden NBC stuff that CptJessicaSparrow mentioned in another thread but didn't notice anything. I could have cheated and searched the hidden mickey site on my phone but would rather try on my own first.
After HM we walked into Fantasy Land and Peter Pan, Snow White, and Winnie the Pooh were extremely packed but was so shocked that the line for the Indy Speedway was almost empty. In our 6 trips to DW we've never rode it because of the ridiculously long lines so we made no hesitation to get in line. We had so much fun laughing because my girlfriend couldn't keep her car off the rail. I kept yelling "that's why I don't ever let you drive at home" Hahaha.
After we did Tomorrow Land we realized that 3:00am snuck up on us fast and didn't have time to go back and do the two mountains we skipped earlier. So we just headed back towards main street taking some pictures along the way until we eventually got to the long bus line for Pop.
What a long and eventful day.......

pdrlkr
09-15-2008, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

Lizzie
09-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the report. What a long day.

mouseketeer mom
09-15-2008, 03:45 PM
The parade brings out the best in people, doesn't it??! Thanks for the report!

KylesMom
09-15-2008, 04:16 PM
While your day had so many great moments, there always has to be this one . . .

"do you want to watch the parade or look at that guys *$$ the whole time" . . . The couple kept making rude comments and frustrated she said to me she was getting tired of them. I said "why stoop to their level, just ignore them." "Plus I don't want it to turn into a fight" Hearing that the husband yells "we'll fight!!! we have no problem fighting" Wow! I was totally shocked that this came from the guys mouth in Disney of all places.

It's sad, but it is a rare occurrence indeed for my family to actually stop and watch a parade any longer due to this type of guest behavior - no matter how much I love to watch them with my husband and son. It inevitably happens, even at Fantasmic once this year in the Dinner Package reserved seating! While you were able to control your emotions beautifully, both DH and I tend to let things like this upset us and ruin the rest of our evening. Kudos to you!

Hopefully this will be the only bad experience you encounter on your trip - I look forward to reading more!:mickey:

Pop Centurion
09-15-2008, 04:24 PM
While your day had so many great moments, there always has to be this one . . .

It's sad, but it is a rare occurrence indeed for my family to actually stop and watch a parade any longer due to this type of guest behavior - no matter how much I love to watch them with my husband and son. It inevitably happens, even at Fantasmic once this year in the Dinner Package reserved seating! While you were able to control your emotions beautifully, both DH and I tend to let things like this upset us and ruin the rest of our evening. Kudos to you!

Hopefully this will be the only bad experience you encounter on your trip - I look forward to reading more!:mickey:

Thanks. I will admit that guy did get under my skin but I've learned over the years to just let words go. Because after all, that's all they are is just words.

tinkerbell04
09-15-2008, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the report, that was a really long day. :mickey:

sisterdisco
09-15-2008, 07:51 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how crazy people will behave at WDW!

Someone once told me "they think that their $65 ticket 'ENTITLES' them to do whatever they want".

So this guy was mad that "he couldn't see how he wanted to see". I'm sure that they could still "see".

We should have mandatory manners lessons!!

We were there the same week as you and saw so many Parents swearing at their kids....

I hope you were able to enjoy the parade w/ the jerk behind you.

We were able to catch the parade one day from the barbershop on Main St. while my son was getting a haircut....it was perfect.....nobody but us! (I think it was an alternate route that day).

faline
09-16-2008, 08:27 PM
I had hoped to get to the Magic Kingdom that evening but that didn't happen! I don't know that I would have lasted until 3 in the morning though!

Pop Centurion
09-16-2008, 08:46 PM
So this guy was mad that "he couldn't see how he wanted to see". I'm sure that they could still "see".

That's the funny thing. It wasn't the guy behind us, it was another couple off to the side that was complaining for him. They didn't even know each other as far as I know. If the guy behind us had a problem he should have said something. Which would have been silly anyway because who walks up to get a spot for the parade then sits down behind someone who is standing. That would be like going to the beach and laying in the shade of someones umbrella who was already there first, then complaining that they're blocking the sun.

iheartmickey
09-17-2008, 04:20 PM
Wow!!! The nerve of some people.

I'm glad you didn't let it ruin your day/night. Sounds like you had a great time! Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

dolphinmickey9170
09-17-2008, 07:38 PM
It's amazing what comes from the mouths of some people. I only hope I could keep my head as level as you did if I end up in that type of situation. Thanks for sharing.:mickey: