PDA

View Full Version : Disney Movie Club - Has anyone here joined it?

J9
09-13-2008, 06:38 PM
I just got a letter in the mail from my Disney visa about the Disney movie club. I have a goal to get all the animated features, and this could totally help me out in the money department I think.

I'm just always leery about the book/movie club things.

The deal in the letter is to order 5 movies of your choice at $1.99 each (or $1 total if you pay with a credit card). Then you have to buy 4 more movies of your choice in the next 2 years. You could get one of them now for $14.99 (which supposedly is $5 off the regular club price).

It also says you can buy a second bonus movie for $9.99, but I'm not sure if that would count towards the remaining 3.

Also, if anyone is a member, do they just randomly send you movies each month, or do you just pick out what you want? I have pretty much every disney movie I want except like 10, so chances are I wouldn't want to extra movies they're sending out.

Are there any hidden fees that I'm missing? I feel like there's got to be a catch, but I've read the materials pretty well and haven't been able to find one just yet.

Advice?

Deesdisney
09-13-2008, 07:10 PM
I have been a member for 2 years now. There is pros and cons. You have to notify them that you do not want the title feature or they will send it. But they are easy to return. After the you order and complete the contract I found it very nice. You get really nice discounts. However, you really need to look at the prices. I found that other stores have them on sell for a lot less. I joined to get the movies that the stores do not have. Like the gnome mobile and other old ones.

DizneyRox
09-13-2008, 08:42 PM
I too used it just to get some movies that were exclusive, and quickly bailed as soon as the contract was up.

The prices are not good at all, and you have to decline the movie of the month, via online or mail I believe. If there was an opt-in option, maybe, but the opt-out is a pain. A month goes by so quick!

I found you local discount stores have the movies cheaper, especailly the week they come out. That's what I've been doing... New releases usually take a while to get into the clubs too, at least when I was a member.

J9
09-13-2008, 09:02 PM
Out of curiosity, what are the regular prices around?

GBBT
09-13-2008, 09:29 PM
Out of curiosity, what are the regular prices around?

The package they send to Disney card members say $19.99.

brownie
09-15-2008, 07:19 AM
If you pay with a credit card, it works out to under $10 per movie if you order the 2 bonus movies and just complete your commitment at the regular DVD price.

$1.00 -- 5 movies
$14.95 -- 1st bonus movie (counts toward commitment)
$9.95 -- 2nd bonus movie (does not count toward commitment)
$23.94 -- regular movie+shipping
Total = $97.72 ($9.77 average for your first 10 movies)

I'd cancel after completing the commitment of 4 movies. I did sign up after crunching the numbers.

J9
09-15-2008, 07:23 AM
I did wind up joining because the math worked out. But...my stupid browser failed as I was completing the order. I assume it got through because my password works and I now have access to the member site. But nothing shows up in my Order History and I never did get an email confirmation. ack!

Diznee4Me
09-16-2008, 08:08 AM
I joined - bought the requisite three - and just call them about every six weeks to decline the featured title.

Occassionally they have pretty good deals and some movies you wouldn't find in stores. I have bought a few over the years - not too much of a hassle to call them every 4-6 weeks and decline that months feature.

kemps@wdw
09-17-2008, 09:44 PM
I've done the movie club twice. (the 2nd time I just finished last week) Have never had any issues w/them. You will be sent a notice for the new "pick" coming out, but if you do not want it, just mark "do not send" and return to DMC. Or make another choice and then send it in. The introductory deal was GREAT for me as it gave me an opportunity to scarf up some Disney films I did'nt have. I only ordered the older ones that weren't available anywhere else. The newer films, you can usually find cheaper @ your local discount stores. All-in-all, I have no complaints w/DMC. My "contract" has been fufilled, but if I receive the same offer in the near future, I'll probably do it again.:thumbsup:

divinedi
09-20-2008, 12:28 PM
I had a friend who when he decided to get into these 'deals' would order all the movies/books that he wanted right away, (assuming that you can figure out which ones you want at the beginning), enough to fulfill the contract. They would all be sent the first time out, and then he would cancel the contract, as at that point he would have fulfilled his obligation. He quite often got a new offer almost immediately, and might sign up again if the deal was a good one (sometimes it was better than the first, no s/h for instance), and he wanted more stuff, and would order everything right away again. These companies who do these offers don't want you to stop like that, as I'm guessing enough people just keep the movies they send because it's too much bother to send them back and have forgotten to phone in their 'no thanks' for the month, and the companies make a lot of their money that way.

Just a thought....

pixiesmimi
09-22-2008, 09:41 PM
I joined it to get some of the movies cheap that I didn't have and have found some along the way that I wanted to fulfill my commitment. I agree that they are cheaper at the discount store but this is a way to get older ones. I just decline the month's selection on line when it comes. It takes about 2 minutes. No big deal. There are no hidden fees or anything. Sometimes they throw in a bonus or something.