PDA

View Full Version : My job is officially driving me crazy

pink
09-13-2008, 11:49 AM
My job is driving me crazy. I work part-time (supposed to anyways) at a car dealership. There are three receptionists including myself.

There is one women who works during the day 9-5 Monday through Friday.

I'm supposed to work Wed-Friday nights and every other Saturday.

The other girl is supposed to work Mon&Tuesday nights, every other Sat and Sundays.

Every week over the course of a year the other night girl calls me to change a day or for me to completely take over her days. I've asked her three times to trade days with me. One time she ignored all of my phone calls, the next time she said she would do it and then never showed up and made me look bad and one time she actually did it. She also text me at 2 am and call me at 7 am on my days off to ask me dumb questions like how do I use the printer when there are plenty of people at my job that can show her.

This summer she went away for over a MONTH and left me with ALL of her days. Mon, Tues nights, Saturdays and Sundays with not even a thank you.

Since she is now back our hours are almost even accept she works 1 extra hour, big whoop. She decided that she didn't think this was fair and now went to her uncle (who is a manager) and told him that she wants me and her to share Sundays from now on.

I didn't even have a choice they basically said you have to do it. This would be ok if I didn't have a stomach disorder. My bosses all know about it and yet they act like its not even a problem. I base my life around my disorder simply because I have to and I don't think it's fair for me to have to risk being sick more at school just to show up at work more often because this girl is lazy and immature.

They tried to fire this girl before but her uncle made them bring her back.

I'll get off my soap box now but thanks for listening. :mickey:

princessgirls
09-13-2008, 12:14 PM
Sounds like a no-win situation for you.

Good Luck!

Julie:mickey:

PirateLover
09-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Hey pink, I remember the issue you had with this job before when you were going on vacation and you were having trouble finding coverage.
At this point, what I would say is, maybe it's time to look for another job. Just see what is out there. From what you've said, you've done what you can to make this situation better, and it hasn't worked. One thing you could do is to stop assisting this girl if she calls or texts you. Perhaps if she doesn't have your help she will appreciate you more. Don't cover for her next time she asks. To be cliched, I know many people don't believe in the "eye for an eye" mentality, and I don't always either, but sometimes you have to give people "a taste of their own medicine" for them to realize that something is wrong.
However, there's a chance this girl might not ever get it, and in that case, (unless she quits)- you really need to find a new job.

pink
09-13-2008, 02:39 PM
Thank you Piratelover, you always give good advice. All of my problems at this job seem to come from her. :mickey:

J9
09-13-2008, 05:49 PM
I agree with Maryanne. I think its time for you to move on. This is the same sort of stuff I had to deal with at Best Buy back in college, and I just said sayonara. In retrospect though, I shouldn't have had the dramatic exit until I knew I had another job lined up first!!! :-D

As to speak with your boss (not the uncle). Tell him the situation and that you chose to take this job because the hours are perfect for what you need. An abrupt change of those hours isn't particularly fair.

You didn't happen to sign an employment contract did you?