PDA

View Full Version : Anyone just returning - are there bees and how are the lovebugs?

homeschool mom
09-12-2008, 09:33 AM
We will be driving to WDW tomorrow. :party: My DS9 is allergic to bees and I'm just wondering if they are as prevalent in FL this time of year as they seem to be here?

Also, if you just returned, how were the lovebugs?

1 day and counting! :mickey:

Nurse Kim
09-12-2008, 11:17 AM
My daughter is also allergic to bees. On our trip this past March we seen bees. I would make sure she has an epi pen with her at all times just to be safe. When my daughter is going to be outside no matter where we are we have an epi pen.

Jen C.
09-12-2008, 11:18 AM
We are also leaving tomorrow. This is our 5th trip in as many years at thsi particular time of year.
Trust me! You will see PLENTY lovebugs! :D

pixiesmimi
09-12-2008, 06:33 PM
There is another thread about this but the Love Bugs just came out this past weekend here in lower AL. They aren't very heavy yet. I was down at the beach in FL this week and they were not that noticable except on my car when I drove. It is covered. I noticed them more today. So for the next couple of weeks, they will probably be out but don't know how bad they will be this year. Last year, we hardly saw any. If there is a breeze blowing, they won't be as bad as if it is still.

Pop Centurion
09-12-2008, 10:05 PM
We were there from Aug 30th to Sept 9th and I didn't notice any love bugs except for once while waiting for the bus. It was only two and they were on "a date" so to speak. ;)
As for bees, I only noticed a few of the big bumble bees at certain areas of the parks with lots of flowers. Other than that, we only saw one regular bee while eating outside in Mexico pavilion.

2Princesses4Us
09-12-2008, 10:55 PM
what are love bugs?

pixiesmimi
09-13-2008, 01:02 PM
what are love bugs?
Little black bugs that join together and fly that way and then they die. They don't sting or bite but are just a nuiscience, especially when the air starts getting heavy with them. They do get all over your car while driving and need to be washed off as soon as possible so they don't damage the surface of the car. If left on, they are hard to get off. They are usually only out for a few weeks in the Spring and a few weeks in the fall. They are mostly in FL and AL, GA, LA (southern states) but are migrating north a little bit now.

teresa955
09-13-2008, 03:44 PM
I am at POR now and I have seen a few love bugs (not many). Not many bees either.

EmmMOM2
09-14-2008, 09:25 AM
Just got back from AKL. Saw 1 or 2 on our balcony and one while waiting for the bus that was it.

The only bees we saw were on the flowers in MK right when you enter and some at WL when we went for dinner. But they weren't at ALL interested in us with all those yummy flowers around!!

Ed
09-14-2008, 12:06 PM
For some reason, the love bugs have been exceptionally light this time around. Normally by this time in September, they are heavy enough to totally smear your windshield within about ten miles of driving.

I'm not sure why they haven't shown up, but then again I'm not fighting it! :shrug:

BigRedDad
09-15-2008, 10:12 AM
I went to Tallahassee over the weekend and the love bugs are horrible. I thought it was raining for a bit, but when I took a closer look, it was love bug guts on the window. I am sure it will be much worse the further south you are.

joelkfla
09-15-2008, 10:52 PM
The love bugs were out in force around DAK today. This was the first day this month that I've seen enough of them to be annoying.