PDA

View Full Version : First Mother/Daughter Pre-Trip Report!

poeticeclipse
09-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Hi, Disney Lovers!

It's me, Stacey, back for another play by play of my next vacation to Walt Disney World. I haven't even made the announcement that about two months ago my mom and I booked our very first Mother/Daughter trip. Now, some of you may remember reading my honeymoon TR last year and my anniversary TR just this May. This time, i'm leaving DH behind and flying to the happiest place in the world with the best mom in the world.

The Cast
Me, Stacey - 20
Mom, Nancy - 61

We fly out of Detroit on Sunday, September 14th and come back home (sadly) Friday, September 19th.

It's our first time staying at any resort other than Pop. Caribbean Beach sort of fell into our laps due to very late decision making. I'm quite excited to lay in a hammock on the beach. :)

Click here to see us WAY back in the day. (http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x284/mrandmrslantz/?action=view&current=Tot-1.jpg)

Click here to see a picture of us now. (http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x284/mrandmrslantz/Pro%20Wedding%20Pics/?action=view&current=pose28.jpg)

Now, for a little history lesson. My mom is most definitely my best girlfriend. She's always been there for me and even though i'm grown, married, and out of the house, she's still the person I run to when things get rough. A month before my seventh birthday my dad passed away from cancer. Ever since then, it's just been my mom and I. One my dad's dreams for me was to take me to Disney World. When I was 9, my mom scrounged up enough money to make that dream possible for me. It was the most amazing trip. Since then, we've been two more times together with our last trip being in 2005. She hasn't even had one tiny little vacation since then. Not even a day off. This girl is due! It's a very big deal for us to go together for 5 days. Just us... and Mickey!:mickey:

Our agenda is to do anything and everything my mom wants. I was just there in May and I covered everything then... this trip is for mom. She's not big into thrill rides so I have about 5 things i'll be doing solo. No big deal. Okay, let's cover some facts...

Mom: Loves Splash Mountain, anything that sings and dances, steak, and being a goofball.

Stacey: Loves Splash Mountain as well, anything that sings and dances, fish, and talking to random cast members.

Of course, we are on the DDP (free) and have picked some restaurants that will both suit my mom and I. Our list includes Shutters, Coral Reef, Cape May Cafe, Teppan Edo, 'Ohana, and Sci-Fi. Most of them were at moms request. Except for Cape May... which was my one requirement. We are super excited to stuff our faces full of food that will make us gain 5 pounds by the time we're back in Michigan.

With only a few days to go until we fly out, it's finally setting in that we're going to DISNEY WORLD. The only thing i'm nervous about is the Detroit airport. I've never flown out of Detroit before and i'm not sure of how to get around there. Normally I have my rock, Matt, with me, but this time it's just us girls and my mom really is clueless to anything involving travel details. I have to show her what I can do I suppose. Eeeeek. The thought of it makes me a little sick. haha.:sick:

That's it for me until we get back! Don't worry, i'll have tons of pictures as usual for you all to enjoy. Wish my mom and I luck!!

Mrs. Bee
09-11-2008, 10:35 PM
Sounds fun!

Explain to me....you're doing the DDP for free? You get to eat free the whole time??

mouseketeer mom
09-12-2008, 06:37 AM
Oh Stacey, I understand. My Mom and I are still best friends, and I am 42, and she is 72!! Your trip sounds terrific. How special for the both of you. Tell us everything when you get back!

ChipnDaleGal
09-12-2008, 07:54 AM
As the "Mom" part of many Mother/Daughter trips, I can tell you that this week will mean more than you know to your mom. I am happy that you two can have this time together in the place we all love so much. Good luck in Detroit, and with all the face stuffing, and I hope you have the best time ever with your mom. :mickey:

DizNee143
09-12-2008, 09:00 AM
sounds like a great trip you have planned with your mommy..i hope the two of you have a wonderful time..cant wait to hear all about it when you guys get back!! :mickey:

yjgirl32
09-12-2008, 09:14 AM
Oh what a great trip. My favorite trip of all time was when I went to Williamsburg (eek not disney) with my mom- just the two of us. It was truly a special trip. I loved it. I hope you gals have a very special trip with no problems. Can't wait to read the reports.

poeticeclipse
09-12-2008, 10:15 AM
Sounds fun!

Explain to me....you're doing the DDP for free? You get to eat free the whole time??

At WDW, most every year, between late August and all of September I believe, the dining plan is offered for free when you stay at a resort onsite. And, for an extra fee, you can upgrade to the deluxe dining plan.

You and Graham should really look into this time of year when you plan your next WDW trip. It saves you so much money. On the DDP, you get 1 snack, 1 counter service meal, and 1 table service meal a day. And, if you take advantage of the highest priced table services (one credit) restaurants... you can really come out ahead. The trickiest part is getting your ADRs way in advance because places like Le Cellier, Coral Reef, and Chef Mickey's will fill up FAST and it's hard as heck to get a table.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-12-2008, 11:22 AM
How wonderful for you and your mom, have a blast:cloud9:

brad192
09-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Hi Stacey! Your trip sounds fun!

Don't worry about DTW, it's a breeze to get around. I fly out of there a lot for business. Everything is really well marked, and the neat thing is, if you miss your lane or turn, the road system there is one big loop & you can just go around & try again! Takes about 5 minutes to loop.

If you're using the parking structures at the airport, keep to the left once you're in the Departures lanes. Also, be aware that the cheapest parking at the airport is $10/day. Regular long-term is a whopping $19/day! You might consider one of the many offsite parking lots, they're about $7-$8/day, but you'll have the added hassle of a shuttle. Do a search for "Detroit Metropolitan Airport" & you'll get all the info you'll need.

Have a great trip! Can't wait for the reports!

Lizzie
09-12-2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the report have a great trip.

Diznee4Me
09-12-2008, 12:54 PM
I look forward to reading your post. Have a great time.:mickey:

Mrs. Bee
09-12-2008, 04:50 PM
So you don't pay ANYTHING for food??

The only thing is we aren't big into...
A) Going on trips in the summer/hotter months
B) Eating table service at Disney parks.

poeticeclipse
09-12-2008, 04:56 PM
So you don't pay ANYTHING for food??

The only thing is we aren't big into...
A) Going on trips in the summer/hotter months
B) Eating table service at Disney parks.

Okay, well, with the new DDP, you have to pay for your tips. But, you still can come out ahead with good planning.

Table service is one of the highlights of my trip! haha!!! LET ME EAT

pink
09-12-2008, 05:53 PM
It sounds like a well deserved vacation, have a great trip! :mickey:

tinkerbell04
09-13-2008, 09:57 AM
It sounds like a great trip! I can't wait for the pictures and to hear all about it.

RedSoxFan
09-13-2008, 04:11 PM
Have a Magical Trip.:mickey:

Jennib
09-13-2008, 10:49 PM
I am excited to hear the full report when you return. You sound like a great daughter!!

faline
09-16-2008, 07:18 PM
What a special trip with your mom! Please be sure to treasure every moment!

poeticeclipse
09-25-2008, 11:12 AM
I am excited to hear the full report when you return. You sound like a great daughter!!

Haha! Well, I try my best. :mickey:

I just love spreading the magic.

mickey&missy
09-25-2008, 12:18 PM
Yeah Stacey!! Sounds like you planned a wonderful trip! I saw the start of your trip report above, I figured I look at this first! Can't wait to hear about the trip!!!

Mackflava99
09-25-2008, 12:52 PM
I think its nice to go just with your mom-
My mom and i went to the keys a fw years ago and i still think it was a gret trip-
I wish you both the BEST time

KylesMom
09-25-2008, 02:30 PM
What a great intro to your upcoming trip, Stacey. You guys are going to have such a wonderful time!

So is Matt ok with losing you for several days?! :mickey:

poeticeclipse
09-25-2008, 03:31 PM
What a great intro to your upcoming trip, Stacey. You guys are going to have such a wonderful time!

So is Matt ok with losing you for several days?! :mickey:

Well, we got back from our trip last week! I have day one posted already... check it out!

All in all, Matt did a good job. We really thought at first that it'd be a nice break from one another. The day before I left, I didn't want to go and he was really sad about me going too! When we talked on the 2nd day that I was down there, he said how bored he was and that he never realized how much I meant to him... blah blah blah. haha. He was saying all this while I was laying in a hammock under a pal m tree so it was hard to feel THAT sad at that point. ;) It was nice to come home to a clean house though! When DH is bored, he cleans!