PDA

View Full Version : Have you tried this?

Mrs Bus Driver
09-11-2008, 02:58 PM
I was talking to DD the other day and said it was to bad that we wouldn't be having our usual breakfast of egg beaters with mac & cheese this trip. I bring my electric skillet and hot pot, and we eat in the room. We usually drive to DL and take everything in a cooler, since we are flying to WDW this trip I didn't see any way of taking the egg beaters, let alone the butter and then there is my favorite creamer for my coffee. DD just looked at me the way only your children can and said "why don't you just freeze them and put them in a little cooler in the suitcase." We will be flying Southwest so at 2 suitcases apiece there should be enough room. Has anyone else ever tried this? :mickey:

Tinkerfreak
09-11-2008, 03:37 PM
Not sure what resort you are staying at but you can not bring any kind of hot plate to cook in your room. I would check the rules before bringing any small appliance. It is considered a fire hazard. If you have a room with a kitchenette you won't need a hot plate.

Disney Doll
09-11-2008, 03:54 PM
I too would recommend checking with the resort about cooking in the room. As far as getting perishables to WDW, you can always order grocery delivery and have what you need delivered to your resort.

mouseketeer mom
09-11-2008, 03:58 PM
I'm pretty certain you cannot cook in the room..

joonyer
09-11-2008, 05:21 PM
And what would happen if your bags get lost or delayed? You should check to see if the airline regs will allow this, remember many checked bags get inspected now. It may not make it thorough inspection.
Packing it with dry Ice and shipping it UPS or FedEx may work. But you'll still have to get around prohibitions on cooking in resort rooms. The most I've ever done is take a 4-cup coffee-maker.

brian2000boston
09-11-2008, 07:00 PM
as for flying with food, no problem if it is within the USA and not international in or out. You can get a cooler and pack it with a little dry ice and the food you want to keep, then duct tape it real tight. You need to check with your airline on how much dry ice you can use, also you can use gel packs instead then no issues. We go on fishing trips and have to do this, it is more common then one would think. Good luck, no infor on the hot plate rules though.

SFTrny
09-11-2008, 08:33 PM
This is why I love Ft Wilderness. Full kitchen in the room. Moderate resort prices. Boat launch direct to MK. An Chip and Dale to help you carry your bags (ok...that may be a stretch).

andreallybadeggs
09-11-2008, 09:27 PM
We always have our own car so haven't experienced this ourselves but have read that many limo companies will include a grocery stop for little or no added charge. Might be worth it?

ILoveLegos
09-11-2008, 11:28 PM
I've used dry ice a lot of times camping and I have a really important tip for its use:

Store dry ice in a container that allows some leakage. If unvented, carbon dioxide gas can build up pressure inside a jar or container as dry ice melts.

<<<BOOM>>> Exploding igloo - don't ask how I know! :blush:

KAT1811
09-12-2008, 02:11 PM
I too would recommend checking with the resort about cooking in the room. As far as getting perishables to WDW, you can always order grocery delivery and have what you need delivered to your resort.

:ditto: Not sure what the rules are but I'm sure WDW reservations can help you with that. I would use a grocery delivery service for the grocery items. That way you can get some juice and milk, things of that nature that would not travel so well.

goofysbabe
09-12-2008, 03:18 PM
If you are freezing it and shipping it then why couldn't you use the microwave at the CS restaurant at the resort you are staying at? I know they have them because they sell microwave popcorn, which I've bought (from the resort & I've bought from home) and used the microwave. Only thing I would do is ship it seperatly, just in case your bags are delayed.

Sylvia
09-13-2008, 01:37 PM
Since dry ice is classified as hazardous, you will have to comply with hazmat regulations regarding air shipment. Check with your airlines, since current regulations may prohibit your shipment.

Frozen gel packs may not maintain the proper temperature, especially if there is a delay in flight, or receipt of your bags.

As has already been mentioned, you are not permitted to have cooking appliances in the room, unless you are in a suite with kitchen facilities.

If you're going to have kitchen facilities, it may be better to wait until you arrive in Orlando to do a grocery run.

Mrs Bus Driver
09-14-2008, 10:22 AM
Thank you all for your responses. I would never take dry ice on a plane. After doing a little research and thinking it over I have decided this trip the traditional meal of egg beaters and macaroni will have to be broken. We will just be packing pop tarts and cereal. I will have my hotpot with me, I just don't like resort coffee. Any suggestions for a new tradition? :mickey:

Sylvia
09-14-2008, 08:51 PM
How about my personal favorite traditional WDW breakfast - a Mickey Waffle and orange juice? :eat:

KAT1811
09-14-2008, 09:03 PM
For us our tradition used to be dinner at 1900 Park Fare on our arrival night. Then on our last trip they were closed for renovations so we d to do away with our tradition, the cycle was forever broken. Now, we too, are on the lookout for a new one.

What about a special character breakfast or just a breakfast at a restaurant where the menu appeals to you. I hear that Kona Cafe has some to die for Tonga Toast. You could head over, ride the monerail (who knows maybe even in the front seat), and then have a fabulous breakfast.

Good luck!!!