PDA

View Full Version : McGoofy's going/not going/going trip! (with pics)

McGoofy
09-11-2008, 10:19 AM
The cast:
McGoofy, DH, and DS

Dates...supposed to have been 9/4-9/6/08, then almost got cancelled, then ended up being 9/3-9/6/08.

Here is our nutty story:

My DH and I had a trip for 2 planned just to zip down to WDW really quickly for Night of Joy weekend. DS had school and was going to stay with friends of ours while we were gone. The NOJ weekend was a random trip that just became a possibility not too long ago, and a family trip that we have planned a long time ago falls on its heels in just a few weeks. DS knows that trip is coming up, so he wasn't too disappointed about mom and dad scooting down to WDW for a couple of days.

Originally, we were going to leave on Thursday after dropping DS off at school and then head down to the world. Then ole Hurricane Hanna threatened to blow into our town. As a nurse at a hospital, I am required to be on a disaster team every year. I got a phone call from the boss at work on Tuesday saying that we were going to go into disaster mode probably Thursday and that I was on Team "A" and was expected to be there. That means we have to be there until the storm is over and it is safe for Team B to come in and relieve us. So who knows how long that I would be stuck at the hospital. DH and I started making plans to have to cancel everything. He even called Disney and asked about refunds since we were under the 5 day mark. Disney was so accomodating. They told us that if it was because of an emergency disaster mode, they would gladly refund our deposits as well as the money we spent on NOJ tickets. That made me feel a little better. By Wednesday, it wasn't looking too threatening and that it may not even hit Charleston, SC, so I called my boss and she told me just to go ahead and go through with my plans, and if need be, I could come back on Saturday night as part of Team B. I was okay with that. Now at this point, they were saying that Charleston County schools were going to be closed on Friday due to the storm. We figured it was bad parenting skills to still leave DS with friends with a potential storm brewing into town. So we just decided at that point to take DS with us. With all of the storm nonsense going on, DH said on Wednesday afternoon, "Do you just want to leave now?" Ummm....do you really need to twist my arm to go to WDW??? :-) Not to mention, I didn't want to give anybody at the hospital a chance to change thier mind and call me into work! So by 2:30pm, we had the car loaded, picked DS up from school and asked him if he wanted to go to WDW. DS just got this bewildered look on his face. DH told him that we changed our plans and that he was going with us, plus we were leaving right then, a whole day early. I think he was grinning from ear to ear for a few hours down the road as it was a complete surprise! We got to Orlando about 10pm and stayed at a Fairfield Inn near Downtown Disney. We checked into Wilderness Lodge the next day. Would you believe they upgraded us from a standard view room to a lake view room?! We could see the WL boats going to MK/Ft. Wilderness from our room! Later, we went into the parks. First, we went to Animal Kingdom. There wasn't a soul there!!! I have a photo of us walking toward Dinoland, and I think DS is the only person in the picture as you look down the entire path. The standby wait time at Expedition Everest was 5 minutes!! (less than that I think once we got in the line.) We covered everything we wanted to do at AK in half a day. Then we went over to MK--same thing--no crowds. I have a pic of DS giving a thumbs up because there was nobody there when we got over to Tomorrowland. We rode Space Mountain a few times in row because the wait was only about 5 minutes in the standby line. I also have a picture of Big Thunder where DS is the only one on the train. He was sitting in front of us, and one other couple was sitting behind us. Crazy!! We seriously covered everything we wanted to do by 3pm. I was just blown away at the fact that there was hardly anybody at the parks. We came back to WL for a swim. After that, DH and I decided to keep our reservation for 2 at Artist's Point. We left DS in our WL room with pizza and a cell phone. He was quite excited to stay in the room and watch the Disney Channel. After dinner, we collected our child and went to Downtown Disney. This was our first and only chance ever that we had to enjoy Pleasure Island before it closes. Friday night we did go to Night of Joy. We really enjoyed that. The concerts were really good. Saturday morning, we went back to DHS to ride a few rides and enjoy a peanut butter and jelly milkshake before heading home. This was absolutely one whirlwind of a trip!

Click here for PICS of our days at empty parks: (http://good-times.webshots.com/album/566649395ZyWCVv)

We covered 4 parks and Downtown Disney in just 2 1/2 days thanks to the low park attendance! I could get used to that!:mickey:

tinklover
09-11-2008, 10:39 AM
thanks for sharing your trip and your pics loosk liek you have a wonderful time.

gauvin4
09-11-2008, 11:11 AM
Wow! I can't believe how empty the parks are!! :thumbsup: You sure did pick a great time to go. Thanks for sharing. :mickey:

Lizzie
09-11-2008, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the report sounds like a great little trip.

KayDee
09-11-2008, 11:29 AM
I believe I noticed in your pictures that you were wearing Fit Flops. I have a pair as well and was wondering how they were for walking around all day. Would you recommend bringing them?

McGoofy
09-11-2008, 11:50 AM
I believe I noticed in your pictures that you were wearing Fit Flops. I have a pair as well and was wondering how they were for walking around all day. Would you recommend bringing them?

Wow you are very observant/detail oriented!!! Yes, those are indeed Fit Flops. They did not bother my feet at all and were very comfortable for walking. However, I wore them way too long on the first day. I had them on from early morning all the way to walking around Pleasure Island until 1am. (minus the little bit of swimming time in the afternoon.) By that night, the piece between my toes on my left foot started rubbing and almost made a blister. I think they would have been fine if I hadn't worn them for so many hours. In fact, nothing even happened to my right foot. So I would say take them, try them in moderation, and bring a spare pair of shoes just in case!

ChipnDaleGal
09-11-2008, 12:23 PM
A wonderful report as usual, Tara! Looks like Hanna really worked in your son's favor. You weren't kidding that the parks were deserted. Your pictures sure back that up. And it looks like you all had a great time. Thanks for sharing. :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Wow, great trip...and another coming up:mickey:

d_m_n_n
09-11-2008, 01:29 PM
How fabulous for your family, Tara!! And especially for DS! You know he is going to start wishing for more hurricanes (and we all know wishes do come true!). Thanks for sharing your report, for those of us still waiting to go! :)

...a peanut butter and jelly milkshake? I've never heard of it! Is it tasty?

mouseketeer mom
09-11-2008, 01:47 PM
How fun! I love all the excitement leading up to the trip and that it had a super happy ending!! Thanks!!

KayDee
09-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Wow you are very observant/detail oriented!!! Yes, those are indeed Fit Flops. They did not bother my feet at all and were very comfortable for walking. However, I wore them way too long on the first day. I had them on from early morning all the way to walking around Pleasure Island until 1am. (minus the little bit of swimming time in the afternoon.) By that night, the piece between my toes on my left foot started rubbing and almost made a blister. I think they would have been fine if I hadn't worn them for so many hours. In fact, nothing even happened to my right foot. So I would say take them, try them in moderation, and bring a spare pair of shoes just in case!

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't sure what to do. I really like them but hadn't had them on a Disney trip. I am glad to hear that you guys had a great time. I have enjoyed your past 2 trip reports. Have fun on your next adventure.

McGoofy
09-11-2008, 03:00 PM
How fabulous for your family, Tara!! And especially for DS! You know he is going to start wishing for more hurricanes (and we all know wishes do come true!). Thanks for sharing your report, for those of us still waiting to go! :)

...a peanut butter and jelly milkshake? I've never heard of it! Is it tasty?

Okay, first of all, we do not want hurricanes!! Ever heard of Hurricane Hugo? That hit us in 1989, and that's about all I want to deal with in one lifetime!;)

As for PB&J shakes...they are awesome! Prime Time 50's has them on their menu, but if you just walk up to the Tune In Lounge that is adjacent to Prime Time 50's, they can make you one to go. In fact, my husband had 3 other people wanting one after the bar tender was making ours. I told him we needed to get commission off of that!:D

KylesMom
09-11-2008, 05:32 PM
What a fabulous trip, Tara - and what a surprise for DS to be able to come with. I noted you didn't make him hula in front of everyone this time! :D

The lack of crowds in the parks (and in the WL pool) is unreal - it looks like you had beautiful weather, too! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed NoJ - oftentimes it gets bashed with folks saying there isn't enough supervision around.

How wonderful that another trip is just around the corner for you guys. Thanks for sharing your short & sweet trip report and pics with us! :mickey:

mrsgaribaldi
09-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Love the pictures Tara:thumbsup: Thanks for the report. I hope it's empty for us too;)

d_m_n_n
09-11-2008, 08:48 PM
Okay, first of all, we do not want hurricanes!! Ever heard of Hurricane Hugo? That hit us in 1989, and that's about all I want to deal with in one lifetime!;)

As for PB&J shakes...they are awesome! Prime Time 50's has them on their menu, but if you just walk up to the Tune In Lounge that is adjacent to Prime Time 50's, they can make you one to go. In fact, my husband had 3 other people wanting one after the bar tender was making ours. I told him we needed to get commission off of that!:D

I'll tell you what...tell DS that anytime he wants to evacuate to WDW let me know and I'll head your way for a visit!!! ;) Otherwise, I'll shoo them away for you all!

I have never heard of the PB&J shakes. They sound interesting! Maybe when I have grandchildren I'll get the chance to try them!! :secret:

iheartmickey
09-11-2008, 09:10 PM
I can't believe those pictures!!! It looks like you were the only ones there! I love it ... and I'm sure you all did too!

Thanks for sharing a great trip report!:thumbsup:

pdrlkr
09-12-2008, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

yjgirl32
09-12-2008, 08:56 AM
Wow what a great trip and a wonderful surprise for your DS. Thanks for the report.

McGoofy
09-12-2008, 10:54 AM
What a fabulous trip, Tara - and what a surprise for DS to be able to come with. I noted you didn't make him hula in front of everyone this time!

Hey Carol! Yes, DS coming was a surprise to all 3 of us!;) You just made me laugh out loud when you said that about the hula! Didn't that "Most unhappy kid at WDW" picture just stand out in your memory??!! You would have thought we just told him he was on restriction for a month or something! No, we did not make him hula this time. In fact, we even kept him in our room at WL while we went downstairs to Artist's Point for dinner! He didn't have to be in any pictures at all during that dinner!;)

Love the pictures Tara:thumbsup: Thanks for the report. I hope it's empty for us too;)

You might have the same luck. That's just two days away for you!:thumbsup: Food and Wine will not have started yet, and I don't think anything special is going on. I could be wrong about that though. However, I think it will be low volume while you are there. I hope so for your sake!

I can't believe those pictures!!! It looks like you were the only ones there! I love it ... and I'm sure you all did too!

Thanks for sharing a great trip report!:thumbsup:

I am not kidding you! We have been there at many times at all different times of the year, and I don't think I have ever seen it that empty! I think the only Fastpass that we got the entire trip was for Soarin. We kind of felt like we had the place to ourselves. That was so much fun!!:mickey:

faline
09-16-2008, 12:21 PM
Glad it all worked out! We were at Wilderness Ldoge that weekend. Wonder if we ever crossed paths?

laward32
09-16-2008, 02:17 PM
Thanks for sharing. I loved your pictures. Looks awesome with the parks being empty. I am truly jealous. Best wishes with your next trip.:mickey:

tinkerbell04
09-21-2008, 11:11 AM
What a great trip! The pictures are awesome!!:mickey: