PDA

View Full Version : I've entered the world of HD TV

thrillme
09-10-2008, 12:04 AM
Ok...I've done it now. I bought a new Samsung 52 inch 750 series HD TV. Now I wonder how "bad" did I do.

I went to a friend's house the other night and they had just bought a new TV. We played a game on it and oh my...I realized how bad my 13 year old 53 projection TV looked. I guess I was so used to it that I just didn't notice.

Well I had my eye on the 650 series TOC Samsung for about a year (yes...I typed that right...about a year)...I had a "base price" that I set for myself that I would be willing to pay once it got to that range (or else they had to throw in a freebie something)...I also watched the forums and the reviews to see how it faired up as time went on. I found a few "minor" issues...mostly it's pretty much people who aren't real clear on how to "tweak" it.

Well not only did it get to the range...it's upgrade (the 750) went on sale too...in fact they were the same price...I broke down and bought the 750...4 years no interest (of course I'll have it paid off within a few months...I won't play the "interest" game...I know it VERY well...I'm one of the FEW that read the "fine" print where they "sock it to you" if you don't pay it all off in time).

NOW...the only problem I have is my "confidence". It seems like whenever I buy a BIG something I feel like I've screwed up somewhere.

RedSoxFan
09-10-2008, 07:16 AM
Congrats on entering the world of HD. We have 3 HD TV's. There is nothing like watching HD TV; especially sports. Enjoy.

pink
09-10-2008, 08:11 PM
I also recently just entered the HD TV world. I was watching one of Harry Potter movies and since the movie so dark it was impossible to see on my old TV, in HD you could see everthing perfectly! I was amazed. :mickey:

Ed
09-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Ain't it great? :thumbsup:

I'm sitting here right now watching the Mythbusters blow stuff up in HiDef. It don't get much better than that! :D

Mufasa
09-10-2008, 08:53 PM
NOW...the only problem I have is my "confidence". It seems like whenever I buy a BIG something I feel like I've screwed up somewhere.

Don't worry- you can be confident in your selection. The Samsung 750 series LCD HDTVs offer some excellent performance when properly calibrated (the black level performance can nearly rival that of a top plasma set like the Pioneer Elite series).

Even out of the box without calibration the TV is very good and pretty close to reference standards (particularly in regards to tracking 6500 K along an isotemperature line) but if you can have it calibrated then it really shines and the 750 in particular is great because of the numerous picture controls that are readily available to allow for a full calibration like the individual color gain/cuts and even adjustable CIE color target options for a wider color gamut very close to NTSC standards and several gamma options.

thrillme
09-10-2008, 09:57 PM
My husband is on his way home with the TV as we speak...I've vaccumed behind the cabinet and it awaits it's new tenent (I know it doesn't need a whole cabinet but I purchased this huge hunk of furniture for our old TV and I really love it)

Right now I've read a little bit about it on-line but the manual seems to be HUGE...SIGH...whatever happened to the days you plugged it in and got Mickey Mouse...

I might be showing my age but I remember the days when I was my father's remote control.

MegaDisney
09-10-2008, 10:48 PM
I might be showing my age but I remember the days when I was my father's remote control.

LOL!! Been there!

Congratulations on your new purchase!

crazypoohbear
09-12-2008, 07:44 AM
Congrats on the new purchase.
Don't worry about it, Everyone who has every struggled with money always seems to have buyer's remorse after "indulging" :blush:
I still have not purchased the new flat screen HD tV's. We have two that are working fine, My DH still watches his OLD black and white when he's in the garage :D

Plus I'm not sure about the hanging on the wall.
How high/low do you have to position it?
Do you need someone to install it?
Where do all the wires go?
We have a wall over the fire place that I would love to put it up on but that would make the bottom of the TV about 4 feet up. Don't know it that would be too high or not.
It's the only wall that we could hang one on.

thrillme
09-12-2008, 01:14 PM
We've opted not to hang it on the wall because I have a heavy wooden TV cabinet that's a serious piece of furniture that I love. However I have heard that it may not be a good idea above a fireplace because of the "heat" issue...but then we don't use fireplaces much here in Texas.

The one problem I've run into is connectivity. My cable box has HDMI cable that goes to the TV. HOWEVER...

The Wii, the PS2 and the VCR/DVD combo wants to use S-Video and I think there's only two jacks for this. I gotta figure out something.

crazypoohbear
09-12-2008, 01:27 PM
We've opted not to hang it on the wall because I have a heavy wooden TV cabinet that's a serious piece of furniture that I love. However I have heard that it may not be a good idea above a fireplace because of the "heat" issue...but then we don't use fireplaces much here in Texas.

The one problem I've run into is connectivity. My cable box has HDMI cable that goes to the TV. HOWEVER...

The Wii, the PS2 and the VCR/DVD combo wants to use S-Video and I think there's only two jacks for this. I gotta figure out something.

I don't use the up stairs fireplace much, maybe 3-4 times a year. It's too drying for me, we use a wood stove down stairs though for heat.
My living room is so small that I want to get rid of any furniture not mandatory!

Is there a splitter that you can purchase for the video games? or you will just have to disconnect and re connect the games when you change systems.

thrillme
09-14-2008, 08:12 PM
Is there a splitter that you can purchase for the video games? or you will just have to disconnect and re connect the games when you change systems.

You know there probably is one I just haven't found it yet. I believe it acts sort of like a switchbox.

The few that I've found are quite "pricey" (one was $199). For the price I can buy a new VCR/DVD combo that has "upconverting" capabilities and will plug into an HDMI slot. I was tempted to get a DVR trhough my cable company but...that lends itself to another issue. My Dad and I sometimes share tapes...I also do DVD but recording on DVD has just always been more cumbersome than the plain VCR and my Dad doesn't have a recorder. TiVo and DVR is great but I don't think you can "share".

If I get this new HDMI DVD player then we won't need to switch anything anymore. Eventually we'll probably buy a blueray but...I'm leaning toward getting a PS3 to replace my PS2 (attach the PS2 upstairs in my son's room). For the price I can kill two birds with one cord.

I've found also that I can buy a reciever that will plug everything in but...once again...this can be quite pricey.

pdrlkr
09-16-2008, 10:22 AM
:congrats:

MicMouse
09-18-2008, 12:28 PM
HDTV is awesome. You'll want to watch only HD TV channels after while.

Sometimes when we watch a show in HD, there will be someone who doesn't look so good in high def, so we say, "geez he's got a face for low def!"

thrillme
09-18-2008, 12:47 PM
HDTV is awesome. You'll want to watch only HD TV channels after while.

Sometimes when we watch a show in HD, there will be someone who doesn't look so good in high def, so we say, "geez he's got a face for low def!"

HA HA...after a while...shucks we're already tuning into "is it on HD?" Yesterday I couldn't find anything I liked so I ended up watching something about the "intelligence of dogs".

I can't wait for SURVIVOR to start...it will be in HD this time around.

alex61821
09-26-2008, 02:56 PM

heh, me 2. My dad would hold up his fingers for which channel of the 3 we could get and then i would change to that channel. My dad is missing the top of one of his fingers from a factory accident, so when i was feeling impish as kids are sometimes i would change the channel to 2 and 3/4 instead of 3 and then say well thats how many fingers you have up :thedolls: