PDA

View Full Version : Disney Cruise Line vs. Deluxe WDW package May 2009?

svarhall07
09-09-2008, 10:18 PM
Hey Intercot friends!

I haven't been on for about 3 months now, and I'm getting the Disney buzz again. In May I spent 6 amazing days in the World, and now I'm ready to plan my next visit.

I'm looking at the second week of May 2009. This is my problem:

I've never been on the Disney Cruise Line, so should I take a 7 night Western Caribbean cruise OR should I go back to the world and stay in a deluxe resort for 7 nights? Will I miss the parks too much if I do the cruise? Or is the cruise too good to pass up?

Disney Lynn
09-10-2008, 08:15 AM
You're in a win-win situation. We did one DCL 7day (Eastern) (instead of going to WDW that visit), and while it was wonderful, we did miss WDW. DD was 18 at the time and wanted to try something different. As it turns out, we found out that we love cruising and have now tried many different cruiselines.

If you can possibly get two weeks off, have you considered taking a less expensive cruise for a week and then heading to WDW (maybe staying somewhere less expensive)? Several cruiselines offer weeklong cruises from nearby ports (Port Canaveral or Tampa) or even Miami/Ft Lauderdale. In January, we flew to Ft Lauderdale for a 5 day RCL cruise, then rented a car (taking a taxi to the rental car facility at the airport), drove up to WDW for several days and flew home from Orlando. It was a great trip- a little of each of our favorite vacations!

I guess I should also ask for more details: have you ever cruised before? are you taking any young kids? what do you really like about WDW that might be missing on a cruise?

Have fun planning whichever you decide!

svarhall07
09-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the help. I'm actually 20 years old, and will be traveling with one of my best friends. Her and I spent 6 days in WDW this past May, but I had been to the world 12 times before. As for cruises, I've cruised with my family when I was younger, but haven't been on a cruise for about 4 years. As of now, I'm really not interested in any other cruise lines, I either want the Disney Cruise line experience or another WDW experience.

If I go to WDW, I want to stay at the Boardwalk for 6 nights, get the Magic You Way 7 day hoppers plus water, and the deluxe dinning plan. This way I will have a really relaxing, luxury vacation for about $3,000.

If I do the Disney cruise, I will be staying in a deluxe ocean view (quite small i'm sure) for $3,000 too. I won't really be able to afford any excursions or extra fun things like I could at WDW.

All that being said, I'm not a snob - I would def. enjoy both, but I don't know if I should spend the money on a really really luxurious vacation, or a more moderate cruise.

Any thoughts on why I should choose one over the other?

CPT Trips
09-13-2008, 09:27 AM
Will one of you be 21 in May 2009? I think that's DCL's age cut-off, but you should check to make sure. Some cruiselines have a 25 year old age minimum. This means that someone in the cabin must be that age or older(or younger but traveling with a parent or guardian in another cabin).

The DCL does have some advantages over many other lines (in addition to the characters LOL). When we cruised on the Magic, one pool was for adults only. Also, there were late night shows for adults only (and the age was reasonably well enforced). DCL's private island is the best of the private islands (IMHO). Also, the cabins are decent size (for cruising LOL).

Don't forget that your cruise cost doesn't include tips (they probably recommend $10 to $15 per day per passenger- check the website). Also, alcoholic beverages are extra. As for shore excursions- depending on where you're going, you can "do your own thing" for considerably less than the ship's excursions. Also, add in the cost of trip insurance (which will not be too expensive since you're young).

INTERCOT has a DCL cruise section (which isn't too active but might still help). More cruising info can be found on www dot cruisecritic dot com. There is a discussion board for DCL as well as for cruising topics and the assorted ports of call.

Disney Lynn (On DH's screen name- computer problems LOL!)