PDA

View Full Version : Mission Space Orange Question

atnextc
09-09-2008, 05:44 PM
OK, so I have heard that this is the "spinning one" several times, but what actually spins? Do you physically spin in the box that you are in? Does the stuff around you spin giving you the sensation that you are spinning? Please someone enlighten me as to what is actually happening on this ride. Please and thank you!

:mickey:

Imagineer1981
09-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Basically there are several 8 cars or so hooked up to a central hub, think dumbo except the "ship" is turned so you face the center hub. You do not see the actual hub or other "ships" once you get in because you are starring into a video screen and they enclose you inside. Therefore you have no idea that you are spinning. The spinning is used to create the gforces and as long as you don't look sideways or close your eyes, you would have no idea you were spinning. I have rode it several times and have never felt it spin once, just the gforce pressure. The actual "ship" moves like the star tours simulator, up and down and slightly left or right but does not actually spin itself.

Pop Centurion
09-09-2008, 06:22 PM
you're totally unaware of the spinning. As said, you only feel the g forces and some slight shaking to similate what is going on, on your screen. The ride is such a rush. The launch is probably the most extreme part of the ride.

atnextc
09-09-2008, 07:03 PM
so its alaadin or dumbo in a box basically

mdhiggin
09-09-2008, 07:36 PM
This is the one ride at WDW I won't go on again. It puts so much pressure on you that it made me almost vomit. I wanted off. I might try the milder version they have but never the original. I love roller coasters, ToT and all the other rides, but this one didn't work for me.

joelkfla
09-09-2008, 11:58 PM
so its alaadin or dumbo in a box basically
No, it's a centrifuge.

It's nothing like Dumbo, because you are oriented at a right angle to the direction of motion, not parallel. Therefore, the centrifugal force is pushing you backwards, not sideways. Your body and your inner ear react entirely differently. And there are no visual cues that you are being spun around.

Most people do not get sick if they follow directions: "Don't turn your head, and focus on the video screen in front of you." But apparently a small percentage of riders do react unfavorably.

BigRedDad
09-10-2008, 03:30 AM
Basically, it is a giant centrifuge. It spins and creates pressure to simulate g-forces of a take off. The quarters get VERY cramped. It can almost feel closterphobic. If you are not bothered by tight quarters and can handle the Gravitron at any carnival, this should not be a problem for you.

Imagineer1981
09-10-2008, 10:09 AM
ah...centrifuge...that was the word I was looking for in my post...thats why I mentioned dumbo, it was closer to the idea

jonahbear2006
09-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Imagine what it feels like to take off in an airplane, only the plane is the size of the three seats in your row. The feeling is quite larger than in your big plane. It pushes your skin back, your head back, if you try to turn your head then your world is knocked off it's axle. It is amazing and mind boggling all at the same time.

MaxPower
09-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Because Disney is so obsessed with warnings, I feel they create a great fear factor with this ride that is unnecessary. You would have no clue that your car is spinning if they did not tell you beforehand. You can not "see" the spinning. ( For example, on Dumbo, you clearly see that you are moving in a circle- on Mission Space you are enclosed and have no idea what direction your vehicle is moving--all you feel is the G Forces pressing on your body at times)

Also of note - the ride does not spin continuously. The ride is a story with a video screen in front of you. There are several parts where you are simply sitting and watching the story in front of you. You only spin when the story gets to a part where your body needs to feel something that corresponds with the story- like when the rocket takes off for example.)

Disney Doll
09-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Because Disney is so obsessed with warnings, I feel they create a great fear factor with this ride that is unnecessary.

I completely agree. All the warnings make it seem worse than it is. The warnings are kind of silly anyway because it talks about motion sickness and spinning. Well how often do you get to spin around like that to find out if you are prone to motion sickness. I was pretty nervous after walking past the many warning signs and having a CM offer me the chance to opt out, but it wasn't bad.

Goofy4TheWorld
09-10-2008, 02:49 PM
After reading all of the warning signs on the Orange side of the que, I was scared to death to just ride the Green side. But, I went anyway and enjoyed it (Green, that is). I doubt I will ever do Orange, though.

atnextc
09-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Yeah have ridden the green one as well as was disappointed, all you do is sit there. But I don't wanna be spinning around and around like im training for space camp on the Orange one either. I wish I could see it in motion and see what it is actually doing.

SFTrny
09-10-2008, 04:21 PM
What's interesting about these sorts of rides is that if you looked at them from the outside, you wouldn't see nearly as much motion as you would expect. The centrifugal spin will induce the g-forces. The other motion is usually less than what is perceived because they use the motion of the fluid in your inner ear and the video in front of you to "trick" your sense of balance into sensing more motion than you really are.

For instance, an abrubt backward motion followed by a very slow forward return to normal will give you the sense of continually rotating backwards. The initial movement starts the fluid in your ears moving, which tells your brain you are moving back. The gradual forward motion is subtle enough so as not to reverse the motion of the fluid and stop the feeling of backwards movements. Accompanied with the right video, they can make you feel like you have done a 360 degree loop without having to turn the car upside down.

This is the sort of stuff that makes people very sick, when if they did it for real they would be perfectly OK. Great stuff, but it effects different people differently.

pennsy22
09-11-2008, 03:27 PM
It's like when you take a bucket of water and spin in a circle the water goes to the bottom of the bucket and doesn't spill out because of the g-forces pushing on it. Your the water!:sick:

prttynpnk
09-11-2008, 03:31 PM
you're totally unaware of the spinning. As said, you only feel the g forces and some slight shaking to similate what is going on, on your screen. The ride is such a rush. The launch is probably the most extreme part of the ride.

I'm sorry, I still have nightmares and when Gary Sinise is on the tv I have to hide behind the couch.
Most of the rush was my lunch moving quickly thru me.:)

brad192
09-11-2008, 04:57 PM
The first time I rode Team Orange, I followed the instructions to the letter. The ride was great! I liked it so much, I exited & looped right around to do it again, telling a couple of CM's on the way "I gotta do that again!" They busted out laughing.

Next ride, I thought I'd deviate a little from the instructions & turn my head a little during a g-force moment. Whoa! :crazy: BAD move! :sick: As the entire capsule appeared to me to be spinning out of control, I snapped my head back straight & concentrated on the screen. Ahhh, that's better! It took me about an hour to feel right again.

The ride is one of the best, but please do follow the instructions. Those airsick bags in the ride vehicles are there for a reason! :ack:

TinkerbellFan16
09-12-2008, 01:30 PM
i went on this ride before the chopice was provided, so i was automatically put on the "orange side", and u cant tell ur spinning rele... im love roller coaters and thrill rides so i dont know what ur taste is, but ive been on both orange and green since the addition, and the grenn side does the simulator stuff, but not the spinning, but the orange spins centerfuge style...but all u feel is the g-force

mcjaco
09-12-2008, 01:34 PM
Because Disney is so obsessed with warnings, I feel they create a great fear factor with this ride that is unnecessary.

Disney isn't over obsessed with warnings. Those warnings are a direct result from the incident where the child died. The child had heart issues, but to protect themselves from more litigation in the future they had to put up those signs.

Blame it on America's litigious state, not Disney being obsessed with warnings.