PDA

View Full Version : May - Week before Memorial Day - Crowd Levels?

Diz-Knee
09-09-2008, 01:25 PM
Hi there - I am planning my 2009 trip and looking for a way to extend my vacation. Typically I like to avoid any holiday due to crowd levels, however I was wondering what the week BEFORE Memorial Day might be like? Anyone have an experience they would like to share? I thought we could go for an additional night or two. Typically we travel in late April/early May, or September/October.

TIA!

Tiggerlovr9000
09-09-2008, 02:02 PM
We traveled the week before Memorial Day of 2008. The crowds were very manageable. The friday before is when the crowds started kicking in. We didn't mind because we had already been to all 4 parks earlier in the week. I would definitely go at this time again. Happy planning.

homeschool mom
09-10-2008, 07:57 AM
I will second what pp said. We were there Sun. to Fri. before Memorial Day in 2007 and the week was great. However, when Friday rolled around, the crowds got pretty heavy.

3 days and counting! :mickey:

Diz-Knee
09-12-2008, 08:22 AM
Thank you Tracey and Diane for sharing your experiences - pretty recently too! I think we might give that week a shot and see how it works out. I've always wanted to add a day or two to my vacation at WDW and never had a chance to stay more than 7 nights.

DisneyWhirled
09-12-2008, 09:14 AM
Just wanted to chime in. We too have travelled that week for the past few years and love it! Great weather, manageable crowds and minimal waits. PP's are right though...on Friday of Memorial Weekend the crowds start to climb and climb. A lot of locals come in for the long weekend. By that point, we are just "catching up" on things we had not seen in the week prior, so it is not too bad.

This past year, DD husband felt that we should have left on Friday. We were caught in a huge crowd after Spectro one night...to the point that I felt like I was going to pass out. BUT, we are none the smarter, because...guess when we are going back??? The Friday of Memorial weekend!!!!

The kiddos have a long weekend, so we try to incorporate that in order not to take them out for so many days. We are coming in that Friday, but will plan on taking it slow that weekend and kick it into gear on Monday.

Enjoy your vacation!!

dolphinmickey9170
09-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Yup, us too, going back for that weekend too! We love the week before MD holiday. It is a great time to go. I won't repeat what the pp's stated, but I will agree with them. They are all correct!!

Happy planning!!

Karen, is it time yet?