PDA

View Full Version : How to make our room seem less crowded

Tinkerkel
09-09-2008, 10:14 AM
DH, DD10 & I will be traveling to the world next week with my cousin who is 20. The 3 of us have never traveled with an extra person, so I'm starting to worry that the room will "shrink" with each passing day. My cousin is really more like another daughter to DH & I - we are super close, but spending 6 days with anyone you don't live with can cause stress. Just wondering if any of you have any tips for making things go more smoothly & seem less stressful in our room. We are staying at the All-Star Movies.

Bringonthemouse!
09-09-2008, 10:58 AM
One thing I have found helpful in reducing feelings of claustrophobia is to prop the door open as soon as we walk in (usually with a chair). As long as we're not sleeping, the door to our room stays open. That may not be such a great idea in hot/humid summer months but we always visit closer to Christmas.

gmgdisneymom
09-09-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm majorly OCD so take this with a grain of salt but the first thing that I do when we get into the room is collect all of the paperwork lying around (books, guides etc) and put them in a pile out of the way.

I then move the cups, coffeepots etc in one place and push tables etc as far away from the beds as possible.

Unpack and give everyone their own drawers and toiletry space, have everyone pick where they are going to sleep (you might want to give your cousin the side of the bed with a table so she has a place to put a book etc)

open up the curtains so the room looks bigger and keep the lights on

Remember that you are at disney so most of your time is going to be out side the room

also a 20 year old is going to have a cell phone attached to her hip so give her privacy with calls and texts

bcornette
09-09-2008, 11:48 AM
We always bring an over the door cloth shoe rack. We hang it in the bathroom over the door and keep all toiletries (toothbrushes, brushes, medicine, curling iron, makeup, etc) in it to keep the sink area totally empty and not cluttered.

mdhiggin
09-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Yes, definitely, keep it tidy, clothes and shoes put away. The room gets smaller with clutter.

Mousemates
09-09-2008, 01:03 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about "shrinkage" at a WDW since most of the time you only end up in your rooms for bedtime and naps (where all you need is bedspace). Just use the luggage racks/countertops for your suitcases (or do what we do and keep all suitcases in the little area adjacent to the bathroom/vanity sinks) and you'll do fine.

bkfree
09-09-2008, 05:41 PM
bcornette=Thanks for that great idea about the shoe organizer for toiletries. I use one in my daughter's bathroom to keep her hairbows, headbands, pony tail holder etc. organized but never thought to use it on vacation for toiletries and hey, even shoes.:thumbsup:

I do as others suggested, first thing when arriving in room, I stash all the paperwork in drawers, unpack the suitcases and stash them and move the table and chairs to the farthest corner.
I also unpack toiletries and everything else.
In the mornings, after we are dressed and ready to leave for the parks, we do a room clean up. We put all toiletries away, pile all dirty towels in front of the tub, stash dirty clothes in the designated dirty clothes suitcase, and make everything as neat as possibe. We put all trash in the cans. We do not make the beds but straighten the covers.
This way when we get back the room is neat, the mousekeeping can clean instead of spending her time straightening up. We always get stellar maid service, and I think this is one reason why. We open curtains and really other than sleeping and showering, don't spend that much time in the room anyway.
One thing we will do, is let the kids get ready first and then my husband or I will get ready. That parent then takes the kids out of the room to hang out somewhere in the resort while the other parent has the room to themselves to get ready in peace. This also helps alot.

TiggeRia
09-09-2008, 08:43 PM
We always bring an over the door cloth shoe rack. We hang it in the bathroom over the door and keep all toiletries (toothbrushes, brushes, medicine, curling iron, makeup, etc) in it to keep the sink area totally empty and not cluttered.

What a great idea--thanks!!! :thumbsup:

threeh
09-10-2008, 02:30 PM

I did the the first time on our last trip and it was great. kept the bathroom uncluttered. This is one of the best tips I've read so far!!

happy planning:mickey:

MaxPower
09-10-2008, 03:25 PM
My suggestion would be to spend as little time in you rroom as possible. All Disney resorts have great areas to sit and relax both indoors and out. Great way to enjoy the Disney atmosphere and people watch. Try to use the room for bathing and sleeping and figure out a way to relax somewhere else at the resort.

Jen C.
09-10-2008, 03:59 PM
I hate to say this, because it seems like I'm trying to cheeky, and I'm not!

I, too, hate "extra's". I like it for a day or two, but on a trip, not so much. Anyway, I'd check if there are any deals on an extra room (if budget allows). This might give you a DH an option for privacy some nights if your niece and daughter bunk together. Just a thought. :D

bcornette
09-11-2008, 11:23 AM
I think it is awesome that I have finally contributed something useful to a post.

Just beware, if your wife is like mine buy 2. Our original vacation shoe rack is now in our bathroom at home. I had to buy a new vacation one about 2 years ago because I was told I could not take the original one down and mess up her bathroom organization.

So now I keep the vacation one hidden in an inside pouch in the suitcase.