PDA

View Full Version : Zyrtec

Georgesgirl1
09-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Has anyone else taken Zyrtec? How long did it take to kick in? I have been taking it since Friday and feel worse than ever!
I am 22 weeks pregnant and hated to take medicine at all, but after two weeks of not being able to sleep or breath I finally took my OB's advice and am taking something. But if I am not going to feel any better it's not worth it!

medic9016
09-08-2008, 08:41 PM
I have been taking prescription Zyrtec for the last 3 years once in the morning. On really bad days I will take another in the afternoon and it works pretty fast.

Beast_fanatic
09-08-2008, 09:09 PM
I took it in the past, but it made me so sleepy that I couldn't continue taking it.

Everyone is different though, so what works for one person doesn't work at all for someone else.

Puppy Mom
09-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Kristin, are you sure that what you have is something that Zyrtec is supposed to treat?

Sometimes symptoms for different ailments can be similar.

Goofy4TheWorld
09-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Have you tried Benadryl? My wife took Zyrtec every day to treat chronic hives, but she stopped taking it in preparation for getting pregnant. While she was pregnant, she would take Benadryl when she couldn't stand the itching anymore, and it worked for her, and was considered the "more safer" drug for pregnancy. Benadryl did make her sleepy, though.

Zyrtec worked for her within 2-3 hours, but for hives, not allergies. It was her miracle drug.

Tink2002
09-08-2008, 10:52 PM
I've been on it for almost three years now. It works GREAT for my throat and nasal symptoms - I was constantly itchy in the throat and completely stuffed up before I took it, especially first thing in the morning. I've just recently developed some ocular allergies as a result of newly developed chronic dry eye, though, and the zyrtec doesn't really seem to do much for those. I'll still take it regardless - being able to breathe through my nose is nice. haha...

Advnt05
09-09-2008, 01:04 PM
I take Zyrtec too and it works pretty fast for me. Another drug free option for you is the use of a Netti pot. You can find it online. Basically the principle is you flush your sinus cavities with salt water. It takes a little practice at first and can be frustrating. But, once you learn it, it really does work well and is drug free. I use it every time I get a cold and it seems to clear it up fast.

Aggie97
09-09-2008, 04:36 PM
My husband and I both have been taking Zyrtec for several years, and it works really well for us. We take it at bedtime, so potential drowsiness doesn't bother us. :) If it hasn't provided any relief after several days of taking it, perhaps try switching to another allergy med like Claritin (if that's safe during pregnancy)? Hope you feel better soon.

Georgesgirl1
09-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the advice. I am feeling somewhat better today. I am having a hard time telling what is allergies and what is the sinus infection that I also currently have.:( If it still isn't working better tomorrow I am going to call my doctor again. I think he said that Claritin was a possibility too, but I want to check again. Oh, and I did try benadryl but it makes me too drowsy to take during the daytime and still function at work!

TheMartellFamily
09-09-2008, 09:25 PM
The side effect for some women when pregnant is stuffy noses and stuffed ears, which is from a change in hormones. This maybe your case and the Zyrtec will not help it. You may want to check with your OB DR to find out. I had it really bad and was sick to my stomach all the time and:sick. To recommend a remedy while pregnant is not my job, but being in the medical field, it is correct to tell you to tell the Dr Zyrtec is not working. We in no way want to harm anyone here. There are things out there, or other posssbilities to help you thought this. I know because I was there. Trust me!

thrillme
09-10-2008, 12:29 AM
I first tried Zyrtec this July. I went to visit family in South Dakota. For some reason as soon as we hit the border I started sneezing. Not too bad at first but by the next morning it started to hit a little harder. By the second day I woke up sneezing my fool head off. My ribs were starting to hurt from all the sneezing. I toughed it out and went touring but had to stop for benedryl. That helped a little but not enough. Later I tried Zyrtec. It did make me a little sleepy at first but I think I was just exhausted from all the sneezing.

I had to double the dosage (I wouldn't recommend it while preg without consulting your doctor). It worked...The whole family was shocked...They thought maybe I was coming down with something...they couldn't believe the difference...I could have been my own commercial.

HOWEVER...what works on one person doesn't work on all. Hormones can cause a lot of flux too. If you've been plugged up for a while then it's likely that you've developed an infection (I'm usually susceptiable to this but I caught it early) They also have "Zyrtec D" which has a decongestant...again...talk to your doctor...you don't want anything to risk the baby. Claritian can work too but sometimes if you have a LOT of histimines in your body it may take time to clear them out.

For Organic help...try a nice warm bath with Johnsons MENTHOLATUM baby bath. Rub your chest with VICKS...and if you can stand it...try the "Teti Pot" many pharmacys carry them now...they're VERY popular (I just can't stand anything in my nose)...I have friends that swear by them. And for a fact doing the Teti Pot thing will not harm the baby in any way.