PDA

View Full Version : disposable ponchos

luv_cinderella
09-08-2008, 07:56 PM
I have seen a lot of people mention the inexpensive ponchos from Wal-Mart, Target, etc., but I have not been able to locate them. This may be an odd question, but where in these stores do you find the $0.99 ponchos? Is it with the umbrellas near the purses - or somewhere else?

Any help is appreciated. :mickey:

RockChalkKimball
09-08-2008, 08:00 PM
In Wal-Mart, you can find them in the Sporting Goods section. They are with the camping stuff in our store. I have found them with the umbrellas in the past, also. You can also find them at Dollar Tree. I did have to ask for them there, after much hunting.

mickeys_princess_mom
09-08-2008, 09:43 PM
You can also find them at Dollar Tree. I did have to ask for them there, after much hunting.
This is where we get them, and actually you get TWO for a dollar! Can't beat that!

goofiecrazy
09-08-2008, 09:58 PM
the dollar star had them 2 for a buck.. Dollar Tree

kakn7294
09-08-2008, 10:53 PM
I bought the 2 for $1 ones at Dollar Tree as well. At my local store, they are in the aisle with the socks, purses, and umbrellas.

MuchLovedMama
09-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Good question because after seeing people say that you could get them for 99 cent I looked at Walmart & Target but couldn't find them either. Didn't think to look in camping section though I'm with you, I was looking by the umbrellas & purses. I have 8 days left to look again. Good luck to both of us in locating some...

Jen C.
09-08-2008, 11:03 PM
I found the disposable ponchos at Eddie Bauer.

Aggie97
09-08-2008, 11:34 PM
I've found them at Dick's Sporting Goods, in the camping section. :mickey:

Tink#64
09-09-2008, 12:07 AM
You can also find them sometimes at Walgreens & at your local bait shops! Not me - but DH has spotted them there! ;)

I always pack about 2 each for our trips! Our first trip it was raining on our first park day & we made the mistake of wearing our "nicer", more expensive ponchos, & then when it quit raining we had to tote them around with us! :( Now I only take those as a last resort, only to be used if we end up using all of the throw aways! :rain:

hnybear22
09-09-2008, 12:20 AM
I get ours at Dollar Tree or Deals - 2 for $1 just like some of the others here
Tip for saving space in your bag or fanny pack
take the ponchos out of the pack you buy them in- don't unfold them - and put them in a ziplock bag and squish out all the air
I can get 6 in the space 2 usually take up in the original packages

kakn7294
09-09-2008, 08:33 AM
I get ours at Dollar Tree or Deals - 2 for $1 just like some of the others here
Tip for saving space in your bag or fanny pack
take the ponchos out of the pack you buy them in- don't unfold them - and put them in a ziplock bag and squish out all the air
I can get 6 in the space 2 usually take up in the original packagesGood tip! I forgot to mention it. I do that as well. My DD's carry their own bags so they carry their own ponchos as well. That way, I only have to carry mine and DH's and not all 4! And if necessary, DH can squeeze his into a pocket and carry his own.

TinkerbellT421
09-09-2008, 09:09 AM
If anyone is wondering where to find good ones cheap in the New England area, Ocean State Job Lot had them like 2 for a $1.00 I believe. We bought them there last year for our trip to the world, still havent used them lol....But they are really good quality/thickness, especially for being so cheap.

DisneyDog
09-09-2008, 04:19 PM
I just saw them at Kmart for around $1.00. They were in the camping section.

246belgrade
09-09-2008, 04:33 PM
I found them at Ocean State Job Lot.

luv_cinderella
09-09-2008, 07:25 PM
Wow! Thanks everyone. :mickey: I never would have thought to look with sporting goods. And it definitely seems like Dollar Tree may be the place to go. :thumbsup:

I appreciate the help... and I don't feel as dumb anymore now either!

BelleLovesTheBeast
09-10-2008, 01:58 PM
Wow! Thanks everyone. :mickey: I never would have thought to look with sporting goods. And it definitely seems like Dollar Tree may be the place to go. :thumbsup:

I appreciate the help... and I don't feel as dumb anymore now either!

Don't feel bad. I spent over an hour in Wal-mart last year looking for one for my DH. I already had a Disney one from a previous trip so we just needed one for him. It was the last place I was going to look before heading to another store.

dolphinmickey9170
09-10-2008, 07:10 PM
I couldn't find them at walmart either. I got double packs at Dollar Tree for $1. Just know that if anyone is big and beautiful, they probably won't fit. My DH is 280 and they don't fit him.

brian2000boston
09-11-2008, 06:22 AM
I bought some last night at target. They are located in the camping section, just as walmart has them. Target had two brands for $.99, one was coleman and the other a no name. They also have others which we purchased for $5. They are a thincker plastic and will not rip and is designed to be reusable unlike the much cheaper throw aways. I have been told by several people the ones at disney were way overpriced and rip, which i know from experience the cheap ones do to, i dont see getting 5 days out of those thin throw away ones. either weay if we dont use them i can just bring them back!

Belle619
09-11-2008, 08:18 AM
I've found them at Dick's Sporting Goods, in the camping section.

I too have purchased the $1 ponchos at Target, Wal-Mart, etc., but if there is going to be serious rain during your trip then I would recommend going with something a bit sturdier. :rain:

We had downpours everyday lasting for hours on our last trip and I was really glad we had our ponchos from Dick's with us when the cheap ones sprung a leak!!!

tinksmom02
09-11-2008, 11:43 AM
I've been picking up disposable ponchos here and there over the past couple of months--Dollar Tree had them just inside the door, 2 for $1. Five Below also had ponchos for $1.50 each.

Imagine my surprise when I open my suitcase to start packing Monday and found the ponchos we hadn't used on the last trip LOL I now have NINE disposable ponchos for the three of us LOL

AHOTE
09-11-2008, 12:32 PM
I have been told by several people the ones at disney were way overpriced and rip, which i know from experience the cheap ones do to, i dont see getting 5 days out of those thin throw away ones. either weay if we dont use them i can just bring them back!
I can't speak for the newer Disney ponchos' but I'm still using my Disney Dick Tracy poncho that I bought in 1990 after the movie came out. I think it was $3.00 and I've surely got my monies worth. If you're in the parks in November and it's raining, look for it. It's a great ice breaker and I've met a lot of great people because of it. My last best offer to buy it off my back was $25.00 and an umbrella from an Australian on my last visit. This year I plan to add an Intercot hat & tee to the mix.

tinksmom02
09-11-2008, 03:10 PM
I've read that if a Disney poncho rips, you can take it to any location that sells them and they'll replace it for you.

Mrs Bus Driver
09-11-2008, 03:20 PM
I've read that if a Disney poncho rips, you can take it to any location that sells them and they'll replace it for you.

Yes they will, they did this for DD at DL on one of our trips a couple of years ago. :mickey:

brian2000boston
09-11-2008, 03:51 PM

That I did not know, thanks for the tip.

pixiesmimi
09-11-2008, 10:46 PM
I always find them at the Dollar Tree or Dollar Store. I buy several packages of them and the smaller ones are hard to find. They have always been plenty big though. We use them more to cover the stroller and they are big enough to do that with plenty left over. We still take our good Disney ponchos though. I have some zippered bags in different sizes (makeup bags, etc.) that lie flat and I put the folded ponchos (all of them) in one of the larger ones. It is pretty flat and I can put it in our backpack/tote bag/stroller, etc. I carry them every day just in case. After using them, I just stuff them down in a plastic bag and shake them out to dry in the room that night. I very seldom have to throw one away. This year, though, I bought DH and myself Disney raincoats while they were on sale instead of ponchos because they would be easier to get on and off quickly but I can still fold them down into a bag to carry. They have a hood on them.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
09-13-2008, 12:24 AM
I had checked my local Dollar Store and Walmart and neither had them. I'll have to check Ocean State tomorrow since I leave next Saturday so I'm running out of time.

pixiesmimi
09-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Try the Dollar Tree or Fred's. Sometimes you really have to look for them or ask an employee.

RedSoxFan
09-14-2008, 03:09 PM
How much are the ponchos at Disney???

thumperbug
09-14-2008, 06:10 PM
We had bought the $1 rain ponchos...of course we got stuck in the rain storms of all rain storms and unfortunately did nothing to keep us dry. We spent a few $$ at Target and got the Coleman ones for under $5 each. Heavier grade and has snaps on the sides for adjustments. They come in a small mesh bag so you can fold em and squish out air and water. They are obviously a little bigger then the $1 ponchos but worth it to us.

We have dollar tree by us and they have tons of the ponchos with the umbrellas.

jonahbear2006
09-16-2008, 02:26 PM
coleman sells them so always in camping section. We used them and they fit great over the stroller.

crazypoohbear
09-18-2008, 03:35 PM
I just picked up 4 at ocean state job lot for .90 each

DigitalDaredevil
09-19-2008, 01:47 AM
At Walmart, they are in the sporting goods section. You will find them in a basket or hanging on a rack. They fold up small so don't overlook them.

teachvicts
09-19-2008, 07:37 PM
I just got some yesterday at Dollar Tree and they had them behind the counter at the checkouts. Had to ask for them.

bmj721
09-19-2008, 10:23 PM
Went to DH's company picnic and they handed out ones from Bass Pro to everybody, so we're set for Dec.
:thumbsup: