PDA

View Full Version : Switched from Poly to WL - need good feedback

Gregandmel
09-08-2008, 04:54 PM
Well - after being excited for nearly 9 months for our upcoming October trip and staying at the Poly, we ended up switching to the WL (which was our 2nd choice anyways). Just couldn't swing the cost and a better "Room Only" deal came up which saved us close to $900 for the week. I was really looking forward to everything the POly had to offer. I know we will LOVE the WL because our family loves the whole Yellowstone/Rocky Mountain/ theme....just want some comforting words of experience for those that have good opinions of WL. Thanks everyone.

Jen C.
09-08-2008, 05:00 PM
We went to the Wilderness Lodge as our first on property family destination. We had the trip of our lives. It was the most wonderful, warm, inviting resort.
The year after, we stayed at the board favorite Poly. While it was quite nice, we actually preferred Wilderness Lodge. The only reason we don't return, is we are now a family of 5, and the other deluxes suit us better. We may in the future though, return as guests in a deluxe room (larger) at WL. This is a switch that you will not mind. Trust me! :D

green ranger
09-08-2008, 05:07 PM
We have never stayed at the Poly, but this will be our 4th time staying at WL. We keep going back there, so we obviously enjoy staying there. It's a very pretty and relaxing hotel. The lobby is incredible. We enjoy the boat ride over to the MK. We have never had a bad experience there. I'm sure you too will enjoy it and not be disappointed about your switch. Have fun!

SBETigg
09-08-2008, 05:27 PM
I love the Poly, but I think you'll have an incredible stay at the Wilderness Lodge. I wouldn't even worry. You're saving money and you're staying at an incredible resort. True, the Poly location can't be beat, but the WL has a lot to offer. Enjoy!

Jforrest2
09-08-2008, 05:33 PM
We have stayed at the Poly, Contemporary, Allstars, Pop Century, Animal Kingdom, Boardwalk...Oh heck we have stayed at most of them. But the Wilderness Lodge is the only one we have stayed in five times. Our sixth stay will be in 3 Days 23 Hrs 36 Mins 12 Secs :joy:

trust me You will not be Disappointed!

Wrigley
09-08-2008, 05:46 PM
We have stayed at both the Poly and WL, and we actually prefer the WL! It is my favorite resort! The themeing is wonderful, there are great food choices, the pool is very nice, and just the whole overall feel is great. It seems as though you are actually in Yellowstone. We also like to rent the little boats and buzz all over the lake. I think you will fall in love with the WL and have a great trip!:mickey:

GrmGrninGost
09-08-2008, 06:11 PM
We have stayed at both and absolutely loved them! For me, the WL is my all-time favorite resort! The Poly is a close second! If the WL had monorail service, it would be perfect!

Sunshine1010
09-08-2008, 06:45 PM
You did the right thing. I mean...900.00?????? Whoa...that is a GREAT savings deal! That 900.00 could go for 2-3 EXTRA nights at Poly.......hhhmmmmm?

mouseketeer mom
09-08-2008, 08:25 PM
No worries. The Poly is our favorite, its where some of our most favorite family memories have been made. BUT..the WL is right behind it. It is warm, beautiful and oh so very relaxing,..just like the Poly. We've stayed there twice, and will be returning for our upcoming Thanksgiving trip too. It is so highly themed, and you can't help but love it.

LauraleeH
09-08-2008, 08:35 PM
I just got back from the Wilderness Lodge, and I really miss it. It's my favorite place. Have fun for me!

sleeping beauty77
09-08-2008, 08:36 PM
I'm sorry you had to switch from the Poly. I feel your pain. While we've never stayed at the WL, we have visited there, and it's beautiful . Maybe if there's a next time after our upcoming trip we'll stay there. Here's the part where I actually feel your pain. Like you, we have been anticipating our trip to the Poly, also in October. We had been looking forward to it since last year. Well, when the discounts didn't come in we just couldn't justify staying there. When we moved to AKL we saved over 1300 dollars. Yeah, we were pretty bummed too. Love that monorail. But when you think of the savings that's something to be happy about! :thumbsup:

maxrebo77
09-09-2008, 01:57 AM
The WL is and always will be my favorite. To me it really captures the quality. I stayed at Poly once and we had a ground floor, walk out to a hammock room. It was really nice, but I like the walking from your room into the lobby instead of walking from your building to the lobby feeling. If I could sit in a rocker with a cold one:beer:in front of the big fireplace and be able to see the American Adventure Show from EPCOT at the same time, I might never leave.:thumbsup:
I think you will not be unhappy for one second with your choice. Those $'s can be well spent elseware.
Have Fun :mickey:

KylesMom
09-09-2008, 10:15 AM
While I know you're disappointed in having to switch from the Poly, don't despair! We have recently returned from our third 15-day stay at WL and have booked our 4th for next June. It really is a resort filled with magic.

When we were priced out of CR resort a few years ago, we felt the same way about moving to WL. Now, DH doesn't want to stay anywhere else! I really think you will love it there! :mickey:

SAHDad
09-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Disclaimer #1 - I've never stayed at the Poly.

DIsclaimer #2 - FIL/MIL are DVC members, with WL as the home resort, so that's where we would normally wind up.

But, with those in mind - I love the WL. The lobby is impressive, and I love sitting in one of the chairs, either next to the fire or by the bridge over the brook.

While the Poly is closer due to the monorail, the boat ride from WL to MK is pretty quick.

Make sure you get the list of Hidden Mickeys from the front desk. I spent several hours looking for them - found some, but not all.

MauiMouse
09-09-2008, 10:53 AM
There are so many great reasons to stay at Wilderness Lodge, you're going to fall in love with it.

See if you can become a Flag Family during your stay
Check out the geyser
Just relax in one of the many areas through out the Lodge
Check out the huge fireplace in the Lobby
Walk over to the Villas and check out the Iron Spike Room
Take a Hidden Mickey Tour of the Lodge (think they still have them)
Boat transportation to Magic Kingdom, Contemporary & Fort Wilderness
Check out the trail over to Fort Wilderness

Tygger7
09-09-2008, 11:00 AM
I'll echo the other comments....

I've always wanted to stay at Poly, but the cost has kept me away. For the money, you can't beat WL. I love, love, love this resort!!! All the rooms have balconies and there's nothing better than sitting on the balcony in the morning drinking a cup of coffee. You can see the electric light parade from the beach, and the entire grounds are breathtaking. Don't worry...you won't be disappointed. Even if I had the extra money, I'd still choose WL and stay longer.

Sigh....I just looked at the picture of the WL on my cube wall. I want to go back NOW!!! :cloud9:

mrsgaribaldi
09-09-2008, 11:09 AM
The Poly is my all time favorite too but I think you will love the WL. It really is beautiful:mickey:

diz_girl
09-09-2008, 02:37 PM
I've stayed at both the WL and Poly twice and I love them both. The theming at WL is incredible and I'm really looking forward to my stay there in December. I had grown nostalgic for the Poly after my 2005 WDW trip, so I stayed at the Poly for my last trip. I'm starting to grow a little nostalgic for the CR, so maybe we'll stay there for my next trip. So there's nothing wrong with your decision to switch to WL, as all of the MK resorts (and all WDW resorts, for that matter) are great.

I like the Sunshine1010 suggestion of staying at both resorts. Maybe you can split your stay between the two, maybe a 4/3 or 5/2 split between WL/Poly. That way you get to save some $ and still experience both resorts.

CaptSmee
09-10-2008, 11:17 PM
You will love WL almost as much as the Poly! They are 2 of the best resorts we've stayed at! I love it there! Food choices are great, the pool is nice, you get a boat ride to the MK vs. a monorail ride, and the themeing is just as lush and fabulous as the Poly! You can't go wrong at either resort! Enjoy!:thumbsup:

BeccaO
09-11-2008, 10:45 AM
This is an excellent question, because for our next trip in January we had narrowed it down to Polynesian and Wilderness Lodge. We chose WL, and though we have never stayed there, I have spoken to people who have and read all the posts here about it. I stayed at the Polynesian a long time ago, not since I have been married with kids though and it does bring back really good memories. We usually stay at the GF and decided this time we would try something new and different. I really don't think you can go wrong with the WL!!

Ropachs
09-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Hey, does this mean you can get an extra $900 of souveniers???? :cart:
Well, I didn't think so, but isn't that a fun thought?! :cloud9:

Gregandmel
09-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Thank you all so much for the great feedback! Just what we needed, and now we are super-excited again! Still have ressies at O'Hana's our first night, so will be sure to keep those and YES - now we have more $$ to spend on all things Disney!! Woo hoo! I'll be sure to post after we return to let you all know what we thought - but it sure sounds like we aren't going to be disappointed! Thanks again everyone!! :-)

grwoolf
09-11-2008, 05:51 PM
Have stayed at both multiple times and WL is our favorite. We like the WL resort theming, dining, and layout much better. The only thing we miss from the Poly is the larger rooms and Monorail to MK and Epcot(short walk to ttc). There is something very relaxing about WL that we don't get at Poly. WL also has a Hot Tub (poly does not). We love the boat from WL to MK (maybe better than the monorail), but usually take the busses back at night due to the wait.

bringbackhorizons
09-12-2008, 03:23 AM
This is a good a thread, I was going to start a similar one myself :thumbsup:. We are currently in the very early planning stages of our next trip, we have a 10 month old baby and hope to have another next year, so it's going to be a long way off. Since it's going be such a long way off, and our first visit as a family :D, we had decided to save a little harder and go for a deluxe resort. We had narrowed it down to between the Poly and the WL, but have decided to go with the WL so it's really good to hear such postive comments. :party:

WDW1208
09-13-2008, 05:26 PM
We loved WL and really did not care for the Poly. Nothing bad happened and the resort was beautiful, just did not care for it. WL is one of our faves and we would stay there again in a heartbeat yet we would not return to the Poly. Enjoy the WL and the extra $900!

Darbylew
09-13-2008, 05:38 PM
I think you will love the WL. It is a great place
to stay. I know you will have a fun time. We
are going in October as well. We are staying at
POFQ. Looking forward to getting back in the
land of MICKEY and the MAGIC. :mickey::D