PDA

View Full Version : off property??

ToDisney
09-08-2008, 03:53 PM
OKAY, I know off Disney property really isn't the way to go... well that is if your going to Disney. But my family of 4 and another group of with 2 very young children, won't be spending but "one day" max at Magic Kingdom. (if that)
So here I am (the one who everyone in my family comes to for Disney info) going to Orlando for 4 or 5 days, we will be going to Sea World for 2 days and the kids want to swim at the "resort" for a day.
HELP!! Where should we stay???
We would like somewhere that has a kitchen/ kitchette so we can save money, buying dinner out for this group will break the bank quick. And a great pool, for the little ones.
Any advice is will be wonderfully appreciated!:mickey:

medic9016
09-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Check into renting a house with a pool. We did this a few years ago because we had so many people and it worked great and saved us alot of money. Here is the one we used and it's an INTERCOT sponsor. All star vacation homes. (http://www.intercot.com/resorts/nearby/allstar/default.asp)

Marilyn Michetti
09-08-2008, 04:54 PM
I went with three girlfriends, and DD flew in from Phila., so we had a suite in Kissimee, with a kitchen for about $129 a night. The hotel offered paid transportation, (which was AWFUL), but if you have a car, it wouldn't be bad. Slept eight, had dishes........

Staying on property is terrific, and I'd never leave SOG, it's not imperative to having a good time at Disney. They, (I THINK is was Maingate East), had a big pool, and complimentary breakfast. ?????????:confused:

It's hard to take a family anywhere sometimes, and we all have to do what we can when $$'s tight.

andreallybadeggs
09-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Almost any hotel search site for Orlando will include condos. Many are very reasonably priced and have nice pools. We've personally stayed at Orange Lake, Oak Tree Plantation, and Orbit One and enjoyed them all. Prefer Disney resorts but, as I've posted before, when you can get much more room, a kitchen, and a washer/dryer in your unit for less $ it's not all bad staying elsewhere now and then.
Have not rented a villa before but know that many have had very good experiences with all star vacation homes.
Enjoy the research.

caryrae
09-08-2008, 05:33 PM
Check into renting a house with a pool. We did this a few years ago because we had so many people and it worked great and saved us alot of money. Here is the one we used and it's an INTERCOT sponsor. All star vacation homes. (http://www.intercot.com/resorts/nearby/allstar/default.asp)

I agree!
We rented a house one year and it was really nice. Nice having 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms, full kitchen, washer and dryer, living room, dining room table, and our own small fenced in pool. We had 11 people total and it worked out great and it was only $700 for the week. We used an on-line place called Villadirect.com

big blue and hairy
09-08-2008, 06:38 PM
I agree!
We rented a house one year and it was really nice. Nice having 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms, full kitchen, washer and dryer, living room, dining room table, and our own small fenced in pool. We had 11 people total and it worked out great and it was only $700 for the week. We used an on-line place called Villadirect.comAlthough I would first go through Intercot to check it. You may get a better price, and remember that new server wasn't cheap! :D

:sulley:

pandkx3
09-08-2008, 07:16 PM
The Doubletree Inn is reallly nice with a great pool and kitchenette. There is transportation to and from the parks which runs every 30 min. It's almost within walking distance to downtown disney.:mickey:

Disneyfamilyof3
09-08-2008, 08:55 PM
We stayed off property only once: when we were in our fifth wheel, coming back up fromthe Keys, and wanted to stop back at Fort Wilderness. Well, there were no more openings at FW, so we stayed a mile away at a place called the Tropical Palms Resort. While, yes, it is a very cool rv resort, they also have cottages and cabins on property for people who don't care to rv. These cottages and such have every ammenity , including flat screen tvs, ac, hair dryers, etc. Most can sleep 6, I think and rates are like $145 a night or so. Yes, they have kitchens. Yes, there is a very nice pool there , as well as laundry facilities and a kiddie pool. We really liked it there. It's right by "Old Towne";... which was a *huge* hit with my 12 year old son.

This is the only place I know of personally.

OogieBoogieMan
09-08-2008, 11:05 PM
I definitely recommend trying a home. We have two 2 year olds and a 9 year old and while we liked staying on site, we have never looked back. I suppose I am a bit biased because we have a home that we rent, but we have really been very happy with it. If you have any specific questions just let me know.

ToDisney
09-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Thank you all for the input. I really like the idea of a rental house. The ones I have found so far seem to be on the otherside of Disney from SeaWorld. The location for Disney would be great, but not so for the drive to SW where I think more days will be spent.
I have an offer from my AAA agent at the Blue Heron Beach Resort. Has anyone heard of it, or been there????
It is a good price and looks nice online.
But that isn't always enough, I'd love to hear from someone who knows first hand.
(ok, or at least knows someone whos been.):blush:

Thanks for all the help!!
If you know of a house in the SW area...
I'm all ears:mickey: !

tink'72
09-09-2008, 11:46 AM
We stayed off property for years. I had a little one who was very active. We always rented a house in a great gated community and loved it. The kids had their own rooms and plenty of room to spread out. They loved having the pool all to themselves and the house is on a fantastic lake that allowed them to fish which they loved.

PM me if you would like the link I've always used.