PDA

View Full Version : marathon weekend

handmaidenofprincesses
09-08-2008, 07:05 AM
does anyone know the marathon weekend schedule, or where I can find it? my travel agent said that they run right through the parks! our trip will only overlap with the marathon for two days, but nonetheless, I don't want to run into a wall of people....

Sunshine1010
09-08-2008, 10:39 AM
which marathon?

Imagineer1981
09-08-2008, 11:00 AM
if you go to Disney.com and follow thinks to the Wide World of sports complex, you'll see the schedule, or type in disney marathon on yahoo. Unfortunately the half is closed already and the full is as well I think. They fill up almost a year in advance!!

TinkerbellT421
09-08-2008, 11:18 AM
Im not sure, but I dont think they run thru the parks. We were there for the marathon on year and they were running around the outside perimeter of the boardwalk area. But again I could be wrong. We stay away from the parks on weekends all together. and the marathon takes place on weekends so we havent been to the parks for it. Im sure someone will be along shortly with more info for you. But again I am assuming by saying they dont and I would assume cant, the crowds would be impossible, to actually run directly thru the parks...But again Im assuming. And have only seen them running around the areas of the boardwalk and the outside walkway of epcot. But I could be mistaken.

ThanxForNoticin
09-08-2008, 12:13 PM
The runs do go through each of the parks, but early in the day. I think the half and full marathons begin around 6AM to minimize any impact on guests going to the parks. I expect the second half of the marathon is probably run outside of the theme parks. Running through the theme parks is something unique these runs can offer. As a previous poster said, you can get more details on the Wide World of Sports link.

dmallan
09-08-2008, 04:55 PM
We were at DHS last year during the marathon and yes the route goes right through the parks. There were crossing guards stationed at various points along the route to let pedistrians cross. And you just had to wait there until there were no runners. That same day we took the boat to BC for lunch. The runners were running along the path there as well. That was around Noon and I believe they told us the runners were heading to the finish line at Epcot.

wdwjoe
09-09-2008, 01:06 AM
My wife and I have done the marathon the past two years. The 1/2 is on Saturday and starts at Epcot, runs to MK and then back to Epcot. The race is over by about 10 am. World Dr. is partially closed. The run through MK will be before opening. The EPCOT run is just into future world past the fountain and then back out.
On Sunday is the full marathon. Starts at Epcot at 6 am and hits MK. Runs down half of Main St, so doesn't really block traffic. Then heads towards AK. Will run in AK during park hours. The course runs through an area that is in between the AK lot and the front gate, so they have cross guards to hold traffic back until there is an opening in the runners. Please don't cut the runners off-wait patiently for the right time to cross-get there an extra 15 minutes early.

Then the course heads into a back entrance of DHS and back towards the front gate, and towards Epcot. Runs along the boardwalk and then into World Showcase at the UK pavillion. Lap around WS and FW and then out a east entrance and to the finish.

Be prepared for some streets to be blocked or rerouted. Also, feel free to cheer on the runners. It was my first marathon and when you hit mile 20, you need all the cheering and support you can get, no matter who it comes from.

Meteora
09-09-2008, 11:03 AM
wdw joe, I am very impressed. My friend is training for the NYC marathon, so I can see firsthand how difficult such an endeavor is.

Based on your experiences, would you advise skipping the parks that weekend? I will be arriving the Friday before, but we'll be dealing with sort of unreliable transportation, so we'd like to try to avoid crowds as much as possible to make up for the fact that we likely won't be able to get to the parks at opening.

DisneyMomma23
09-09-2008, 01:58 PM
we were there during marathon weekend in 2006 and it really didn't affect our times at the park or slow us down in any way. we were at DHS and while waiting for the park to open everyone got to cheer on the runners, we have great memories of that day. Once inside the park while waiting to cross the street we watched jasmine and aladdin cheering on the runners with the rest of us, if anything it added to the magic for us. the 1/2 marathon didnt' affect us at all, i don't think we even saw the runners.

wdwjoe
09-09-2008, 03:11 PM
I would say it won't really affect you. On Saturday you will see little effect. On Sunday, you will see the runners, but it won't hold you up for more than a couple of minutes. No effect at MK, slight impact at EC (but more fun than anything, getting into AK is a little harder due to crosswalk, minimal impact at DHS.
I would say go and cheer them on. By the time the parks open, it is all of the slow people like me, so the cheers are needed.

SAHDad
09-09-2008, 05:23 PM
wdw joe, I am very impressed. My friend is training for the NYC marathon, so I can see firsthand how difficult such an endeavor is.

Based on your experiences, would you advise skipping the parks that weekend? I will be arriving the Friday before, but we'll be dealing with sort of unreliable transportation, so we'd like to try to avoid crowds as much as possible to make up for the fact that we likely won't be able to get to the parks at opening.

This is from the an electronic copy of the 2007 Race Information Guide, but the 2008 was pretty much the same, IIRC. Here's the short version of the info for the marathon (Sunday):

Marathon
If you plan to watch the start of the marathon, you must arrive at EPCOT by 5 am on Sunday. The viewing area for the start is limited. To see the first finishers for the marathon, you should arrive at EPCOT between 7:15 and 8; however, please be prepared for delays, as the Auto Plaza will not open until the Auto Plaze entry road is cleared of runners and race-related items.

EPCOT Center Drive - start
5:55 am Wheelchair
6:00 am Runner

6:20 am - 7:05 am - 4 miles
Remain in the same location as the start viewing area. All Marathon participants will pass this location

TTC
6:50 - 8:35 am - 9 miles
Accessible only by Monorail

Magic Kingdom/Main Street USA
6:55 - 8:50 - 10 miles
Accessible only by Monorail

Floridian Way
7:10 - 9:25 - 12.7-13 miles
Accessible by Monorail

Animal Kingdom
7:25 - 10:40 - 16.5 - 17.3 miles
Accessible by car

(From this point on, it notes that a theme park admission will be required to view any portion in an actual park)

Disney Studios
8:05 - 12:20 - 23-23.5 miles
Accessible by car

EPCOT
8:15 - 1:00 - 25 - 25.9 miles
Accessible by Monorail or car

Marathon Finish - Imagine Parking Lot at EPCOT
8:20 - 1:00
Accessible by monorail, event bus or car

Viewing areas at resort hotels
6:45 - 8:40 Contemporary (we had a good, though distant view, while eating at Chefg Mickey's in 2006)
7:05 - 9:10 - Grand FLoridian
7:08 - 9:20 Polynesian
8:10 - 12:40 - Yacht and Beach Club

Addendum - if you are a runner, and you want your family to see you, you need to be wearing something highly visible or outlandish. If you are a spectator, and you want to be seen by your runner, have a huge & outlandish sign, cowbells, etc. It's hard to find a single runner or a small crowd of spectators in the sea of humanity, especially as you pass each other. It does help to know your pace, and be able to say "Main Street is 10 miles. I should be there about 7:20 or 7:30, but start looking for me at 7:15, and don't quit until you see me, or 8:00, whichever comes first."

Anyway, because of the sweeping rules (the marathon sag wagon requires a 16-minute pace, though they only collect stragglers at certain checkpoints), the course begins to reopen fairly early. So, MK is clear and done by 10 am, AK by noon, DHS by 1:30 and Epcot completely done by 2:30 (or so - the exact maximum time is based on when the last person crosses the start line.)

For the half, since it only runs from Epcot to MK and back, you probably won't see them, unless you are out really early.

If you go to disneyrunning, I think they have more comprehensive maps, which list street closures - important if you are not using Disney transportation to get to the parks.

TinkerbellT421
09-10-2008, 10:46 AM
The Marathon is planned for January as follows:

2009 Walt Disney WorldŽ Marathon Weekend Jan 8-11, 2009
Disney's Health and Fitness Expo Jan 8-10, 2009
Family Fun Run Kids' Races Jan 9-10, 2009
Disney's 5K Family Fun Run Jan 9, 2009
Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge Jan 10-11, 2009
Walt Disney WorldŽ Half Marathon Jan 10, 2009
Walt Disney WorldŽ Marathon Jan 11, 2009

sdewan
09-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Definitely go into the parks BECAUSE of the marathons. Not only will there be a lot of people watching the runners, leaving the attractions slightly less crowded, but it is a spectacle that you should witness. There is so much energy and enthusiasm in the crowd it's like watching any other sporting event. But unlike other sporting events, you're likely to see many athletes dressed like Minnie Mouse or Peter Pan.

(and if you happen to see me run past this year, please call my name and cheer. You have no idea what a positive effect that has on runners!)