PDA

View Full Version : Space mountain seats

Madzac
09-07-2008, 10:46 PM
My DD6 is wanting to try Space Mountain on our next trip. She had loved every other coaster she has tried. I know the seats on this ride are one in front of the other... but does anyone know if a small child can sit in the same seat with the parent or if they have to be in the separate seat? I dont think she would want to ride if I wasnt able to hang on to her! Anyone know?

LauraleeH
09-07-2008, 10:55 PM
You definitely have to be in your own seats. Two people couldn't fit even if they were allowed. If your daughter is tall enough, go ahead and show her some videos and figure out ahead of time if this is something you guys would like to do :thumbsup:

Madzac
09-07-2008, 10:57 PM
Thanks so much! I just found some pictures online of the ride vehicles and it definitly looks like it is a one person only thing. Good advice to show her the video/picture and let her decide.

Thanks!

KAT1811
09-08-2008, 09:07 AM
Years ago you used to be able to sit two in a seat. I can remember my father holding onto me on my first Space Mountain ride. Now they only allow one in a seat. You can always wait in line have your DD check the ride out and decide if she wants to ride. If she decides last minute that it is not for her just tell the first CM you encounter and they'll show you the way out.

thrillme
09-08-2008, 09:13 AM
I'll never forget the first time my DS and I rode space mountian. He was in the seat in front of me. I kept noticing this blinking red light on the floor of his seat. But it wasn't in mine. We rode it again...this time we sat one seat back from where we previously were. (So he was in the seat I was in before)...Again the blinking red light. But it wasn't in "my" car.

The red light became an obsession...

We rode it a THIRD time before I realized that is was his "blinky shoes" going off at the vibration.

But yes...only one person per car or I might have found my red light sooner. I think "Disneyland" has two per car....that might be part of the "upgrade".

bkfree
09-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Last trip my daughter, age 6, had her first ride on Space Mountain. I never thought to check the seating, also remembering the "old" seats from my childhood.
So there we were ready to climb aboard, when I realized that it would "every man to himself".
Didn't faze her though and she climbed right in.
All I could see was her hair flipping around over the seat on the ride.
When we got off her eyes were big as saucers and she told me she thought she just had an "actual heart attack".
But she was ready to ride again and we got right back in line.
It was late EMH and almost no line and this was good for her first time.
But she is also very independant and loves every fast ride.

Imagineer1981
09-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Yep, 1 per seat, but if you sit behind her, you can reach around and put a hand on her shoulder. Just wait until you clear the CMs

Kenny1113
09-08-2008, 11:07 AM
Yep, 1 per seat, but if you sit behind her, you can reach around and put a hand on her shoulder. Just wait until you clear the CMs

I did this with my DS7 on his first time riding it( he was 5) Works really well!!!!

Madzac
09-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Thanks everyone! I too remember the old seats and had told her that when I started qestioning it. Thanks for the advice and it is good to know I can reach around and put my hand on her shoulder if need be!

wdw_bound
09-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Another vote for the hand on the shoulder (although, if I'm truthful, it was more about my need to make sure she was there than about her needing me to hold on :blush: )

Goes4FastPass
09-08-2008, 01:21 PM
I too sit directly behind my younger rider with a hand on her shoulder. Works 100%.

CleveRocks
09-08-2008, 03:52 PM
My DD6 is wanting to try Space Mountain on our next trip.
Hopefully, your next trip will be before the end of the year. Beginning some time in January, Space Mountain will be going down for a 14 month rehab. We'll miss it when we go in February.

buzznwoodysmom
09-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Another vote for the hand on the shoulder (although, if I'm truthful, it was more about my need to make sure she was there than about her needing me to hold on :blush: )

That is exactly how I feel. When my youngest rode for the first time I made him reach back and hold my hand through the whole ride. I still reach over and put my hand on their shoulder, and I wonder why they always want to ride in front of dad instead of mom!

BriarRose
09-08-2008, 05:16 PM
I think "Disneyland" has two per car....that might be part of the "upgrade".

Disneyland has always had side by side seats.

DisneyFanaticDargon
09-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Yeah, and they wouldn't be part of an upgrade either, as they require a larger (read: wider) track than the one that currently exists at WDW's Space Mountain.

dixielandings
09-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Hopefully, your next trip will be before the end of the year. Beginning some time in January, Space Mountain will be going down for a 14 month rehab. We'll miss it when we go in February.

OH!!! This is great news! I've ridden the "new" SM at DL - it was down for 2 YEARS! But it was worth the wait. I was hoping the WDW version (which seemed kinda boring to me after the DL version) would be undergoing the same transformation. I know 14 months will be interminable for my favorite ride to be closed but the payoff should be great.

And any kid should feel safe with a parent in front or behind. Even though you have to sit alone, the seat and restraint make you feel very secure. I hope she loves it!

MickeysEars
09-09-2008, 09:51 AM

oh, for the love of PETE!! I just convinced my daughter that Space Mt. is super cool and she finally got excited about it. We are going in March! However, with suce a long rehab, they could be doing what Disneyland did and replace the entire track with added inversions. Which is sad because I have not been on it in years and if they do change the track to resemble RRC like in DL I won't be going on it again. :(
Anyone know?

Madzac
09-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Has the rehab been confirmed? I had heard this two and then a CM said there was no current plans, it was all rumor. I too had finally convinced the kids to try it and we will be disappointed if it is down!

Well if it is, they will be that much older next time and maybe mom will be less nervous for them to ride as well!

MNNHFLTX
09-09-2008, 01:11 PM
oh, for the love of PETE!! I just convinced my daughter that Space Mt. is super cool and she finally got excited about it. We are going in March! However, with suce a long rehab, they could be doing what Disneyland did and replace the entire track with added inversions. Which is sad because I have not been on it in years and if they do change the track to resemble RRC like in DL I won't be going on it again. :(
Anyone know?There are no inversions (going up-side-down) on the updated version of Space Mountain at Disneyland. In fact I don't believe the design of the track changed at all, they just made it faster and smoother and added/changed some of the special effects. So if they refurbish Space Mountain in a similar fashion at WDW you might find that it's still a lot of fun.

CanadianFan
09-09-2008, 01:42 PM
If your DD is petite, she might be in for a rough ride. Our DS7 was in tears after when he bounced up against the restraining bar on the first drop -- he was so torn between the pain in his tummy and the thrill of the ride he didn't know whether to cry or cheer! :blush:

Mrs Bus Driver
09-09-2008, 03:04 PM
There are no inversions (going up-side-down) on the updated version of Space Mountain at Disneyland. In fact I don't believe the design of the track changed at all, they just made it faster and smoother and added/changed some of the special effects. So if they refurbish Space Mountain in a similar fashion at WDW you might find that it's still a lot of fun.

:exactly: You are right the track is the same except smoother so it feels as if you were going faster.

As for your 6 year old if she is ok with it then do it but don't push her into it. My DD wouldn't ride a coaster until she was 12 now at 21 she is a coaster junkie. You could also tell her that it doesn't go over 25 mph. It is just that it is dark and there are fans blowing on you to make you think your going faster. Hope this helps :mickey:

Nurse Kim
09-09-2008, 08:15 PM
Are there huge drops on this ride? I rode EE and about had a heart attack but had to admit it was a blast. My girls want to ride this when we go in March.

dixielandings
09-10-2008, 08:54 AM
No inversion, no big drops. SM is mostly about FEELING like you're going fast and out of control b/c of the dark and what feels like a really confined space. There is one longer-than-the-rest "drop" right in the middle of the ride but nothing like what you see and experience on EE. You should love it!

Wickster1970
09-11-2008, 01:11 PM

A 14 month rehab? Isn't that a long time for a ride be down? That's the entire year! I sure hope that it isn't, this is my DS's first trip to an amusement park and he is really looking forward to the coasters.

Mrs Bus Driver
09-11-2008, 08:54 PM
A 14 month rehab? Isn't that a long time for a ride be down? That's the entire year! I sure hope that it isn't, this is my DS's first trip to an amusement park and he is really looking forward to the coasters.

In DL it was closed down for 2 years, we missed it but it was well worth it. The smoothness of the ride, new special effects and the music. It is like a whole new ride and much better then it was before. :mickey:

pixiesmimi
09-11-2008, 10:57 PM
Also, don't ride in the last car. It is rougher than the others, especially for a first ride.