PDA

View Full Version : any tips for flight booking?

bouncer
09-07-2008, 08:33 AM
We have our room/tickets booked but I've been looking at flights and what used to run from $99 to $139 each way has now jumped up to $229 each way plus fees. Overall we are talking about $1354 for 3 people. :eyes: We lost one of the major carriers into Milwaukee and when you lose competition prices go up. I also know that we are flying at a premium time (4/13-4/18/09). We are picking early am flight for departure and about Noon departure for return. The flights look to be about 40-50% booked. I don't want to move dates around because that is DS school break. Also checked from Midway rather than Milwaukee and that will save $200. We'd have to drive about 110 miles to get to Midway Airport. I think that I tried to cover all my bases.

Could you please give me some tips about when to book? I've been watching Airtran's prices everyday for about a week now. Should I wait for a fare sale to be announced or should I go ahead & book thinking that the price won't change much due to the season? I am worried that we could wait too long & the plane will fill up or we won't get to sit where we want.:help: :plane:

mouseketeer mom
09-07-2008, 09:39 AM
Have you tried Yahoo's fare chase? I really like it..It quickly figures flights and times and fares for any airport and destination. It quickly figures the least expensive option. Also..I wouldn't worry about where you sit. I have always changed seats around at the gate when we weren't able to assign them as we would like. I've never had a problem with the airline accomodating us to all sit together.

thumperbug
09-07-2008, 09:46 AM
I would book asap. You don't want to get shut out of the flights you want altogether.

Same thing happened to me. Prices are insane. I booked one airline just to have flights (these are cash refundable) and waited on another discount airline to release their dates and prices. They ended up even more money.

So, I am bitting the bullet, paying obsene prices but I have my confirmed flights on an airline that is not known to change their flights or cancel them. Better safe then not flying.

tomorrowschild
09-07-2008, 09:56 AM
That is pretty much the same as us. We are used to paying much higher prices then many of you in the US. We were lucky to stumble onto a $740 fare- round trip- everything incuded. We booked this in July and we are also going in April. I watch the price go up everyday. It is up to $1300 as of yesterday. I would agree with the above poster book quickly because you don't want to get shut out.:mickey:

Cheloconnell
09-07-2008, 10:23 AM
Whatever you do, I would highly advise not to use AirTran. They changed our flight so many times and then shutdown in one airport and moved us to another airport not even close to the last - it was riduculous. All of this while not notifying us. I stumbled upon it myself. I will never even think of flying with them even if the tickets were $50 a piece. The airlines that seem to have the least amount of changes are Southwest and Jet Blue. I am not sure if these fly where you live. Good luck - but don't wait too much longer. Friday, Jet Blue opened through end of April and we booked our trip without hesitation. It is a tough week both $$ wise and finding a non full flight at the times you want.

luvdiznee
09-07-2008, 10:31 AM
...was wondering about the same thing too. I got an email from Jetblue that for members their booking is open up until April 2009 as of Sept 5 (not sure if it has now expanded to all) but I was looking for flights for April 09 to Vegas and was kind of wondering if I should be booking now. Even though flights are about $400 r/t. Doesn't seem they will get any better. :thedolls:

thumperbug
09-07-2008, 11:38 AM
We so many airlines cutting flights or going out of business, it is worth the extra $$ to book now on a reliable airline such as Jetblue or SW.

bouncer
09-07-2008, 02:00 PM
Airtran is our only option that flies nonstop out of Milwaukee. Other option was Midwest airlines who no longer flies direct, has Northwest operating some of their flights and may not be in business in April. I've flown Airtran 3 or 4 times and have never had a schedule change. I could fly out of O'hare or Midway but love the size & convience of Milwaukee. I guess I'll check yahoo fare chase & if things don't change in the next couple of days I may end up just booking it.

TheMartellFamily
09-07-2008, 06:06 PM
You could also try out of Madison, or O'hare too. I just keep looking and looking but SWA out of MIdway has been the least expensive in the area. I also look under each airlines and have an open mind about times, and dates, this will make it less expensive too. There are other Websites that are for the travel industry that you can look up too to help save money.

TheRustyScupper
09-07-2008, 06:35 PM
1) You might reconsider Milwaukee.
2) The gas cost and parking fees at Midway could eat all the savings.
3) As far as booking, usually the earlier the better.
4) Usually, the price does not keep going down.