PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Questions

TinkiTime1989
09-06-2008, 02:11 PM
We are looking into possibly going on our first cruise next year with my aunt and uncle as well as my cousin, her husband, and their little boy. Our party would consist of me, my parents, and my best friend. Most of the cruise-lines list a standard interior stateroom as having 2 twin beds that make a queen. However, they also say that they can accommodate 4 people. I don't see how this could possibly be comfortable. Would we be alright having 4 adults in one stateroom or would we be better off booking two? Also, what cruise-lines provide the best "bang for your buck"?

Disney Lynn
09-07-2008, 08:49 AM
Wow! I'm not sure where to begin! Since you (apparently) have not cruised before, I suggest using a "brick and mortar" Travel Agent who specializes in cruises. Ask friends and neighbors for a referral. There are lots of possibilities which can be overwhelming as you start to choose the perfect cruise.

Also, look at a cruise info website called CruiseCritic (all one word- www dot cruisecritic dot com). Check out their pages on "first time cruisers" and on "choosing a cruiseline".

You don't mention where or when or how long you are interested in cruising. (Alaska, Caribbean, Europe? summer, fall? etc?) Most of the mainstream cruiselines (NCL, RCL, HAL, Celebrity, Carnival, etc) have a vast variety of offerings, plus many different ship sizes.

As for an interior cabin that sleeps four: two passengers will sleep in beds that drop down from the wall (think of them as bunk beds). Each night, the cabin steward will drop them down and then put them up in the AM. If you have four adults in one cabin, you will really get to know each other very well! (Unless you opt for a suite, etc). I personally think you will enjoy your first cruise much more if you have two cabins. Although you won't spend much time in the cabin, getting four people dressed for dinner in one cabin (with one small bathroom) will be a challenge.

Tick-Tock
09-07-2008, 11:47 AM
As for an interior cabin that sleeps four: two passengers will sleep in beds that drop down from the wall (think of them as bunk beds). Each night, the cabin steward will drop them down and then put them up in the AM. If you have four adults in one cabin, you will really get to know each other very well! (Unless you opt for a suite, etc). I personally think you will enjoy your first cruise much more if you have two cabins. Although you won't spend much time in the cabin, getting four people dressed for dinner in one cabin (with one small bathroom) will be a challenge.

I'm going to agree. My DH and I usually book an interior because of the price, but I sure wouldn't want any more than the two of us in the room! One idea would be to book a balcony and an interior across the hall.

Cinderelley
09-10-2008, 01:39 AM
I agree that 4 adults in a room would be very cramped. If you can afford it, I would go with two rooms. If not, it can be done if you plan it out well.

We really enjoy Royal Caribbean. It depends on what you are looking for though. If you want a "party" boat, look at Carnival. Royal Caribbean's a middle of the road cruiseline.

BelleLovesTheBeast
09-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Royal Caribbean is a great cruise line. Beautiful ships, great food and very nice and helpful staff. I also have heard great things about Disney and Norwegian.

However I strongly recommend not going with Carnival. They have gone downhill and there is no bang for your buck. The last time I cruised with them I felt like I wasted my money and will never cruise them again.

I'd go with 2 rooms. The 3 and 4th beds are pull downs that are in the walls.

Someone else mentioned Cruise Critic. They have some really great deals. You might also want to check Travelzoo.

Have fun planning!