PDA

View Full Version : Is your school's spring break after Easter?

bouncer
09-04-2008, 09:20 PM
We just booked our next trip for April 13-18, 2009. :wave:Easter is April 12th. I am curious if most schools have their break at this time or before Easter or earlier in March. Since we have been several times we plan on taking this trip pretty easy. No park commandos this time. Early park visits, maybe more Poly volcano pool visits and hotel sightseeing than we normally do. DS is in private school so I am not sure how most public schools are scheduled. When do your schools have spring break?? Do you think that the busy time will be before or after Easter?? :ebasket:

bkfree
09-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Our spring Break in Alabama is the last week of March.

MuchLovedMama
09-04-2008, 10:51 PM
My kids are out 4/6-4/13

disneygeek84
09-04-2008, 11:00 PM
Most Texas schools are out mid-March. My husband teaches in the Denton ISD and he's out mid-March. Along with my parents who both teach at a community college in North Central Texas.

tink'72
09-05-2008, 08:00 AM
Up here in Boston we are out the week of April 19th.

Tinkerfreak
09-05-2008, 08:21 AM
our is April 17th through the 26th. Most school in Maine have the same week off with a couple of exceptions.
With the high cost of heating oil this year I don't think I know anyone who is planning to go this year besides us. Staying warm is really taking a huge bite out of peoples budgets. Also the cost of flights is outrageous and being 1200 miles away just makes it not worth driving all that way for a week because you lose days of driving time.

scootch713
09-05-2008, 01:58 PM
Where we live, people only have friday and monday off(both at the public school where my husband teaches and the private school my kids go to). My kids school is having issues now about taking kids out of school.... but with no spring/winter break..... it leaves most of us no choice. Only other option in Christmas and I am not going to to do that one.

SBETigg
09-05-2008, 02:08 PM
Our break this year is April 18-26(counting Saturday to the following Sunday). The "best times to go" tip suggests that the weeks before and after Easter are very busy weeks. I haven't been during the Easter break time since it was just the MK (long time) so I have no idea how it is then.

bwk99
09-05-2008, 02:13 PM
The Oklahoma schools typically have their spring break the 3rd week of March.. This year should be the same.

MNNHFLTX
09-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Most Texas schools are out mid-March. My husband teaches in the Denton ISD and he's out mid-March. Along with my parents who both teach at a community college in North Central Texas.
This is true. My son's school always has their Spring Break mid-March.

As far as crowds at the parks, I think you will find that they are pretty busy starting from the beginning of March right through the end of April, with the biggest crowds usually in early April.

Jen C.
09-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Up here in Michigan (I hate to say Detroit area...thanks Kwame), the kids have off the week after Easter.

bouncer
09-05-2008, 08:22 PM
My kids school is having issues now about taking kids out of school.... but with no spring/winter break..... it leaves most of us no choice. Only other option in Christmas and I am not going to to do that one.

Due to my job Christmas break is not an option. We have "end of the month" closing. I can never take a vaction over a 30th, 31st or 1st & 2nd of a month. I have to take all vacations mid-month. This vacation we scheduled during his spring break (the week after Easter) is really our only option other than pulling him out of school. I'm not opposed to it but I wanted to try to schedule with the break.
Like I said in my original post I plan to try and take it easier anyway. So hopefully it will work out ok. Thanks for all the input!:mickey:

bigbabyblues
09-06-2008, 07:32 PM
DS goes to a small private school, he gets Good Friday and the Monday following Easter and that's it for spring break.

Nurse Kim
09-06-2008, 08:25 PM
We went mid-March and the crowds were not as bad as people warned us they would be. It was our first trip and we were pleasantly surprised. We never waited more than 20 min for any ride.

Dyanna
09-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Here on Long Island Spring Break varies this particular year for some reason. Certain districts have off the week before Easter heading back to school the day after Easter Sunday & other districts have off the week of Easter.

donnah77
09-07-2008, 11:49 AM
Our town in CT has the week after Easter off, however it is coincidental as we always have the second week of April off. Other towns around us are a week before or a week after us.

We went the second week of April this year and it was much less crowded than I had anticipated. We will go the same week next year too, expect much bigger crowds, and also plan to take it easy since we go annually. We have little kids, so we just tour on their schedule. :mickey:

BronxTigger
09-07-2008, 01:41 PM
NYC Public: April 9-19, 2009.

This encompasses Passover, Good Friday, and Easter.

RedSoxFan
09-07-2008, 06:06 PM
The schools in Lansing, NY (Central) have Good Friday and the following week off for Spring Break.

Ropachs
09-07-2008, 08:58 PM
We're in Western New York and a few years ago they changed the spring break vacation. Instead of 2 full weeks off at once, we have one week off in February and one in April. This year, the April week coincides with Easter, but if Easter were earlier, like late March, the kids would only have Good Friday off. I thought lots of areas were changing to this, but maybe not according to everyone here...good to know!

Tink#64
09-09-2008, 12:21 AM
My DS's attend a private school here in Lousville and their Spring Break this year is the last week of March/first week of April. Usually their breaks coincide with the public schools in our area. This is about 2 weeks earlier than last school year. We were in WDW this year for Spring Break, during the second week of April, and I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised! The crowds were very managebale & we used Fast Passes quite a bit, but never waited in a stand by line more than 20 minutes. That's not saying that all the lines were short, not by any means, we just had to be creative & smart & utilized the FP system as much as possible! We are also those people that are in the parks at opening! I'm a huge beliver in that! Crowds are much more manageable in the early morning, with noticeably larger crowds by lunch time!

So even with the busier times, you can still have a wonderful trip if you plan accordingly! :thumbsup:

Nurse Kim
09-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Our kids have off the last week of March.

the other micki
09-09-2008, 08:52 PM
The kids here in Louisiana have off the week after Easter (which is the week you're going!)