PDA

View Full Version : Inquiring minds want to know... will it rain everyday this trip too? Pre-Trip Report

Jeff G
09-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Cast: Jeff (me), Cheryl (DW), Ray (my Dad), Nancy (my Mom), Karissa (DD age 12), Chase (DS age 9), Peyton (DS age 3) & Madison (DD 1 year)

A quick refresher, last year we made our third pilgrimage to WDW with my parents. Through their first two trips they encountered rain everyday which prompted my mom to ask "does it rain here everyday?". After spending each day asking ourselves the very question it was fitting that the trip report title should be The Will It Rain Everyday? Trip. The answer to that question was it did. Most days were sun filled with only a few minute shower so overall the weather was great but in the end my parents have been to WDW now 20+ days and it's rained every single one of them. A word to the wise, don't go the same week as my parents:D (and obviously I'm not one of the wise:dizzy: :trio:).

After bouncing back and forth on hotels (sorry Wendy form MJ's:D) we ended up deciding on the Pop Century Resort taking full advantage of the free dining plan. Last year we had excellent luck with the buses at the POR but we're not pushing our luck two years in a row so we rented a van this year.

We've assembled the same cast from last years soggy adventure to see if we can pull of a trip without rain on at least one day for my parents. Our adventure departs on September 20th and we will be staying nine nights this time to better our odds. Our family moto, when in doubt just keep trying.

In addition to the starring cast we will also have many other in supporting roles this trip. My brothers family, Randy & Lisa and their three kids Caleb, Nick & Abby along with Lisa's mom, Angie will joining us on our grand gathering adventure at the Pop Century. Our friends Mike & Deb (plus their four kids) and Todd & Janet (plus their three kids) are staying off site will also join us at the parks. And in case thats not enough my neighbors Pat & Lisa (and their two kids) will be staying at the Caribbean Beach resort and will also be meeting up with us. To save you the math thats a total of 29. Everyone arrives within a day of each other and leaves within two days of each other and yet none of us pre-planned it, purely coincidence(or so they tell me, they all consider me the WDW guru:thedolls:). Neither Todd & Janet or Pat & Lisa have ever been to WDW so my goal for the week is to try to make the trip as magical as possible for them.

Since we are such a large group planning the past few months has had it's challenges laying out plans so we are at the parks some of the same days with the group while allowing everyone the ability to still have their own vacation. Because of this my original ADR's I made 180+10 days in advance have been scrapped, including LeCellier. Finding dining for a group of 8 or more during the free dining promo just 45 days prior to arrival was a challenge. Here is our itinerary for dining:

Sunday: Boma
Monday: Grand Gathering Experience at Epcot (to celebrate my nephews birthday)
Tuesday: Free - I think were going to try the Pepper Market at Coronado Spring.
Wednesday: Kona
Thursday: Sci Fi (for the kids:ack: )
Friday: Breakfast - Chef Mickeys
Dinner - Cap Maye (my dad loves clams & oysters)
Saturday: Biergarten (my dad loves German food)
Sunday: 'Ohana (my dad's favorite ~seeing a trend here?)

We tried to have a nice mix of entertaining meals, buffets and table service meals catering to kids of all ages(myself included).

Anyhow, I've rambled plenty long but it worked we'll. I just killed 30 minutes on my countdown timer. Thanks for listening and remember if you are in WDW the last week of September to have those rain ponchos handy.

iluvdizney2
09-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Ok, I am going to go re-pack now....
I am going with my daughter, and 2 other people who have NEVER been. One of them is our nurse and the other is her daughter. We have a wedding we are going to, then the parks....we arrive the 21st and leave the
26th...so I am assuming we better be careful of rain...
We went one yr in January and it was the coldest it has ever been in WDW. we bought gloves and hats there and it RAINED every day except one. But since then I have been numerous times and not had any rain at all.
Maybe my luck with good weather will cancel out the bad luck you have with rain. Or at least maybe it will only rain a little bit and be nice for the both of us to enjoy!
BTW, we are at POP too...I love that place!

Meerkat
09-04-2008, 10:38 PM
It should dry out a bit around here by the end of September. Unless the hurricanes keep marching in.

Anyway, have a great Disney vacation!

badkitty
09-05-2008, 01:10 AM
Thank you Jeff for the rain gear tip! I will be there for a weekend excursion starting on the 19th.

Have a great time. I can't wait to hear your reports with a group of 29!

ChipnDaleGal
09-05-2008, 07:38 AM
Oh my goodness, what a great big fun group you have!! Rain or not, I am sure that you will all have a great time. It will be fun to see all the newbies as they experience the wonder of a WDW vacation. I hope your parents get some sunshine laden days and that you all have a wonderful trip. Love your family motto, I bet that gets you through a lot of trouble spots! :mickey:

tinkerbell04
09-05-2008, 11:50 AM
WOW! That is a big group! I hope that you have a great....DRY.....trip :) I can't wait to hear the reports when you return.

Lizzie
09-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Wow! What a huge group. Have a great trip and hopefully you don't have rain everyday.

Momof2boys
09-05-2008, 02:20 PM
Boy, you sure are brave - 29 people ! Have a great trip, Jeff. I'm sure that it's really the 4th time that's the charm for no rain.

Don't forget to sign up for the Brewers playoff lottery . . .

RedSoxFan
09-09-2008, 08:02 AM
Have a great trip. Keeping my fingers crossed that you have dry weather this time. But I'm sure either way, everyone will have a great time.:mickey:

Figment78
09-10-2008, 12:52 PM
Oh boy - we'll be there sept 19-24 too. RAIN RAIN STAY AWAY!!!

:mickey:

Have a great trip! What fun to have so many family and friends to spend time with in WDW!

faline
09-15-2008, 08:41 PM
I'll keep my finger crossed for some dry weather for you and your group! Wow! What a large group! You certainly ought to have fun with that many folks to share a trip with!

tinamousketeer
09-15-2008, 09:01 PM
I was just wondering are the parks still open and operating when it rains. I will be there sept 20-28 and was hoping for some nice weather considering here in southern ontario it rained all summer long. So with everything booked what do we do in the rain

Figment78
09-16-2008, 12:55 PM
Yes the parks are still open and operating during the rain. There are tons of "inside" places in many of the parks that you can enjoy. In fact, it wasn't until I went to DL in California where everything is outside, that I realized how much of WDW was INSIDE! (Example: Its a Small World loads inside in WDW and outside in DL) You can definitely still enjoy in the rain!