PDA

View Full Version : Rumour: Soarin' Movie set to Change

MegaDisney
09-04-2008, 05:53 PM
RUMOR: The Soarin' movie will change to a more global theme. By late 2009, both DCA and Epcot will feature a new movie that has a global theme, rather than being focused only on California.

BrerGnat
09-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Really, has Disney officially announced this? If so, that's totally exciting! I love this ride, but to be honest, I'm a bit tired of Soarin' over the same landscape, and having lived in CA for the past 15 years, and having seen all of that in person several times over, it's just "eh" to me by now. I would LOVE a new "Global" movie. Heck, I'd even love a new movie that focused on more of just AMERICA!

Bring it on! :thumbsup:

MegaDisney
09-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Really, has Disney officially announced this?

Updated thread to include that this is a Rumor. But I have heard it from more than one source.

big blue and hairy
09-04-2008, 06:35 PM
I predicted this would happen (in WDW) about the time Soarin' opened, although I think the posters where a giveaway.

That would also explain why the film hasn't been replaced with a better print.

:sulley:

JPL
09-04-2008, 06:41 PM
This rumour has been circulating for quite some time now. Nothing official has been announced and as far as I know they haven't started to shoot the film yet. I think it's definately a project on the table but will likely end up on the back burner with the redo of DCA and other more pressing project like DHS. The 2009 date seems a bit close since it took over a year to plan, shoot and edit the current film.

Sunshine1010
09-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Wooooohoooo....can't wait to see it (if this is true). But I have to be honest...I still like the CA one. I've only seen it about 5 times.

I wonder if they'll go ahead and fix the little black spots on the screen?

I take the Ferry
09-04-2008, 11:02 PM
...I wonder if they'll go ahead and fix the little black spots on the screen?

I was there this last week, in the theater to the left (concourse 1?) I always seem to end up on that side. I noticed, several times, the black spots and the recurring dust.

I am happy to report that those spots are now gone! In concourse 1, at least.

Woohoo!

K, Slater!
I take the Ferry!

brownie
09-05-2008, 07:02 AM
I don't mind the current movie, I just wish they would eliminate the abrupt transitions. There should be some way they could dissolve the transitions better.

Diznee4Me
09-05-2008, 08:03 AM
I don't mind the current movie, I just wish they would eliminate the abrupt transitions. There should be some way they could dissolve the transitions better.

I was thinking the same thing when I was watching it last week. A better transition would be nice but, all in all, a great ride.

SpecJoe Magic
09-05-2008, 09:40 AM
Even though it's just a rumor at this point, I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen. However, late 2009 sounds too optimistic. I expect that it will arrive later than that if it does happen.

I really hope that this is true. I like the attraction as it is, but I think a global film has more potential than the current film.

mcjaco
09-05-2008, 11:34 AM
One, I do not like Soarin'. I think it's boring, and one of the most unimaginative rides to come out of Imagineering.

Two, I hate that it's part of The Land. It makes no sense being there. I especially do not like how it's destroyed the sight lines behind Canada. It was a half thought out addition, only becasue of it's popularity at DLR.

Three, to restore my faith, they need to turn it into something that really reflects the pavillion it's in. The Land. I want to see majestic mountains, rain forests, prairies as far as the eye can see, etc. Make it tie into what the rest of the pavillion is teaching.

jpH/keD
09-05-2008, 03:39 PM
I love the oranges and the pine smells! I hope they keep those in!

My very favorite part is at the end when you are up in the fireworks and it feels like you are flying w/ Tinkerbell!!! So fun! Escape-ism at its best!! :cloud9:

But new stuff would be cool too!!!!! No more Grumpy guys around here! :D:thumbsup::):):)

pink
09-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Soarin is busy enough as it is, can you imagine the line if they decide to re-do it? I think it's a great idea to incorporate more of the world, but maybe they should wait a few years until the excitement of this ride dies down. I also think the transitions are a little too sudden. :mickey:

wilshade
09-06-2008, 03:04 AM
I am pretty sure that there had to be an update plan in place when they first created the Soarin' attraction. Changing out movies would extend the life of the attraction. So, one might think that new movies were gonna be made according to the schedule.

DigitalDaredevil
09-08-2008, 01:24 AM
I agree with the comments on the transitions. I wonder why Disney would pay so much for a wonderful attraction and not realize that the scene transitions were not very fluid? I thought about that on my first ride, although I still love the ride.
Having an alternate movie/ride is a great way to keep an attraction fresh and interesting. It is the scenery that makes it so enjoyable in my opinion, plus the oranges.

big blue and hairy
09-08-2008, 08:26 AM
I am pretty sure that there had to be an update plan in place when they first created the Soarin' attraction. Changing out movies would extend the life of the attraction. So, one might think that new movies were gonna be made according to the schedule.

Exactly my thought. I'm sure the movie has been in production for a while.

Ed
09-08-2008, 01:26 PM
When Soarin' first opened in FL, the prevalent rumor was that a Florida-specific film was being made, but I just can't see that happening. Among other things, about the only "mountains" we have are the many landfills, affectionately known collectively as Mount Trashmore.

What I'd REALLY like to see is an assortment of different "tours" (hopefully digital to eliminate the shortcomings of film - scratches, spots, etc.) that are randomized so that you have a chance of seeing different versions each time you ride. And I also agree that smoother transitions are needed between scenes.

Imagineer1981
09-08-2008, 05:05 PM
One, I do not like Soarin'. I think it's boring, and one of the most unimaginative rides to come out of Imagineering.

Two, I hate that it's part of The Land. It makes no sense being there. I especially do not like how it's destroyed the sight lines behind Canada. It was a half thought out addition, only becasue of it's popularity at DLR.

Three, to restore my faith, they need to turn it into something that really reflects the pavillion it's in. The Land. I want to see majestic mountains, rain forests, prairies as far as the eye can see, etc. Make it tie into what the rest of the pavillion is teaching.

Couldn't agree more!!!

MegaDisney
09-08-2008, 08:37 PM
When Soarin' first opened at DCA we had a discussion about the transitions. I never understood why they could not have used a transition simular to the opening where you come out of the clouds, just up into the cloud and then out again into the next scene.

MegaDisney
09-08-2008, 08:39 PM

Couldn't disagree more, I think it is one of the MOST imaginative rides to come out of Imagineering in a LONG time. Totally different from anything that was done before or since. IMHO.

JPL
09-08-2008, 09:32 PM
I have to say when I first rode Soarin back in 2002 at DCA I thought it was amazing. Now I could skip and not even care. Perhaps is the fact that at WDW they did the ride on the cheap and cut the capacity in half making the lines too long to make it worthwhile for me. But I definately think that the almost 8 year old film with the same experience has alot to do with it. I never understood why the rides that use film don't start out with more than one experience. I mean MS is cool but it's same mission every time the same is true of Star Tours and the now extinct Body Wars. I wish when Imagineering planned these rides they would have a few different films to mix up the experience and make it more exciting. I could even further and say the same being true of Stitch and AE before it. A slight variation would make the experiene much more repeatable and more exciting not always knowing exactly what to expect.

SFTrny
09-08-2008, 09:44 PM
Probably a difficult group to assess the appeal of a ride. I mean, really...I am guessing that most of us are many years over Disney attendees. But I wonder what percentage of WDW attendees we make up? Does anyone hae any idea what the percentage of WDW attendees are repeat customers ...with 2 year or less frequency?

It might be that 8-10 years is the right amount of time to expose the ride to the majority of Disney attendees. I don't know.

I do like the idea of a new video...which I would expect would be paired with new motion, new sounds, new smells, and new wind effects. What I think is really cool is that they could develop a library of "Soarin" rides over time and then load them on demand. Maybe have different experiences at different times of the day or season.

I like Soarin a lot, but I can see how it could get old if you ride it alot. But the idea that you can load new expereinces into the control element is realy exciting and interesting.

Imagine if you could do that easily with many of the other classics!

mcjaco
09-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Couldn't disagree more, I think it is one of the MOST imaginative rides to come out of Imagineering in a LONG time. Totally different from anything that was done before or since. IMHO.

How so?

I don't see how using an Omnimax screen with seats that lift and tilt, is very imaginative. And pumping in orange smell from Horizons? Blah.

big blue and hairy
09-09-2008, 03:19 PM
How so?

I don't see how using an Omnimax screen with seats that lift and tilt, is very imaginative. And pumping in orange smell from Horizons? Blah.

Apparently, an awful lot of people disagree with you. I guess you'll just make the line a little shorter. :D

MegaDisney
09-10-2008, 12:57 AM
How so?

The ride system is totally unique. Soarin is an attraction that can be enjoyed by the ENTIRE family, something many of the new attractions aren't and that many feel is the cornerstone of a good Disney Attraction. I think that fact alone makes it very imaginative, not just another roller coaster for the teens and in-betweens. I can take my Grandma and my neices and nephews on Soarin'.

I really don't mean to argumentative, each of us enjoys lots of different types of attractions.

MaxPower
09-10-2008, 04:20 PM
No matter how you look at it, Soarin is better than Food Rocks!

kemps@wdw
09-11-2008, 09:50 PM
Love the Soarin! :cloud9: I agree w/the other posters in that the film could be clearer (surely WDW has the technology), the transitions cold be smoother, but as far as the global theme goes... uh-uh! :nono: Something along a "Soarin Across America" would be more appropriate. (no disrespect meant to anyone) There are sooo many wonderful sights across our great land, that many people will never get to see. Why not bring it to them! Another alternative would be to change the theme periodically to acommodate everyone's preference (if it's financially doable):mickey:

big blue and hairy
09-12-2008, 08:50 AM
but as far as the global theme goes... uh-uh! :nono: Something along a "Soarin Across America" would be more appropriate. :
While there is certainly plenty for an amazing Soarin' Over America, of course a global Soarin' makes sense. Um...ahh...what's it right next to? The World Showcase?

big blue and hairy
09-12-2008, 08:52 AM
No matter how you look at it, Soarin is better than Food Rocks!:funny:

Boy...such heavy praise! :D

mcjaco
09-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Apparently, an awful lot of people disagree with you. I guess you'll just make the line a little shorter. :D

I'm about making all of your trips that much more fun! ;):D There are others out there, that don't like it either, we just much smaller in numbers. :mickey:

I really don't mean to argumentative, each of us enjoys lots of different types of attractions.

I didn't see it as argumentative. I just don't get the fascination with Soarin'. I was interested in your reasoning into thinking the way you do. ;)

I'm a thrill ride nut, but my favorite rides were always Horizons and Peter Pan, so I enjoy the family rides just as much.