PDA

View Full Version : Flying

Insanity Clause
09-04-2008, 03:26 PM
I have what may be a stupid question. I will be flying to WDW in April with my husband and three of our five kids for my birthday!!! My quetion is this, none of my kids have ever been on am airplan before and I am confused as to whether or not they will need some sort of id. They don't have driver's liscence or anything like that, they are all under 10. They do not have any sort of school id card either, I homeschool them. I am just not sure that the airline policy is and yes, I could call them but I thought that I would start here.

disneygeek84
09-04-2008, 03:35 PM
When we went last year my sister was 16 but didn't have a drivers license, so she had to go threw the gate with my mom. Since all of your children are under 10, then they just have to be with a parent when they go threw the gate.

Or at least that's how it was in March of '07.

ryca1dreams
09-04-2008, 04:07 PM
They will not need an ID as long as they are with you. They will probably be asked their name or something simple like that or maybe nothing at all if they are really young. They will still have to go through normal security procedures (taking off shoes and all) so you may want to explain that to them ahead of time.

Donald
09-04-2008, 05:07 PM
Security just asked my kids what their name was and how old they were. No ID was required.:mickey:

Tick-Tock
09-04-2008, 05:12 PM
The TSA website says that the ID rule applies only to passengers 18 and older.

But you may want to consider making up some sort of laminated cards or other form of ID for the kids with basic contact info in case they get separated from you.

Jasper
09-04-2008, 05:23 PM
As others have said Identification rules only apply to 18 and over. However, when our children were underage and before they reached middle school which is when our local schools start issuing ID we went to our local Bureau of Motor Vehicles and got a state issued ID. Just for reference this was in the state of Indiana and all we had to do was take the child and his/her birth certificate and they created an ID for them.

I know each state is different but I think ours were good for 6 years but may be wrong about that. We found them handy to have for a variety of different things we have done. And, if you are going to travel outside the U.S. it also helps to have a state ID.

MelXThree
09-04-2008, 07:10 PM
I don't know if this was because we are from Canada flying to the US but even before passports we had to have the birth certificates with us. So I always travel with them now just in case :mickey:

dnickels
09-04-2008, 10:17 PM
I don't know if this was because we are from Canada flying to the US but even before passports we had to have the birth certificates with us. So I always travel with them now just in case :mickey:

Exactly what I was going to suggest, might as well have a birth certificate for each child just in case. The regulations could change in a week or even while you're on vacation due to things we can't predict (i.e. terrorism threats) and this way you've at least got something.

MuchLovedMama
09-04-2008, 10:54 PM
I called SW about this today to have peace of mind although people on here told me that I didn't need ID's for them & they told me the same. I will however take their birth certificates just in case! :mickey:

Insanity Clause
09-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Thank you all for your help you have helped ease my mind. Luckily I have the BC over at my mom's in her safe for the older three. I never got around to ordering it for the younger two but I think I will do that just in case but they won't be going with us on this trip and don't you know I am going to have to bring home something major for the 4 year old!

3AMommy
09-05-2008, 10:37 AM
You definitely want to check the website of the airline you are flying. We are flying out Southwest tomorrow and we have 3 kids under 9 going.

We have to have a copy of their birth certificate. You don't have to take the original. Also, Southwest has an online age "check" where you verify the child's age before you go to the airport. You have to do this like two weeks before your trip however.

Have a Magical trip!:thumbsup:
3AMommy