PDA

View Full Version : Just back - too much to tell:

andywicks
09-04-2008, 01:42 PM
..our 1st Disney Cruise: just about a perfect 4 nights (except some weather) - booked again for next year (7 nights). Highlights:

Castaway Cay (twice) - Snorkelling, jet skis, kids club, cycling, relaxing (cocktails! Hic!)
Kids club 0ceanears' Lab went down very well with our 10 year old daughter
Food excellent
Shows were excellent especially Toy Story - Sid was superbe! ("I am the Van Gogh of Violence!..I am the Da Vinci of Destrutcion!...."etc)
Wine package was good - can recommend the Iron Horse Celebration Cuvee (Exclusive to Disney) ..we certainly tried enough of it):marg:

..also our first trip to AKL. Overall we loved it. Highlights were:

The animals - we saw loads, including Crested Cranes hatch their eggs - and feed their <1 day old chicks! fantastic!!
The Pool
Ambience / theming

Some niggles were:

Lack of storage in the room (this is termporary DVC , so perhaps it will better in Kidani Village?)
Far too loong waits for buses on a couple of occassions and at times when we would expect the most buses to be running - 1) early entry at MK and 2) returning immediately after Illuminations, Reflections of Earth from EPCOT!
The location is a bit further than we are used to at VWL / OKW. But we would still return because of everything else (and having DVC points there!)
I was surprised that the hotel didn't give us a guest feedback form for "continuous improvement" etc..so we could let them know. I didn't feel the urge to seek them out and complain...

Thoughts on the latest trip to the Parks:

Weather was variable but we still had a great time!
New Toy Story ride at Hollywood studios is excellent fun!
Dissappointed with the latest updates to Illuminations, relfections ... "No earth" ..is this just budget cuts?
Compulsory 18&#37; tip now added to Disney Dining Experience bill is OK, but I am still not sure why such a gratuity is justifiable at buffet restaurants??? We also found out that the card is not taken at the Yak and Yeti! This has left us wondering whether Disney are trying to close this scheme down by stealth by making is less attractive as it must cost them money (and they are trying to sell the Dining plan hard to everyone?)
Food at restaurants was good
Food at Bistro De Paris was excellent!
Food at the living seas Coral Reef restaurant and the view was fantastic!
Iron Horse Celebration cuvee continued to be a favourite.:marg:
Revised Spaceship Earth is very good - I preferred the old narrator, but otherwise the updates are great.

All of this is only my humble opinion and I am sure some will disagree! I'd value people's thoughts?
:mickey:

andywicks
09-04-2008, 02:03 PM
..I need to diet now! ..for 6 months!:mickey::secret::ack:

Mousemates
09-04-2008, 02:04 PM
a nice report for a trip where there was "too much to tell"....sounds like you all had a great time.:thumbsup:

Sunshine1010
09-04-2008, 02:32 PM
I think they are fixing 'the earth' from Illuminations. It will be back.

Y&Y isn't on the dining plan anymore? Is that what you meant?

goofyfan4466
09-04-2008, 03:09 PM
..our 1st Disney Cruise: just about a perfect 4 nights (except some weather) - booked again for next year (7 nights). Highlights:

Castaway Cay (twice) - Snorkelling, jet skis, kids club, cycling, relaxing (cocktails! Hic!)
Kids club 0ceanears' Lab went down very well with our 10 year old daughter
Food excellent
Shows were excellent especially Toy Story - Sid was superbe! ("I am the Van Gogh of Violence!..I am the Da Vinci of Destrutcion!...."etc)
Wine package was good - can recommend the Iron Horse Celebration Cuvee (Exclusive to Disney) ..we certainly tried enough of it):marg:

..also our first trip to AKL. Overall we loved it. Highlights were:

The animals - we saw loads, including Crested Cranes hatch their eggs - and feed their <1 day old chicks! fantastic!!
The Pool
Ambience / theming

Some niggles were:

Lack of storage in the room (this is termporary DVC , so perhaps it will better in Kidani Village?)
Far too loong waits for buses on a couple of occassions and at times when we would expect the most buses to be running - 1) early entry at MK and 2) returning immediately after Illuminations, Reflections of Earth from EPCOT!
The location is a bit further than we are used to at VWL / OKW. But we would still return because of everything else (and having DVC points there!)
I was surprised that the hotel didn't give us a guest feedback form for "continuous improvement" etc..so we could let them know. I didn't feel the urge to seek them out and complain...

Thoughts on the latest trip to the Parks:

Weather was variable but we still had a great time!
New Toy Story ride at Hollywood studios is excellent fun!
Dissappointed with the latest updates to Illuminations, relfections ... "No earth" ..is this just budget cuts?
Compulsory 18% tip now added to Disney Dining Experience bill is OK, but I am still not sure why such a gratuity is justifiable at buffet restaurants??? We also found out that the card is not taken at the Yak and Yeti! This has left us wondering whether Disney are trying to close this scheme down by stealth by making is less attractive as it must cost them money (and they are trying to sell the Dining plan hard to everyone?)
Food at restaurants was good
Food at Bistro De Paris was excellent!
Food at the living seas Coral Reef restaurant and the view was fantastic!
Iron Horse Celebration cuvee continued to be a favourite.:marg:
Revised Spaceship Earth is very good - I preferred the old narrator, but otherwise the updates are great.

All of this is only my humble opinion and I am sure some will disagree! I'd value people's thoughts?
:mickey:

did you say jet skis ?, where were the jet skis ?,did you have to have reservations to ride them ?,thanks a bunch. i'm trying to put together a trip to surprise my wife & kids,possibly 2010 ( a 7 day cruise & some time at the world ),my wife has been wanting to jet ski for a couple of years now.

ChipnDaleGal
09-04-2008, 03:14 PM
I am so glad that you had such a good time on your cruise. How lucky that all these storms brewing in the Atlantic didn't ruin your cruise. Thanks for reporting! :mickey:

KylesMom
09-04-2008, 03:16 PM
Sounds like you had a great time, andywicks! Thanks for sharing. The cruise sounds especially delightful!

Perhaps he was referring to the Disney Dining Experience card, not the dining plan. I think that if the DDE becomes too much of a burden, they'll cease to offer it any longer. Our experience was at one buffet, they would include the 18% gratuity (Crystal Palace), while at Chef Mickey's they discounted our meal but did not include the 18% gratuity. Strange!

Lizzie
09-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Sounds like a great trip. Can't wait to do a Disney cruise some day.

dtootsie42
09-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Sounds like it was a terrific trip. Thanks for sharing! :mickey:

iheartmickey
09-04-2008, 05:15 PM
Sounds like a really nice time! Thanks for sharing! :mickey:

tinkerbell04
09-05-2008, 09:24 AM
Thanks for sharing such a great report!

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Sounds like a great trip...I hope the earth thing at Illuminations is just temporary

andywicks
09-08-2008, 01:08 PM

Sorry, I didn't explain this very well! I have a "Disney Dining Experience" Card which I believe is available to Florida residents and Annual Pass holders at around $75.

It gives you a 20% discount on food and drink at most of the table service and buffet restaurants in the Parks and a few at DTD. Since we got this and with a decent £/$ rate and a tail wind we have enjoyed eating at places like Brown Derby and some of the other more expensive restaurants.

This year the scheme has changed to add an automatic 18% gratuity once the 20% has been deducted. ..still saves me money, but I like to have the option to tip as I see fit...

Sunshine1010
09-08-2008, 02:22 PM
Andywicks --- totally agree with you.

We used the Deluxe Dining Plan in January, and they gave us a choice of 18% tip or 20% tip. At every restaurant, they waited right there for me to choose the tip. When we go back in December of this year, we will be bringing cash for the tips....so WE can decide on what the servers deserve (and I used to wait tables!)

NJGIRL
09-10-2008, 03:44 PM
The Disney cruise is alot of fun. Glad you had a good time.

pdrlkr
09-12-2008, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

Diznee4Me
09-12-2008, 12:41 PM
Thanks for sharing your report with us.:thumbsup:

princessgirls
09-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Thanks for reporting!

Seems like a wonderful trip to me.

Julie:mickey:

faline
09-16-2008, 06:52 PM
Yak & Yeti is not a Disney owned restaurant so they don't participate in the Disney Dining Experience but they will provide a 10% discount for annual passholders (on food only).

On this last trip, we were a bit confused. Some restaurants included the gratuity when we used the dining experience card. Others did not but only printed "suggested" gratuities. We couldn't figure it out!