PDA

View Full Version : Magical Express Tipping, additional question

brian2000boston
09-04-2008, 10:13 AM
I know this topic comes up often, so an early apology if this has overlapped anyone. I know I have seen listed here several times that people say yes to tipping the driver from the airport to the hotel. Does this also mean that drivers expect tips everytime we board the bus to get to or change locations for parks or dinner reservations at other hotels? This makes me think that this could really add up if we move around several times a day and thought that all transportation costs were included in the Disney package already???

Thanks in advance!

BMan62
09-04-2008, 10:46 AM
The only bus drivers that 'expect' tips are the DME drivers. The regular resort/park bus drivers do not expect tips.

The reason for DME drivers expecting tips is that they are actually contracted through Mears to drive the DME buses for WDW, they are not actually WDW employees.

dolphinmickey9170
09-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Also, the DME drivers are loading and unloading a stroller, your carryon, or maybe your bags if you grab your own at the airport.

Do, however, strick up a conversation with the park bus drivers. They are an awesome group of people with some great stories to tell. Some of them also have the transportation cards as well.

Spindrift
09-04-2008, 11:28 AM
The only bus drivers that 'expect' tips are the DME drivers. The regular resort/park bus drivers do not expect tips.

The reason for DME drivers expecting tips is that they are actually contracted through Mears to drive the DME buses for WDW, they are not actually WDW employees.

I'm sorry, I fail to see what who their employer is has to do with tipping.

If they handle my luggage, I don't have a problem with that but if I'm just along for the ride I can't see tipping them.

gmgdisneymom
09-04-2008, 11:37 AM
I agree with not tipping the resort/parks bus drivers - but the DME - I agree with the above - it only depends on the service. We never have luggage (hence taking the DME to begin with) But these drivers do seem to have more interaction with the riders.

Our last trip in June was fabulous - the driver was hysterical and told jokes etc - every time he said ME he said "Magical Exxxxxxxpressssssssss"

My kids loved it and now every time we talk about our trip, they ask if we are going on the "Magical Exxxxxxxpressssssssss"

He definitely got a tip

kakn7294
09-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Officially, the only bus drivers who are allowed to accept tips are the DME drivers (employed by Mears and contracted by Disney). The parks and resorts bus drivers (Disney employees) are not allowed to accept tips. A Disney bus driver who took us from the Boardwalk to POFQ (going out of his route - we were the only ones on the bus) explained this to us when we attempted to tip him for his kindness.

Disney Doll
09-04-2008, 01:52 PM

Disney employees can't accept tips so you definitely do not need to tip the drivers on property. The Magical Express drivers are not Disney employees and I think it's nice to tip them.

Beast_fanatic
09-04-2008, 04:02 PM
I tend to think of Magical Express as more of a shared ride service, and shared ride service drivers do earn tips (whether they handle luggage or not). Whereas, the Disney buses on property are more like a city bus, and therefore you don't tip them.

dismommy
09-04-2008, 07:33 PM
I basically view it the same as when we used to take the mears shuttle just now much nicer bus and loading area (does anyone else remember having to go to loading area for shuttle basically under the airport with exhaust fumes from all the cars and shuttles and wait?). I tipped the drivers then so I tip now.

Piglet822
09-04-2008, 11:22 PM

If they handle my luggage, I don't have a problem with that but if I'm just along for the ride I can't see tipping them.

I think the poster was merely pointing out the difference between the DME drivers and Disney Transport drivers. It is a common misconception that DME drivers (and DCL drivers) are Disney employees.

Belster
09-04-2008, 11:40 PM
I will be tipping the ME driver. I never gave it a thought until I read it in my Birnbaum guide as a suggestion to tip.

Great question!