PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone actually cancelled due to potential hurricanes yet?

eas423
09-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Just wondering if anyone has actually cancelled their upcoming trip yet due to the potential hurricanes?

medic9016
09-03-2008, 08:41 PM
No way. 17 day till we arrive at Fort Wilderness.

ryca1dreams
09-03-2008, 08:53 PM
I arrive on 9/10 right in the middle of them.

We're still going.

Strmchsr
09-03-2008, 09:20 PM
There's no need for cancellation. Right now it doesn't appear any of the upcoming hurricanes will impact WDW. That can change, but I wouldn't cancel unless a hurricane warning was actually issued for FL. That's the only time WDW will let you change your plans with no penalties.

carley
09-03-2008, 09:26 PM
i get a little panicky when i see the word hurricane pop up... being from ontario canada...its not normal for us

we go from sept 20-28 and looking forward to it

chris...aka strmchsr,,, you definately help ease the panick stricken canadian here
thank you
keep up the great work:thumbsup:

Minnie'smom
09-03-2008, 09:49 PM
We leave on Friday for our long drive from Ontario to arrive in Disney on Sunday. We have not cancelled our plans, but thanks to Chris aka Strmchsr, we have re-routed to the I-75 instead of the coastal highways just in case. I have been reading the weather updates everyday and I want you (Strmchsr) to know how much you have eased my mind and my travel plans. Thanks to you and the rest of the intercotees for answering ALL my questions before I even ask them.:mickey:

Strmchsr
09-03-2008, 10:10 PM
i get a little panicky when i see the word hurricane pop up... being from ontario canada...its not normal for us

I fully understand. It's the same reason here in Alabama cities completely shut down if there's just a snow flurry.:D

Hope you all have a safe trip!

tiggersgirl
09-03-2008, 10:17 PM
I can't wait! 24 days. Every time we go to WDW, it's this time of year- this year its Sept 27-Oct 4 and the hurricanes have never been an issue! Hope everyone has fun on theirs- no worries!:mickey:

kittenmariefan
09-03-2008, 11:21 PM
4 days left! DH is worried about the weather. We fly to WDW Monday 9/8. Thankfully I found this thread and Chris has helped to ease the hurricane worries for us. Will keep watching til we head to the airport. No turning back for us DD would be devastated:cloud9:

Polynesian Dweller
09-03-2008, 11:54 PM

we go from sept 20-28 and looking forward to it

chris...aka strmchsr,,, you definately help ease the panick stricken canadian here
thank you
keep up the great work:thumbsup:
Take it from another Ontario Canuck, go and enjoy, they'll take great care of you down there.

And it may surprise you, but here in Ontario every year we have several mid-latitude cyclones (low pressure areas) that have central pressures as low as tropical hurricanes (right now there is one in northern Ontario charted with a pressure of 963mb) and sustained winds at tropical storm speeds (higher than 60km). Its just that they aren't tropical storms but mid-latitude so not called Tropical Storms (won't bore you but the structure is different and they form differently but the pressures and winds are sometimes at TS levels).

As well, each year we have the remnants at at least Tropical Depression level of at least one hurricane ( Gustav is here Friday though may not be at TD at that time, the models disagree at this point) and TS are not unknown if the track is inland north of Carolinas. In other words, you have more experience than you know so you know you can take it in stride and enjoy yourself.

Mousemates
09-04-2008, 12:30 AM
No cancellations from us...DW is leaving Sunday for a week at AKLV...arriving just after HAnnah blows through and hoping Ike goes elsewhere...storms are just too iffy to cancel much in advance.

Diznut
09-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Nope -we're going! Leave Saturday morning bright and early. I just hope our flight has no delays. The NY area is expecting heavy rains and storms.

JoeMaz
09-04-2008, 09:07 AM
We leave on Friday for our long drive from Ontario to arrive in Disney on Sunday..:mickey:

We leave Friday as well from Central NY to make the long journey down. We're trying to time it right so we miss most of the bad weather. We have an overnight stay in Savanna, GA planned right now but that could change. I will definately check out I-75 as an alternate route.

disneygeek84
09-04-2008, 09:45 AM
We're leaving bright and early on Saturday morning to drive down and the only thing that has changed is the roads we're taking. Since Gustav hit Louisiana we're having to avoid going south until we're out of LA.

Other than that, we're just praying that Ike stays out to sea!

2MuchWDFun
09-04-2008, 11:32 AM
No way would we cancel...I did check StrmChsr's report (Thanks for the outstanding, up to date reporting!), but I figure that Florida and WDW know how to handle a hurricane. Can't wait to fly in next Tuesday!

Stay away, Ike!

ellematt
09-05-2008, 11:15 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. We were just there for 2 weeks and Fay came right over us. I have to say it was GREAT! There was rain (being from Seattle this was no big deal to us!), but we just wore ponchos and flip flops, it was still about 80-85 out! The parks never closed, and the great part was NO CROWDS!! We rode ride after ride with no wait and many times didn't even have to get off! This was for Thunder MT. Splash MT. and Expedition Everest....etc.. Epcot and Hollywood were the busier parks due to many things being inside, but all in all a great time was had by all of us, me, DH, and 2 DS (11 & 14). Spent time in DTD, boys at Quest, us at Adventurers Club, etc...we all thought it was great being there during the storm. So, don't worry, have a great time!
One thing I have to say though, is that when Free Dining started, there was a DEFINATE increase in the number of people!! We were staying at Beach Club, and before/during the storm it was pretty much to ourselves, however, as of the 24th the hotel and parks became very busy! Not as bad as we've seen it before, but just busier than it had been.
Have fun!

azdisneymom
09-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Now way, no how. We are actually hoping to be able to say we survived a hurricane at WDW. As long as our flight in isn't affected we would go.

JIMINY13
09-06-2008, 12:07 PM
UNFORTUNATELY, we got the call from the airline this morning at 1 AM that our flight out of NY Sunday morning was cancelled due to Hannah. So to our dismay we are not coming down this week. :sob:. We will have to wait until our trip, which is already booked, 4/30/09-5/10/09. We are really bummed. We were really looking forward to the MNSSHP. There is always next year!