PDA

View Full Version : Airline ticket required for child turning 2 on trip?

poohbearkris
09-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Does anybody know if the airlines would require that you buy a ticket for a child who will not be 2 when you leave but turns 2 mid trip and would be 2 on the return flight home. We are contemplating 2 different times next year and one is over my son's birthday. It may be a deciding factor if we don't have to purchase a ticket for him. Thanks.
Kris

mulderxcoltrane
09-03-2008, 03:44 PM
It depends.....
The only airline we contacted when we had the exact same issue, that would allow our child to fly free both ways was United. We call all major airlines 3-4 times and documented who we talked with each time. United was the only one (in late 2007) that would let him fly free on both legs.

KAT1811
09-03-2008, 04:01 PM
You would most likely have to have a ticket for him on the return flight. Most of the time the airline will require proof of age if the child trtaveling is close to the 2 year old cut off. (When we traveled with my then 10 month old they asked if I had her birth certificate for age verification. Luckily she was so young, and small, I didn't have a problem) Depending on what airline you are flying you could just buy a one way ticket for the return flight ahead of time. If you chance it you could end up either paying an arm and a leg for the ticket if there is a problem on the return or you could get bumped from the flight all together if the flight is full.

We are in the same situation on our next trip. Our DD#3 will be turning 2 on our trip but we decided to get her a seat on both legs. I cannot imagine trying to make her sit for 3 hours if she is not in her carseat. She sat great last year (at 10 months) but this year would be torture.

Good luck!!!

TheRustyScupper
09-03-2008, 04:50 PM
1) The rule is age-2-buy-a-ticket.
2) Please do not try to skirt or cheat the system.
3) It is not fair, nor is it right, nor is it justifiable.

NLODisney
09-03-2008, 07:35 PM
When I was flying to MCO with my friend and her then 6 month old baby who was a tiny little guy we were asked for his birth certificate which we did not have with us. He was clearly a baby but the lady checking us in insisited that she had to see some sort of proof that he was under two. Apparently she couldn't see well- luckily my friend had his shot record with and she let us use that however then she thought he was 2 months old because he had had shots in Jan and she thought that was his birthday.

mulderxcoltrane
09-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Original Poster:

As long as the airline allows him to fly free if he turns 2 over your trip - you are not skirting the system.

Spindrift
09-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Airlines have been asking for proof of age for all under 2's to avoid problems. If they make everyone do it they can't be accused of "why didn't you ask that person for their babies ID?"

It's the same at my local supermarket when I buy beer. I get carded everytime and I'm 47. in fact they have to type in a birthdate or the register won't let the purchase go through.

Jen C.
09-04-2008, 11:44 AM
To answer your question, you would be required to purchase a ticket for the return leg of the trip.

Since this might be a one way fare, and a round trip might be more economical, I highly suggest purchasing a ticket. I also suggest this from the standpoint of safety, and comfort for your enitre family. We bought DD a ticket at 18 months last year, and it was the BEST money we spent all trip. ;)

gmgdisneymom
09-04-2008, 11:53 AM
No matter what you do - make sure that you have the birth cert with you. They can refuse to allow you to board with out it

Insanity Clause
09-04-2008, 12:22 PM
See, I don't remember then ever even asking for a birth cert. on Southwest. I flew with my daughter in '05 and I never had an official Birth Certificate for her. I don't remember showing any kind of proof if I did it would have been a shot record or a social being that was all I had at the time. I would call the airlines and see what they suggest.

KAT1811
09-04-2008, 02:51 PM
See, I don't remember then ever even asking for a birth cert. on Southwest.

We never had to either but on our last couple trips they have been asking.

Catzle
09-04-2008, 05:07 PM
Start Quote" 1) The rule is age-2-buy-a-ticket.
3) It is not fair, nor is it right, nor is it justifiable."End Quote

I don't think she was trying to do any of things, just asking a question and looking for information and a truthful answer.

Sometimes you read these boards and some people assume you are going to cheat, steal and break the rules. But most of the time we are just looking for information.

KAT1811
09-04-2008, 10:39 PM
Start Quote" 1) The rule is age-2-buy-a-ticket.
3) It is not fair, nor is it right, nor is it justifiable."End Quote

I don't think she was trying to do any of things, just asking a question and looking for information and a truthful answer.

Sometimes you read these boards and some people assume you are going to cheat, steal and break the rules. But most of the time we are just looking for information.

I agree, pessimism at it's worst.

bkfree
09-04-2008, 10:55 PM
I also think I would buy the ticket just in case.
The airlines have gotten alot more intense wit checking ID on children that look like they could be anywhere near the age of two. Even at the parks I know a few that were asked for ID for kids that were close to the ticketable age.

The problem with calling and asking the airline, to me, is this. Even if an airline rep on the phone tells you that since your child is under 2 at the time she redeems the first part of the trip ticket and can return home the same, without a ticket, that person is not the one who will check you in at the airport. Whether or not to let her fly free will be up to their discretion and I would hate to have that issue at boarding time. Telling them that someone on the phone told you that you did not need a ticket for her return would really not hold much water.

For us personally, we always bought our children a ticketed seat when we flew, once they were a year old. They were much happier not being in our lap. They were much more content to have a place of their own to play, nap and use the tray table for snacks and toys. They were much happier flyers and so were we, as were the people sitting around us.
So for us, it wasn't really an age thing but a comfort thing, so we bought a ticket for them.
It was also a safety thing, because they were safely strapped in the car or booster seat in their own seat. This would not have been possible in our laps.
If I were flying with a child that was 2, then their is no doubt I would buy a ticket.

LisaP
09-05-2008, 12:09 AM
My son just turned 3, and when we went in June I did not purchase a ticket for him. He is small for his age and US Airways did not ask us for any proof of age. I carried him through security and he sat on our laps for the flight.

I would not do it again because lightning usually doesn't strike twice :secret:

I wanted to add when DH asked the reservationist on the phone, she told him that if DS was small enough to sit on our lap, we would not need to purchase a ticket. So I didn't "intend" to cheat ... and you better believe we had her name/info handy :)

MegaDisney
09-05-2008, 12:14 AM
I agree, pessimism at it's worst.

I doubly agree!!!

The world would be a better place if people didn't always assume that others are trying to cheat!

Assume positive intent!!!

Jen C.
09-05-2008, 09:11 AM
My son just turned 3, and when we went in June I did not purchase a ticket for him. He is small for his age and US Airways did not ask us for any proof of age. I carried him through security and he sat on our laps for the flight.

I would not do it again because lightning usually doesn't strike twice :secret:

I wanted to add when DH asked the reservationist on the phone, she told him that if DS was small enough to sit on our lap, we would not need to purchase a ticket. So I didn't "intend" to cheat ... and you better believe we had her name/info handy :)

I am really surprised by one's desire to even try this. I'm curious, was it a saving money thing that led you to do this? The rule is quite clearly under 2 no charge, 2 and over pays a fare. I don't mean to sound as though I'm judging you, but I could never personally imagine doing such a thing. Just curious for the motivation :confused:behind. "Small enough" is so open to interpretation. There is nothing that I've seen that says, "under 30 lbs, and under 34"". And wouldn't the ability to fit in an adult lap deoend on the size of the adults lap? I'm quite petite, and I'm sure that a person of a larger stature could "fit" a larger child on their lap then I could mine. Also, I'm not sure what good a reservationist name would have done you at the point of checking in and boarding an airplane. It would sort of be like, "that lady over there said I could!" A true roll of the dice. I guess I just never roll the dice where my kids are concerned. I'm too worried about the message it sends to their sponge like minds. :)

Jen C.
09-05-2008, 09:13 AM
I doubly agree!!!

The world would be a better place if people didn't always assume that others are trying to cheat!

Assume positive intent!!!

I agree to this too, but look at the other example in this thread of someone blatantly cheating the system. This pessimism does come from somewhere. :blush:

mulderxcoltrane
09-05-2008, 11:17 AM
The problem with calling and asking the airline, to me, is this. Even if an airline rep on the phone tells you that since your child is under 2 at the time she redeems the first part of the trip ticket and can return home the same, without a ticket, that person is not the one who will check you in at the airport. Whether or not to let her fly free will be up to their discretion and I would hate to have that issue at boarding time. Telling them that someone on the phone told you that you did not need a ticket for her return would really not hold much water.

However - if you get names/ID/Badge #'s from the agents (be sure to talk to more than one), exact time/date you spoke to them - I would doubt an airline would deny you - as long as you had documented your calls.

Again - the only airline I found that would allow a child to fly free on both legs who turned two over the trip, was united, so we flew them. If you don't feel safe - buy a ticket - but any travel agent will tell you (as ours did) if you have names, times, etc - you should be fine.

Dyanna
09-05-2008, 12:35 PM
We are flying on Delta this coming Nov with our DD whom will turn 2, 5 days after we return from our trip. We did not have to purchase a seat for her after I booked the seats for the rest of our family I called Delta to let them know that we will have a Lap Baby flying with us. They asked me for her name & birthdate & told me to make sure I have a copy of her birth certificate with us prior to boarding. Once they turn 2 a seat must be purchased for them but at a discounted rate.

bkfree
09-05-2008, 10:58 PM
However - if you get names/ID/Badge #'s from the agents (be sure to talk to more than one), exact time/date you spoke to them - I would doubt an airline would deny you - as long as you had documented your calls.

I posted that having someone tell you that on the phone or even in person when you inquire may not matter when you get ready to board because I have seen this happen twice in person.

The child in question looked between 1 and 2, and the family was asked at the gate for proof of age, which they did not have for the child that was flying free.
When they told the gate agent that they who exactly told them that they did not need a ticket, it did not matter in the least. Both time the airline rep repeated to them that it clearly states on the website and at the ticket counter brochure that any child under age of two that is flying free must present proof of age when boarding. It was pretty much cut and dried.

One family had to buy a ticket.
The other family took a later flight while waiting for a family member to fax the birth certificate to them.
Again, neither a scenario I would risk.
And again, it is a safety issue for us. Our children being in a child safety seat in their own airline seat is the recommended most safe way for them to fly.
Safety over monetary for us.

poohbearkris
09-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Wow, I didn't mean to open a can of worms with all of the pessimistic attitudes. I was not looking to cheat the system, only looking for what the rule was. I know when you go to Disney World they look at the birthdate at the time of arrival if you need a ticket, and I didn't know how the airlines rules were. Was just looking for an answer. I think I have it. Thank you everybody. As far as documenting who you talk to, I experienced trying to redeem some travel vouchers last year and after making arrangements with somebody over the phone, having their name, date and time, we spoke with them, we went to the airport a few hours later to redeem the vouchers and get our tickets issued and they would not do it even with the name of the person. So, I think the point to take away from all of this is to just buy the ticket. The only reason why I thought I may not buy one was that my older DS spent half of the trip in my lap when we was over 2. Thanks for all of the replies.
Kris

bkfree
09-07-2008, 10:30 PM
Poohbearchris-
I hope you don't really take the answers posted as purely pessimistic attitudes. When you post a question on an open forum, this means that you want all the answers and opinions, not just the ones that may agree with you.
I think we were all honest in our answers and sharing what we do or would do.

In the case of dealing with a particular airline, the best option is to ask and deal directly with the airline, because for them it will be their individual policy and procedure and the answer will be black and white.
So on this subject, each of our opinions here won't really count, just your airlines rules.
Exception, being the few of us, that for comfort or safety reasons choose to buy the ticket regardless of the "fly free"option on airlines. I don't think we were being pessimistic, just relaying what we do.:mickey:

Jen C.
09-08-2008, 10:16 AM
Poohbearchris-
I hope you don't really take the answers posted as purely pessimistic attitudes. When you post a question on an open forum, this means that you want all the answers and opinions, not just the ones that may agree with you.
I think we were all honest in our answers and sharing what we do or would do.

In the case of dealing with a particular airline, the best option is to ask and deal directly with the airline, because for them it will be their individual policy and procedure and the answer will be black and white.
So on this subject, each of our opinions here won't really count, just your airlines rules.
Exception, being the few of us, that for comfort or safety reasons choose to buy the ticket regardless of the "fly free"option on airlines. I don't think we were being pessimistic, just relaying what we do.:mickey:

:exactly:

poohbearkris
09-08-2008, 10:16 AM
THere is no offense taken to peoples opinions. I just think it is sad that some people assume the worst about other people trying to cheat the system when in fact, I was just looking for information from other peoples past experiences. I know everybody has their own opionions on what they feel best for the safety of their child and I believe that is a personal decision. Thanks everybody for the info.
Kris

chick20679
09-10-2008, 10:27 AM
Does anybody know if the airlines would require that you buy a ticket for a child who will not be 2 when you leave but turns 2 mid trip and would be 2 on the return flight home. We are contemplating 2 different times next year and one is over my son's birthday. It may be a deciding factor if we don't have to purchase a ticket for him. Thanks.
Kris

The requirement is once a child turns two, you must buy a ticket. It does not matter that the child turns two in the middle of a trip.

Now, you could not buy a ticket for your son and not have a single agent at either airport ask you for proof of age, but that's a roll of the dice. You might not have any problems, or you might be forced to buy a ticket at the current going rate - if there is one available at all!

Personally, I would buy my child a seat now, and feel better knowing that we'd both be more comfortable, and the child will be SO much safer, even if it does stink to have to pay for that extra ticket.

But that is just my :twocents:.

Have a great trip! :mickey: