PDA

View Full Version : It IS a small world!

Diznee4Me
09-03-2008, 10:50 AM
So while we were at Disneyland last week "Small World" was closed but that doesn't mean it still isn't - a small world!

While walking through the caves to ride Indy last week I saw a lady walking toward me - coming off the ride - who looked familiar. I yelled her name, she looked around but - going the opposite direction - I wasn't sure if it was her.

Now I am from South Carolina and was visiting Disneyland with some friends. She works on the same gov't facility I do and was out there for a conference and decided to visit the park for the afternoon. It WAS her. I just called her from my office - she heard her name being called in the cave but thought it was someone else.

That blows my mind!:D 2000 miles and I see her in a cave!

ChipnDaleGal
09-03-2008, 12:20 PM
That is pretty cool. In all my trips to WDW and DL both I have never seen anyone that I know there, unless I was already vacationing with them. I think it would freak me out a little.

tinkwest
09-03-2008, 01:09 PM
I run in to neighbors and friends at the Resort on occasion, but we only live 90 miles away so that makes it a bit different. Still, it always comes as a surprise whenever I see someone unexpectedly enjoying the parks on the same day as I am.

jrkcr
09-04-2008, 07:39 PM
I was so sure you were wrong!! :blush:
How could someone you know from SC be in CA at the same time? What are the chances?? I guess pretty good...

Melanie
09-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Cool story! I remember running into some neighbors when I was a kid in WDW. But we weren't all the way across the US (we lived in NC). Too bad she didn't realize it was you!

Carol
09-05-2008, 07:45 AM
Very Cool ! :waycool:

I have a 'small world' story too.

About 12 years ago my husband had a client bring in vacation photos of his recent trip to WDW to share.

While looking through them, my husband came to a photo of folks lined up for the evening parade. Who did he see among the random crowd?? His mother with our youngest son sitting in her lap waiting for the parade.

Lo and behold, we were all there at the same time and never knew it. :cool:

tlivgstn
09-09-2008, 01:19 AM
While sitting, watching the kids in a play area at MGM, I took up a conversation with a lady, also waiting and watching. We determined that she had previously lived in Oklahoma and her sister still lived there but had just moved to a small town. Imagine our surprise when her nephew just enrolled in the same school and grade as my own child in a very small town of 2,000 people. I'm still not sure that lady believed me!

freeair
09-16-2008, 01:15 AM
wow..nice story..well that's also possible..

Renfairwedding
09-21-2008, 12:41 PM
We were coming from the HM right after the parade from MNSSHP when out of the crowd I hear my It's Our Plumber!!! and my name. It was one of my customers.

This drives my wife crazy as it happens to me all the time.

When we were dating we were lost in the Bronx NYC. I see a police car and pull up to ask directions. The police officer looks up and says your ---- right? My wife was sure I was a trouble maker if a Cop in NYC knew who I was. It turned out He had married a childhood friend I had met him a long time ago and did not recognize him in uniform.

After that luckily she still married me. ;)

wdwfansince75
09-21-2008, 10:47 PM
Just how small is our world? Small World Story #1.....
Early in my Navy career, I was operating out of Danang AB in Vietnam.....after a long day, while relaxing at the Marine Officers Mess, saw a familiar looking young Marine officer....He also seemed to recognize me....tried to recall which classmates went Marine, as I approached him....after a very short conversation, we decided that he was not from the Naval Academy, and I was not from St. John's...but first clue was that he was from Brooklyn....but his name was Smith (really!)....I mentioned my name, and he said, "You're Nana's nephew!".....His grandmother was my father's oldest sister, my Aunt Lizzie!....I had never met him before, but had met his father and younger brother, and he had met my father.....

To put some statistics into the discussion....Small world story # 2......sitting on a commercial flight from Atlanta to Orlando, I heard someone shout "Hey Schultzy!"......everyone with that surname gets called that often....but as I tried to recall just who this unfamiliar person was, the passanger next to me returned the greeting.....after showing him my business card, we discussed family roots, and decided that we were not related....at least through multiple generations of Schultzes....However, although we had no family in common, we had several mutual friends....so he asked, "What's the odds that two strangers on a plane would have acquaintances in common?"....I replied, "Fifty percent, but the odds that they would find out about the common friends would be one in 5000!"....and the reason I knew that....It was an odd fact of the day in the Airline magazine I was reading at the time!