PDA

View Full Version : Airfare prices

disneymom15
09-03-2008, 10:39 AM
Does anyone know how the arilines figure out fares? I've been looking at fares for our upcoming trip in Dec., there was a 7:15am flight leaving our local airport with arrival at MCO about 12:50pm for $280. For the last week that flight wasn't on the availability schedule, yesterday, it showed back up on the schedule with a price of $638. Why the huge increase? There are plenty of available seats, do you think the price will come down? I hope so, that's our ideal flight. Otherwise we're looking at MCO arrival of 11pm.

MNNHFLTX
09-03-2008, 10:57 AM
I think you might have some time to shop around a bit and see if the price for that flight goes down again, especially if the going rate is $638 right now. I typically see airfares fluctuate up to three months before the departure date, sometimes even up to to six weeks before. I don't claim to understand how the airlines adjust their prices though; there doesn't always seem to be a rhyme or reason. It could be that the seats are selling more quickly on that particular flight, thus the increase. Can you see how many seats are available right now when you do a search? On Continental's reservation site, I can view the available seats up front. If the flight looks wide-open yet, this leads me to believe that the airfare might still come down. If most of the seats are sold and I really want that flight, I figure I just better bite the bullet and buy a ticket.

Bri
09-03-2008, 11:54 AM
i don't think anyone could explain the airline industry. but for another suggestion, why don't you maybe fly in the night before, get there at 11pm, if it's possible,only get a room for that night, no park tickets or ddp if you were planning on doing that, then start your vacation the next day instead of losing your original arrival day.

SamG
09-03-2008, 04:30 PM
You don't say and I don't want to assume, but do you have a connecting flight? It's possible the connecting flight is causing the problem, not the first leg.

Also, we purchased our tickets back in Feb for $410 each. I've checked every other week or so and never saw a decrease... now, A) the flight's not available for purchase and B) the closest (in flight time) is $700+