PDA

View Full Version : DDP vs. DDE for Passholders

Dopeysgal
09-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Hi!

We are returning to WDW in october. We've never used DDP or DDE before. I'm just wondering what the experiences are with both, and which you think are worth it?

It's just the two of us. We usually make do with snacks and CS, though on our last trip, we did find ourselves at one TS per day, since we are starting to get into the dining at WDW, so I think it could be worth it.

Thanks!

KAT1811
09-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Personally given the choice between the two I would go with the DDE. I am a bit disappointed with the new dining plan (as many people are). We are not big dessert people and much prefer appetizers but only dessert is included in the DDP. With the DDE you can choose what you want to eat and then get the discount off of that. Another bonus is that you are not pressed to use all of your dining credits. If you do not feel like a TS you don't have to go. For us we always felt chainedo our ADRs because with the DDP we already paid for it and felt obligated to use it. I guess it all boils down to personal preference.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
09-03-2008, 04:30 PM
First, make certain you are aware of the rules pertaining to getting on either of these plans.

With the DDP, your dining plan I believe has to be purchased with a MYW package, and it is tied to the length of stay. If you have 3 people in your party and are staying 7 nights on property (which is required) then all 3 have to be on the 7 day plan. At least that's how the rules were. I believe now that DVC members can get on the plan as well.

With the DDE, I believe you have to be a Florida resident or an annual passholder to get the card, which is basically a 20% off your meal discount (which basically covers the 18% gratuity that is automatically tacked on). And only one of you has to purchase the card as I believe it is good for up to 10 people at a table.

The DDP can be a lot of food, and I tell friends that if you truly want to get your best value & enjoyment out of the DDP that you MUST plan ahead and make ADR's well in advance. A lot of people don't like to do that much organization. It's hard to be spontaneous on the DDP, but the rewards can also be great as we've tried restaraunts that would otherwise probably not be affordable for us.

With DDE, depending on whether you are an AP holder or Florida resident, you'd have to spend between $300-400 before you'd reach your break even point.

I think for me it comes down to how much you want to lock yourself into dining reservations. If you are fine with a TS each night, and are willing to plan out your park schedules around that, the DDP can be a great add on. I can't emphasize enough though that to get your moneys worth out of the DDP, you need to plan in advance.

I have friends that have done the DDE and like it because they always have an alcoholic beverage with their meals, and this is covered by the DDE discount but not the DDP.

So, if you are not staying on property, or you're not an AP holder/Florida resident, neither would be an option.