PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going next week and worried about Hannah?

Diznut
09-02-2008, 08:24 AM
Just wondering if anyone was traveling next week and worried about Hannah? We leave on Saturday and hope our week isn't rained out. I especially hope we'll be able to fly from NY.
Any mutual concerns?

deedeebee
09-02-2008, 08:51 AM
We leave Tues, I am watching both Hannah and Ike! Flying from MI, hoping for the best. We are attending MNSSHP on 9-12, really hoping for the rain to stay away!:fingers:

ryca1dreams
09-02-2008, 08:56 AM
Watching - not worried.

disneygeek84
09-02-2008, 09:13 AM
I'm watching Hannah, but I'm not worried about her. Ike is starting to bother me some though. We're leaving Saturday to drive down, but I don't think that Hannah is going to be a problem for us.

Daisy'sMom
09-02-2008, 09:15 AM
No matter what, you'll be at Disney. So what if it is rainy and windy for a while. It will still be fun. :mickey:

Strmchsr
09-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Check the weather thread for details, but you really don't have anything to worry about from Hannah. Ike might be a different story. The only issues Hannah might cause, especially if you're coming from the NE, would be some flight delays due to heavy rains, but even those should be fairly minor.

JIMINY13
09-02-2008, 09:59 AM
Not worried about Hannah, I think that Ike might be the problem child. I guess we have to wait until Thursday or Friday to see what path Ike will be taking.

jokat
09-02-2008, 10:49 AM
We start our trip tomorrow, 9-3, and fly back on 9-12. We've been watching and checking in on Strmchsr's updates. At this point our main concern with Hanna is the possibility of drenching rains. Haven't checked in on Ike lately, but it sounds like we may be on our way back before he comes around. We'll keep checking in though.

Nothing can stop the magic!! :cloud9:

MMouse6937
09-02-2008, 11:00 AM
I'm not worried about Hannah, but Ike is somewhat concerning. I hope that we are there and back before there's any problems. That's why I keep watching the NWS website and Chris' updates here to make sure we keep updated. Everyone's fingers are crossed!!

Bethis26fan
09-02-2008, 12:12 PM
I wasn't worried about Hanna till today. They said she's suppose to make landfall friday near Savannah - Charleston area. We are driving down friday to stop in Hardeeville which is like 30 mins from there. So I'm a little worried about driving into the wind and rain. We aren't leaving till about 4:30 in the afternoon but I don't know what time they are saying she will make landfall.

caryfer1733
09-02-2008, 01:07 PM
We are flying in from Michigan on Saturday 9-6 so I'm a bit worried that our flight will be delayed, what are your thoughts all mighty weather guru? :D we will be at disney until the 12th so I hope our trip won't be too wet. we have tickets for MNSSHP on the 9th so let's hope we all have good weather.

Strmchsr
09-02-2008, 01:27 PM
I wasn't worried about Hanna till today. They said she's suppose to make landfall friday near Savannah - Charleston area. We are driving down friday to stop in Hardeeville which is like 30 mins from there. So I'm a little worried about driving into the wind and rain. We aren't leaving till about 4:30 in the afternoon but I don't know what time they are saying she will make landfall.

That could definitely be a problem as Hannah's bands will start moving in late Thursday night and if you're having to drive along the coast the wind/rain could be very dangerous. While intensity forecasts are not very accurate, right now the prog is for Cat 2 at landfall and you DON'T want to be driving in that. Not to mention storm surge/flooding etc. If you possibly can I would recommend trying to get to Atlanta or somewhere out of the path on Thursday because driving on Friday may not be an option.

We are flying in from Michigan on Saturday 9-6 so I'm a bit worried that our flight will be delayed, what are your thoughts all mighty weather guru? :D we will be at disney until the 12th so I hope our trip won't be too wet. we have tickets for MNSSHP on the 9th so let's hope we all have good weather.

You'll be fine and your trip shouldn't be too wet. Just normal scattered thunderstorms. The only thing that could delay your flight is if you have a layover along the east coast (NYC, Charlotte, etc.) As long as that is not the case I wouldn't expect any issues.

joonyer
09-02-2008, 04:12 PM

Just keep an eye on the weather channel and the radar at the NWS website as you get toward departure time. If it looks like the bands of rain will affect your driving down the coast on Friday and Saturday, just reroute from Columbia through Augusta and go over to Macon and pick up I-75 south. That should be far enough inland to keep you out of the worst of the rain and wind.

You may want to go ahead and make a reservation if you are going to spend the night in Middle Georgia, because if Hanna does make landfall around Brunswick or Savannah, there may be a lot of evacuees heading up I-16 to Macon and surrounding towns.

Bethis26fan
09-02-2008, 04:19 PM
Just keep an eye on the weather channel and the radar at the NWS website as you get toward departure time. If it looks like the bands of rain will affect your driving down the coast on Friday and Saturday, just reroute from Columbia through Augusta and go over to Macon and pick up I-75 south. That should be far enough inland to keep you out of the worst of the rain and wind.

You may want to go ahead and make a reservation if you are going to spend the night in Middle Georgia, because if Hanna does make landfall around Brunswick or Savannah, there may be a lot of evacuees heading up I-16 to Macon and surrounding towns.

Thanks everyone we have made some changes. We are now going to leave work at 12 and go towards Greenville SC to Liberty to pick up our nephew then go by way of Atlanta. So we will be leaving from Liberty around 2:30 I have no clue where we will stop now. I've never drove that way. The way yahoo maps is sending us is
I 85 to I 285 to I 675 to I 75 then to florida turnpike to I 4

Strmchsr
09-02-2008, 04:53 PM
The way yahoo maps is sending us is I 85 to I 285 to I 675 to I 75 then to florida turnpike to I 4

Glad you're making it out early. Yeah, those directions are right. 285 will keep you from going through downtown Atlanta and even though you could stay on 285 all the way to 75 S, taking 675 will cut some more time off for you.

luvDaMouse
09-02-2008, 05:54 PM
I am getting alittle worried, we are flying on Friday morning from philly at 9:10 (southwest airlines) I called the airlines this am and they said that if they get notification about a definite landfall and it interupts our flight path they will allow us to change our flights and honor our original price ( I got a great deal for our roundtrip airfare) I was thinking about getting on a late flight on Thursday If they do allow us to change the flight. I was wondering whether it would be wise to go before (on thurs) or take my chances on Friday morning? Its hard to tell looking at the path and I may be worrying to soon?? :confused::paranoid:

Simba'sBud
09-02-2008, 08:31 PM
This storm path has definitely put a twist in our travel plans for Sat. We live in western SC and normally take I-26E to I-95S down the coastline. According to the projected path and time lapse of Hanna, we would be traveling directly into the brunt of the storm.

We do have the advantage of an alternate route, though, that will only make a difference of about 45 min. for our nine hour drive. If we cut through Atlanta, GA and head south on I-75, we should be able to avoid just about the entire system and it would keep us from having to delay our departure from home. We've never been this way before, so it should be an adventure in and of itself. We will probably take this route regardless and figure that we will make up the extra time by not having to slow down or even detour due to the storm.

Anyway, keep us and everyone else out there in your prayers for a safe trip.

Bethis26fan
09-02-2008, 08:41 PM
This storm path has definitely put a twist in our travel plans for Sat. We live in western SC and normally take I-26E to I-95S down the coastline. According to the projected path and time lapse of Hanna, we would be traveling directly into the brunt of the storm.

We do have the advantage of an alternate route, though, that will only make a difference of about 45 min. for our nine hour drive. If we cut through Atlanta, GA and head south on I-75, we should be able to avoid just about the entire system and it would keep us from having to delay our departure from home. We've never been this way before, so it should be an adventure in and of itself. We will probably take this route regardless and figure that we will make up the extra time by not having to slow down or even detour due to the storm.

Anyway, keep us and everyone else out there in your prayers for a safe trip.

We will be a day ahead of you. We are leaving Friday.

Simba'sBud
09-02-2008, 09:05 PM
We will be a day ahead of you. We are leaving Friday.

Yeah, I see that the I-75 route is new to you as well. With you leaving on Fri., you should have a great head start and probably not hit any inclement weather from Hanna, just typical Sept. weather.

We will be praying for you guys on Friday to have a safe and happy trip!

BTW, we will be at the MNSSHP on the 9th, so if you're going to be there, maybe we can meet up. It's just DW and I. You can PM me if you like.

Hopefully see you there!

mjaclyn
09-02-2008, 10:14 PM
I'm somewhat worried as well. We're flying out of NY on Friday morning and I hope hope hope we won't be cancelled or delayed!!

joonyer
09-03-2008, 01:49 AM
Thanks everyone we have made some changes. . . . I've never drove that way. The way yahoo maps is sending us is
I 85 to I 285 to I 675 to I 75 then to florida turnpike to I 4

That's cruise control all the way, although there is some roadwork on I-75 south of Perry. Just don't try to go too fast, there's lots of speed enforcement on I-75 in south Georgia. Keep a lookout for lowered speed limits in construction areas and don't exceed the limit by more than 5-10 mph.

Also, you don't need to go all the way to I-4.
We now take exit 267A off the turnpike onto Hwy. 429 (Daniel Webster Expressway), which is a brand new highway. Take it south to Western Way (exit 8), which takes you into WDW right by Coronado Springs Resort. It's a small toll, but is 4-lane expressway (with little traffic) and will knock off about 15 minutes from going all the way through Orlando on I-4.

Bethis26fan
09-03-2008, 07:33 AM
That's cruise control all the way, although there is some roadwork on I-75 south of Perry. Just don't try to go too fast, there's lots of speed enforcement on I-75 in south Georgia. Keep a lookout for lowered speed limits in construction areas and don't exceed the limit by more than 5-10 mph.

Also, you don't need to go all the way to I-4.
We now take exit 267A off the turnpike onto Hwy. 429 (Daniel Webster Expressway), which is a brand new highway. Take it south to Western Way (exit 8), which takes you into WDW right by Coronado Springs Resort. It's a small toll, but is 4-lane expressway (with little traffic) and will knock off about 15 minutes from going all the way through Orlando on I-4.