PDA

View Full Version : Crowd levels second week of January??

jaredkari
09-01-2008, 10:06 PM
My wife and I are looking to do a trip in early January (Jan 4-7). Just wondering what crowd levels are like at this time. I know it is going to be higher than normal with it being near new years. We were there last year the middle of January and it was crowded but manageable. Just wanted to get your thoughts. Thanks :mickey:

CaptSmee
09-01-2008, 11:52 PM
My wife and I are looking to do a trip in early January (Jan 4-7). Just wondering what crowd levels are like at this time. I know it is going to be higher than normal with it being near new years. We were there last year the middle of January and it was crowded but manageable. Just wanted to get your thoughts. Thanks :mickey:

Jan is some of the lowest crowds at WDW. I'm sure you'll have a good time. I've never been for New Years, but i've heard from friends in the know that right after the 1st, it clears right out.

ThanxForNoticin
09-02-2008, 12:06 PM
Theoretically, your trip should be very good timing. The crowds should be down since you'll be after the New Year's crowds and before the weekend of the Disney Marathon. I expect you'll find crowds to be very low. Have a great trip.

Imagineer1981
09-02-2008, 12:34 PM
5-10 minutes for Peter Pan, need I say more

wilshade
09-02-2008, 05:36 PM
Hmmmm . . . . January in Florida is beginning to sound nice.

SAnderson70769
09-02-2008, 05:48 PM
We have been right after New Year's a couple of years ago and we found the crowds to be some of the lowest we had ever seen at WDW! I think you'll have a great time - kids getting back in school - before the marathon the 8th-11th!

Hallomagic
09-02-2008, 09:11 PM
We are going the 15th to the 20th of January.. Hope this will be an okay time also... It is after the marathon but a holiday weekend...

I have always gone in Sept, Oct or Nov... But we wanted to go the month of my daughters birthday to celebrate...

I heard that January "usually" has the lightest crowds after New Years and before Feb school vacation.... But a little colder...
:fingers:

DigitalDaredevil
09-06-2008, 02:17 AM
That is one of the best times to go. I try to go there anytime after the first week of January up to mid-February. You can't beat it. You may find a few refurbs being done, but the amount of time you save waiting in line and multiple rides are well worth it. The weather isn't too bad either, and if you are from up North, you still think it is warm enough to go swimming at the resorts.

A Big Kid
09-06-2008, 08:56 AM
That is one of the best times to go. I try to go there anytime after the first week of January up to mid-February. You can't beat it. You may find a few refurbs being done, but the amount of time you save waiting in line and multiple rides are well worth it. The weather isn't too bad either, and if you are from up North, you still think it is warm enough to go swimming at the resorts.

I was going to add that and,....
.... remember, the park hours are shorter. Shorter hours should not be that much of a problem because the lines are shorter as well, so "ride time" should be equivilant.

But, the shorter park hours, for us, means that the hopper option is a must. We ususally end our evenings in and around the World Showcase because everything else closes early.

RobWreck
09-06-2008, 03:36 PM
Well, I can guarentee that there's going to be at least 3 people down there at that time...
Don't worry, we don't make much of a line ;)
Rob

Donald Duck Rules
09-07-2008, 11:09 AM
Been there in Jan...good weather, one of the dryest months and lines during the week will be very short with a bit longer on weekends

TinkerbellT421
09-07-2008, 11:24 AM
DBF and I will be arriving on the 6th :thumbsup:.
We only go to the world in the second - third week of january. The crowds are significantly less than alot of other times in January. We avoid parks on any weekends though if we can. From knowing a couple of locals who also worked at the parks, that was there advise. A lot of locals visit parks on the weekends. We went on a sunday, to MK to see the lights on the castle, it was HORRIBLE how many people were there, we went the next day back to MK and we couldnt BELIEVE how the crowds died down the next day and for the rest of the week at all the parks. So I say avoid parks on weekends if you can, but thats my opinion. And bring a sweatshirt (or do like me and 'forget' it at the resort and at night when it cools down SIGNIFICANTLY I say 'baby, can we get a sweatshirt Im colddddd') works everytime! lol
Have fun and maybe we will run into you!! Have a magical time in the world!! Twenty more days and I will be posting a thread about being in double digits!! woooooo :cloud9::mickey::number1::party:

TheMartellFamily
09-07-2008, 12:26 PM
What are the tempuratures like during that time in WDW?

benny
09-08-2008, 01:14 AM
We will be there Jan 4-14. It sounds like we will have a mixed bag as far as crowd levels go? Maybe best plan will be to get as much done in the beginning of our stay and then relax and take it from there (depending on crowds).

Maybe we will see you around the parks? We are staying at Pop. Have a magical trip!:mickey:

megustamex
09-08-2008, 06:03 PM
We've gone in January for a few years now. It is our favorite time to go because it is cool enough to stay out all day and the lines are usually non-existent. EXCEPT last year. I don't know what happened. We went on January 22-23 and it was absolutely jammed. We couldn't figure it out. There were a lot of people walking around in yarmulkes so I'm not sure if we hit a Jewish holiday? We have been trying to figure it out since then because we have never had such crowds in January. Usually you can literally walk on any ride you want and the temperatures are in the high 60's/low 70's. You might get a few days when you can wear shorts in the afternoon, but we usually wore jeans and t-shirts with jackets at night. We have only had a few rainy days in January; usually it's nice and sunny.

TinkerbellT421
09-09-2008, 10:06 AM
Early on in January its not too bad, we actually have hit a couple of 80 degree days while we were there. But at night is when it cools of drastically. But we are from NE so anything above 50 is warm to us. We were in line one day for a bus with some locals and they were bundles up in leather jackets and saying how cold it was (the wife was literally quivering) and me and DBF are standing there in muscle shirts and shorts (it was like 70) and they were asking us how we could stand it....lol...I explained how it was 3 degrees when we left NE the day before lol :ill:...But at night it does get cool, and if its windy is the worst feels colder...but Im always cold lol...

Meteora
09-09-2008, 10:41 AM
There were a lot of people walking around in yarmulkes so I'm not sure if we hit a Jewish holiday?

Most people religious enough to ear yarmulkes would not be able to go to a theme park on a Jewish holiday. Maybe you ran into a gathering or convention of some sort, though.

We're going from the 9th to the 16th. I'm guessing that most people would advise us to skip the weekend (marathon weekend) and get our park days in during the week? I hope it's not too crowded, but as we usually go Christmas week, most crowds will seem light by comparison.