PDA

View Full Version : Stroller bags??

Minnie's Northern Friend
09-01-2008, 07:41 AM
Good Day everyone!!

We are bringing 2 strollers and will check them at the gate... Would you recommend putting them into stroller bags to keep them clean?? Is it an inconvenience at the gate??

PM me if you have any to sell... I can't see ever needing to use them again after this...

Thanks!!

Madame Leona
09-01-2008, 08:24 AM
We are also bringing two strollers and we are going to try stroller bags this trip. I like the ones we bought because they have a large strap on them so you can carry the stroller like a bag. Which means, my husband can easily carry them both :).

1EeyoreFan
09-01-2008, 09:19 AM
We have a Chicco stroller that came with a travel bag. We took this on the train and had it checked (like at the airport). When we picked up our luggage, the stroller bag was ripped on one side and the stroller had gotten dirty. I don't know if airlines are more gentle or not but if we did not have the bag I can only imagine how bad off our stroller would be!

On the flip side, I bought a bag for the carseat at Biglots for $4!!! It was a much sturdier material and did not get damaged in the least.

I highly recommend the bags now! We are driving down in a few days so the bag isn't needed this time. Have a great trip!!!:mickey:

g8rgirl29
09-01-2008, 12:26 PM
If you have folding lawn chairs with bags, the bags may work for carrying your umbrella strollers and it won't cost you anything. If you have a double chair you could probably fit 2 umbrella strollers into the bag for that. We didn't use a stroller bag last year and on the flight home(thankfully) the clip to hold the stroller closed was broken off.

LisaP
09-02-2008, 12:02 AM
I would say definitely get a stroller bag. You can get them fairly inexpensive online through Walmart. Just seach for stroller bag. I was so glad I had one for my new Chicco stroller. The bag came back after the flight filthy.

Not inconvenient at all at boarding. Just collapse them right before you see them get ready for boarding, and carry the bag to the gate and they'll take it from there. They usually let folks on with small children first anyway :D

KAT1811
09-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Would you recommend putting them into stroller bags to keep them clean?? Is it an inconvenience at the gate??

Personally we do not use stroller bags at the gate. It gets a bit hectic boarding (especially with multiple children, we have 3 and I am expecting our 4th) so for us I just fold up our double stroller as quickly as possible and hop onboard. I cannot imagine fighting with a bag at the gate while tons of people are plowing past me trying to board. We have a Combi side-by-side double stroller (light grey and pink so it does get dirty fairly easily) and have never had any problem.

Lizzie
09-02-2008, 01:07 PM
We have flown three times with our double jogger and have never used a bag. And we have never had any issues with our stroller. I can't imagine trying to get it folded and put in a bag.

peemagg
09-02-2008, 06:41 PM
We used them for our strollers in Jan. (3 strollers). Ours were the Combi brand. One of the bags did get ripped in flight on the way down, but no harm to the strollers.

The bags that we had were big enough to put all three into, but we placed 2 in one and one in the other.

Before we boarded, we folded up the strollers and placed them in the bags. It wasn't so bad that way and when we got to the plane we just dropped it off at the door and boarded.

This worked very well if there is more than one adult. We had 3 babies and 4 adults. We also had 3 car seats and our carry-ons.

One quick note. DO NOT RELY ON BEING ABLE TO BOARD EARLY. We asked on both the way down and back, and was refused. In fact on the way back we were told "This is Orlando, everyone has kids." Yes, most do have kids, but most don't have 3 babies. Our kids were ages 13 months, 13 months, and 2.5 years old.

Minnie's Northern Friend
01-03-2009, 11:23 AM
In lieu of stroller bags we were thinking about using heavy duty trashbags- any thoughts??

dfamasb
01-03-2009, 01:06 PM
Check your local thrift stores for umbrella strollers. We are planning on taking 3 and leaving them there instead of lugging them back home. We found 3 at our thrift store and only paid about $20 (for all 3)!!! 2 of our strollers are going in our checked luggage but we will keep one and check it at the gate. I'm going to see if it will fit in our folding lawn chair bag. I'm just worried that it will get filthy without a bag??

Minnie's Northern Friend
01-03-2009, 02:51 PM
We have already purchased two new strollers for a deal--- So we will be taking them--- they have big baskets underneath and are just excellent for the kids...

Does anyone know if we can take them wrapped in trash bags on the plane??

teambricker04
01-03-2009, 04:10 PM
We have already purchased two new strollers for a deal--- So we will be taking them--- they have big baskets underneath and are just excellent for the kids...

Does anyone know if we can take them wrapped in trash bags on the plane??

You would have to put it in a trash bag right at the gate, in the jet way. The only problem with doing this is that a ground crew person may not know what said item is and then throw it on to the carosel instead of on the jetway. The stroller gets a tag from the gate agent, you need to be able to see it so the ground crew knows what it is.

I have never used a stroller bag for any flight and our strollers have always been fine, never damaged or dirty.

Tink276
01-03-2009, 06:06 PM
When we travelled in '06, my children were 1-1/2 & 4. We brought our stroller, but it became more of hinderance than a help! When you are toting tired/sleeping kids, diaper bag, camera bag, & a stroller to get on the buses or the monerail, it wasn't any fun!! By the middle of the 2nd day, we left our stroller at the front of the park & rented a double stroller for the rest of the week! So worth the money! You can pick it up as soon as you enter the parks & leave it at the gate when you exit!! We left the stroller in the room & didn't use it again! My kids are now 4 & 7 and we are still going to rent a double stroller when we go back in Feb. Take my advice, if your main reason for bringing the strollers is for the parks, I would rent one for sure! We learned our lesson!!:thumbsup:

Feb. '09 L & S Polynesian/Wonder
Apr '06 Grand Floridian
June '99 Offsite
May '93 Disneyland
Nov. '91 Offsite

g8rgirl29
01-03-2009, 06:30 PM
I found having a stroller of your own to be a tremendous help. Especially at the end of the day when you have a tired pre-schooler or toddler and you have to walk (or carry them) from the park to the bus stop and then again from the bus stop to your room. We just attached a shoulder strap to our stroller using carbiners so that we could just fold it up and swing it over our shoulder to get on and off the bus. I am dreading when our DD wont use it!! As for the question about the garbage bags, I can't see where it would hurt. We bring the big 39 gallon clear ones to place over our stroller when we are in the park and it looks like rain. With the clear ones the strollers will be visible and the tag clearly seen. Have a great time!!

teambricker04
01-03-2009, 07:43 PM
As for the question about the garbage bags, I can't see where it would hurt. We bring the big 39 gallon clear ones to place over our stroller when we are in the park and it looks like rain. With the clear ones the strollers will be visible and the tag clearly seen. Have a great time!! Duh! I wasn't even thinking of clear garbage :blush:

thumperbug
01-04-2009, 06:23 PM
we traveled 6 trips (12 flights) with no problems or damage to our stroller that we left at the end of the gangway upon boarding our plane. My son outgrew his wonderful travel stroller but we got a new one made for kids up to 55 lbs (he is only 44 lbs now). I did get a stroller bag...it was really cheap and bright orange and has spot to write name on it. I figured..why not.

For previous poster about trash bags...yes...got for a clear one. The worst that has ever happened to our stroller is that it gets cold and a little condensation from whatever compartment they stash them in. I wouldnt obsess about a bag.

Belster
01-04-2009, 08:11 PM
I would never have thought to bring a bag for my stroller if is wasnt for a poster way back in the summer that suggested one. I was not able to find one large enough for my double stroller, but I took durable contractor bags with me(cn be purchased at a construction store). I did not use them on the way there and was sorry, the handle to my stroller was ripped. On the way home I put two of the bags around my stroller and was surprised to see it worked.

One thing that a poster shared with me was to make sure to remove cup holders and other items from the stroller.

The item I did buy for my stroller that I was very happy with was my stroller poncho.

Hope this helps.

SamG
01-05-2009, 01:03 PM
We just got back Saturday & here's what we did...

Since we were renting a car, we needed to bring a car seat (yes, we could rent one, but save $$ where we can). We had a car seat bag (w/wheels) from a previous trip. The car seat (one with a 5-point harness, not an "overhead" arm) easily fit in the bag along with the booster seat for our son.

Got to the airport, put the little one (DD 2) in the stroller... put the car seat & booster in the bag. Checked some bags, took the rest (including car seat bag) through security. Pushed DD in stroller through airport to gate. At gate, PRIOR TO BOARDING STARTING, collapsed stroller, took car seat out of bag, put stroller in bag (w/booster seat). Got gate check tag and put on handle of bag. Carried car seat onto plane, left car seat bag at end of jetway.

At arrival airport, carried car seat off plane, picked up car seat bag at jetway, walked off jetway and into concourse. Stepped out of the way and took stroller out of bag, put car seat in. DD climbed into stoller and pushed her to next gate. Rinse & repeat.

This process worked very well. It took about a minute to swap between stroller/car seat.

mudpuppysmom
01-05-2009, 03:16 PM
We just got back a couple weeks ago. We had four kids and two strollers (two of the kids were too big for strollers, so they were enlisted to help push the strollers/herd the kids). We just collapsed the strollers right at the gate and left them there without a bag.....they had some condensation on them when we got them back (flew RT PIT/MCO and it was cold on both PIT ends, warm both MCO ends). There was no damage to either stroller. I will say though that I HAD to check my carseat for my 6 mo. old! HAD to check it I was told until I got to the gate where they told me I could have carried it thru. I had bought a bag for the carseat though, so it was protected. SWA did a great job of not putting any dents.holes, dirt on any of our items --nothing at all (unless you count the condensation). I was going to buy a stroller bag, but luckily this time we made it thru without any problem -- not all airlines are gentle though!

I will say it was a bit hectic on the way back -- I felt like the Griswolds go flying....I apologized when I got in line to board (we flew SW, so you line up now) -- the lady behind me just sort of laughed when she saw my sister and I with four kids in tow.....I said "I'm just going to apologize right now for whatever may or will happen....we have kids with us and I can't predict how we are all going to walk down the jetway and get on the plane, so again I aplogize up front".....everyone thought it was a nice gesture to apologize but they also said not to worry they had kids before and know the deal. THANK YOU to the people flying to PIT that night!!

If you feel that you will need to protect your strollers then get a bag for them, if you think the airline will do a good job and handle them gently, then you don't have to -- it's all personal preference. Even if you do have a bag, there is no guarantee it won't get ripped, or torn or god forbid destroyed and damage done to your stroller.....it all depends on the handling and also the flight (if it is really bumpy or smooth).

Disney Doll
01-07-2009, 01:51 PM
We do use a stroller bag and I can tell you after only one trip to WDW it is filthy. I am glad to have the dirty bag than the dirt and scuffs that might have been on my stroller. I also like it because when in a bag everything stays together. I have an extra sun shade attached to my stroller and a rain guard that I keep in the stroller pocket. I don't have to remove these items for fear that they might get separated and lost when the whole stroller is bagged. I just fold it up and slip it in as is. Any toys or accessories that might be attached go along. It is very easy to get in the bag and my bag has a nice big carrying strap. We always have plenty of time to get the stroller bagged because we do the special boarding for families with small children. We usually go to WDW once a year so I figure we'll get at least a few years worth of use from our bag. When you look at it that way it was a small price to pay.