PDA

View Full Version : Quickest way to get around from Contemporary Garden wing?

masondoggy
08-31-2008, 03:54 PM
We're thinking about upgrading to the Contemporary resort when we go to Disney in February due to having small kids with us.

What's the quickest and easiest way to get to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot from the garden wing? How long does it take to walk to MK? How long does the boat launch take? How far of a walk is it from the wing to catch the monorail? Is the main tower building attached to the garden wing or is it seperate?

I just want to make sure it'll be worth the $$ to upgrade to this resort. We're looking for convenience so we can easily bring the little ones back to the resort for a mid-day break.

Thanks!

brianlw71
08-31-2008, 06:29 PM
the walk to MK is only 10-15 minutes. Very nice leisurely stroll. It only takes a few minutes to get from the wing into the lobby and up the the monorail station for either ticket station to epcot or MK.

TammiMcMan
08-31-2008, 07:11 PM
What's the quickest and easiest way to get to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot from the garden wing?For the MK, just follow the pathway by the main building to the MK. For Epcot, go up to the monorail platform, get off at the TTC and transfer to the Epcot monorail.

Is the main tower building attached to the garden wing or is it seperate?There's a covered walkway from the main building to the garden wing.

We're looking for convenience so we can easily bring the little ones back to the resort for a mid-day break.You are not going to find a more convenient resort to the MK. If location is important, then I think it will be money well spent.

phillydan
09-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Although the walk to MK is advertised as a 10-15 min stroll, I found it to be quite longer with the kids tagging along. The best bet with the kids is to take the monorail.

masondoggy
09-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Although the walk to MK is advertised as a 10-15 min stroll, I found it to be quite longer with the kids tagging along. The best bet with the kids is to take the monorail.

I would have to agree. After taking the kids to Cedar Point last week, 15 minutes is a LONG walk for a 6 year old, lol....

Jen C.
09-04-2008, 11:47 AM
I really think it will be worth the money with your little ones. however, if there is any option to upgrade to the tower, that is truly most convenient. An elevator ride, and you're on the monorail. We really enjoyed that.

wdwfansince75
09-04-2008, 02:47 PM
We have stayed both in the South Wing, and in the late North Wing. We have walked with and without strollers, with kids and grandkids of all ages. The walk is easy, even for the younger kids, but the monorail is such a great way to approach the park, that we use it more often than not. From the South Wing, it is a short walk, (covered), to the dockside entrance to the Contemporary...this brings you in at the lobby level....on the first floor. This entrance used to be right in front of the Food and Fun Center, the late and greatly missed fast food and game center. The Wave Resturant is now at that level. The monorail is accessable by escalator from the concourse, which is the fourth floor...You get to the fourth floor either by elevator, or by two escalators, the first to the second floor, and then, a longer one to the fourth floor...not sure what is on the third floor, nor how you get there....By the way, there is an outside stairway to the second floor....once upon a time, that was the way to get from the South Wing to the Contemporary.....

For the MK. you just board the monorail, and stay on it past the TTC, the Poly, the GF, and then, to the MK station...for EPCOT, you change to the EPCOT monorail at the TTC.

The boats from the Contemporary Dock go to Fort Wilderness, and to Wilderness Lodge....you can get on the boats to the MK, but it is the long way....we have done it several times, to catch the Electrical Water Parade, or to watch the fireworks from the water.
By the way, to get to the buses to AK, DHS, DTD, or the Water Parks, you go through the lobby, and turn right....a short distance away are the covered bus stops.

2PrincessDad
09-09-2008, 12:16 PM
We have stayed at the Contemporary for our last two trips and loved the walkway from the MK. It was a great relief to walk out of the park after the fireworks and go right past the long lines for the monorail and buses and walk back to our hotel.

I've never timed it, but 10-15 minutes seems about right. Our girls are both under 10 and on the last visit and they made it through the walk with no problems each time. We used it as a time to ask them about their favortie things they did that day and distracted them from the walk with Disney talk. They were completely worn out upon returning to the room and would go right to sleep. My wife and I love being able to take that walk with the kids.