PDA

View Full Version : Henniker NH

terri110874
08-31-2008, 09:05 AM
I am looking for help again. Has anyone been to Henniker NH? We are going Nascar weekend in Sept.:number1:

1st help the hotel/motel:confused:
I booked a room at Henniker Motel? and I booked one at Crowne Plaza Nasua NH. The Henniker is closer to Louden. Has anyone A stayed at either one?
Here is how I am looking at it Pro: is $19cheaper a night, close to Louden, has fridge, micro, grill outside, 2 queen beds, at a base of a mountian, lots of land to wander on, family room at main biulding with a big screen tv and pool. They very nice guy that I spoke with said that they do alot of stuff for the guest on racing weekend, like have bbq after race, and yard games. He stated that most guest have been coming to him for years on race weekends...not sure if that is bad or good. Cons: never been there. Tripadvisor has one 1 of 4 reviews that are bad but review was due to having a smoking room ( we have a NS)
Crowne Plaze Pros:I have been to before and it a well know hotel chain. Cons: bit more money, no mirco, no fridge and an hour away from Louden
I know both will be busy for Nascar Weekend so I will expect both to be noisy and going to be crazy.

2nd help Things to do:confused:
On this trip it will be my son, 8yrs old, boyfriend 40yrs old and myself 33 yrs old. I am looking at the See Science Center in Manchester, only because it has a lego display my son is begging to see. Trying to get some ideas for Sat and Fri (night)

And 3rd Ideas on good places to eat?
Any unusaul or kooky place to eat? I an tired of the same boring place like applebee, olive garden, you know the fast food chains stuff.

Thanks in advance

Mad About Mickey
08-31-2008, 12:25 PM
I am looking for help again. Has anyone been to Henniker NH? We are going Nascar weekend in Sept.:number1:

1st help the hotel/motel:confused:
I booked a room at Henniker Motel? and I booked one at Crowne Plaza Nasua NH. The Henniker is closer to Louden. Has anyone A stayed at either one?
Here is how I am looking at it Pro: is $19cheaper a night, close to Louden, has fridge, micro, grill outside, 2 queen beds, at a base of a mountian, lots of land to wander on, family room at main biulding with a big screen tv and pool. They very nice guy that I spoke with said that they do alot of stuff for the guest on racing weekend, like have bbq after race, and yard games. He stated that most guest have been coming to him for years on race weekends...not sure if that is bad or good. Cons: never been there. Tripadvisor has one 1 of 4 reviews that are bad but review was due to having a smoking room ( we have a NS)
Crowne Plaze Pros:I have been to before and it a well know hotel chain. Cons: bit more money, no mirco, no fridge and an hour away from Louden
I know both will be busy for Nascar Weekend so I will expect both to be noisy and going to be crazy.

2nd help Things to do:confused:
On this trip it will be my son, 8yrs old, boyfriend 40yrs old and myself 33 yrs old. I am looking at the See Science Center in Manchester, only because it has a lego display my son is begging to see. Trying to get some ideas for Sat and Fri (night)

And 3rd Ideas on good places to eat?
Any unusaul or kooky place to eat? I an tired of the same boring place like applebee, olive garden, you know the fast food chains stuff.

Thanks in advance

1st Hotel, I can't help you much with the Henniker Motel, but the Crowne Plaza is nice. Have you considered staying closer to Loudon? The hotels up there may already booked but staying closer helps you beat the heavy race day traffic going up both I 93 and Rt 106. They just opened a Hampton Inn in Tilton which is just off Exit 20 you might want to check it out.

2nd Things to Do, This depends on the time you have, are you going to just the Sunday race or going to Saturday's race as well? The SEE Museum is allright, nothing like the Boston or Portsmouth Children Museums, but the Lego display of the old Millyard is very impressive, I believe it is the largest permanent Lego display in the world, afterwards you can go to either Cremeland or Goldenrods for ice cream :yay:. The SEE closes early, 4 pm on Fri and 5 pm on Sat. I will push you up to the lakes region for some ideas, Weirs Beach has Funspot, 100's of arcade games as well as mini golf and both 10 pin & candlestick bowling, their web site has a coupon for free tokens. Weirs also has a four screen drive in. you can also cruise Winnepisaukee on the M/S Mt. Washington. If you are not going to the Saturday race then a trip up I 93 to Franconia Notch state park is a great day trip. You can check out the flume and the basin and see where the Old Man of the Mountain used to be :crying:. If you head up that way Clark's Trading Post is perfect for your DS, they have a bear show and a steam train ride that gets chased by the wolfman, a crazed woodsman who chases the train hooting and shooting his gun to try and run you off his claim.

3rd food, If you are staying in Henniker then you have to go to The Foothills in Warner for breakfast, The best in NH. They have giant fresh fruit filled pancakes called platter cakes and they are out of this world :eat: as well as the largest cinnamon rolls I have ever seen, make a fist, look at it, I swear their cinnamon rolls are twice as big and a heck of a lot more tastier. They also have great new specials every weekend. Thay are located on Rt 103 between exits 8 & 9 off I 89. Another great restaurant in that area is the Tooky Mills Pub in Hillsbourogh on RT 9/ 202, really great food. If you stay in Nashua then you may want to check out Bugaboo Creek, yes they are a chain but the food is good and your DS will like the animtronic animals. There is one in Nashua and another in Bedford. If you find yourself up in Tilton then I would recomend The Tilt'n Diner, 50's themed with great comfort food, Prime Time Cafe without the overbearing waitresses, as a bonus Tilton has a large outlet mall which you might enjoy. If you do make up to Franconia Notch then I suggest checking out Pig's Ear in Lincoln. It is a small, little known BBQ joint hidden in a small mall that has some of the best BBQ in New England :thumbsup:.

I hope you three have a great time at the race (remember to bring ear plugs, the cahs are wicked loud), and enjoy the rest of your time in NH. If you have any other questions just post them and I'll be happy to try and answer them :mickey:.

terri110874
09-01-2008, 08:38 AM
:eat:Hmmmmmm Cinnamon rolls I am sold that is on my todo list now. Have to check out the others to see if any have a website.
The hotel in Tilton only has kings left but I will keep checking.

Are there any drivin in this area? That just dawned on me we have not been to one in a while

Mad About Mickey
09-01-2008, 04:16 PM
There are two other drive ins in the area that I know of. We often go to the Milford Drive In, its about 30 minutes west of Manchester on Route 101 in Milford, coming from Boston its quicker to take Rt 3 to 101A west in Nashua. It's double features at $20 a car, check out their web site. The other one I know of is in Northfield, MA which is on the border where NH & VT meet.