PDA

View Full Version : Gonna sound dumb but...What the heck is dole whip???

MuchLovedMama
08-29-2008, 04:49 PM
O.K. I've read "dole whip" about a million times on here but never really heard what it is. I'm picturing pineapple &/or pudding. Something like that. I don't like neither so if it's something like that I'm sure I won't like it but the curiosity is kiling me. What is it?

Insanity Clause
08-29-2008, 05:15 PM
I have NEVER had one but I have to since being on this board. Is it crazy that I am looking forward to this as part of our trip in April? From my understanding it is a frozed pineapple treat. I am sure there are people here that can give you much more information but I simply have to have one...or two.

MuchLovedMama
08-29-2008, 05:34 PM
LOL! I see people mention it over & over & over so it must be good. I'm just not a pineapple person but I'll be with 7 other family members so I'll have to let them know how everybody here raves about it. Maybe somebody will get one. I guess that would bring me to...Where do you get them?

cer
08-29-2008, 05:44 PM
I had my first dole whip the last time we were at Disney. You can get them at Aloha Isle in Adventure Land in Magic Kingdom. Look for the long line.... The are a delicious pinapple yumminess. Kind of like a soft serve pineapple sherbert. (I am sure I am not doing it justice by my description) - They are very good and you can even get a Dole Whip Float. Which is the Dole Whip floating on what else? pineapple juice. Gotta try one at least once! I think you can also get them at the Poly. Enjoy!

Marilyn Michetti
08-29-2008, 05:54 PM
No dumb questions here, (and believe me I'd know).

The dole whips are extremely popular, but I don't really like them. I guess I'm in the minority.:(

big blue and hairy
08-29-2008, 06:00 PM
:sick: But for only one reason. There isn't anything you can do to make pineapple taste good to me.

:sulley:

Zippy 1
08-29-2008, 06:13 PM
:cloud9:It is only the most heavenly treat you can get in MK. I had my first one last November. Over the course of our 8 day trip I had one at least once a day. But if you do not like pineapple you will not enjoy these yummy treats.

MuchLovedMama
08-29-2008, 06:32 PM
There isn't anything you can do to make pineapple taste good to me.

:sulley:

I totall agree...LOL!

wendy*darling
08-29-2008, 08:11 PM
A Dole Whip is pineapple soft serve ice cream. You can also get a Pineapple float, which is the Dole Whip ice cream and pineapple juice.
But, you really have to like pineapple to enjoy these! :papple:

Now, you might prefer a Citrus Swirl- also in the MK, but they're at the Sunshine Tree Terrace (also in Adventureland). It is orange and vanilla soft serve swirl.

I love 'em both! :tasty:

LudwigVonDrake
08-29-2008, 10:03 PM
A Dole Whip is a MUST HAVE on every trip :tasty:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-29-2008, 11:51 PM
You can get the pineapple, vanilla or chocolate soft serve ice cream. I prefer the pineapple/vanilla swirl. And I used to think the the idea of a float was too much pineapple but then I tried it with the pineapple/vanilla swirl in it and it was fantastic!
The Aloha Isle is right over by the Swiss Family Tree House and Alladin's Magic Carpets. I had walked by this place a million times and never stopped until I read about the Dole Whips here. I like pineapple so I thought I'd give it a try and now it's become a must have every trip, not only for me but for my sisters and nephews as well.

ParkMan
08-30-2008, 12:43 AM
We went to Hawaii several years ago and had them several times at various places.

I remember when we went for our first trip to the MK since then and stumbled upon them - we were amazed that you could get them there.

Since then, I've only ever heard of them being served one other place on US east coast.

It's a unique treat that you probably won't ever find again outside of Hawaii or the MK.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
08-30-2008, 01:18 AM
Actually, official Dole Whips are only sold in 4 places in the world. Adventureland at WDW, the Polynesian, Disneyland California, and Hawai'i.

I asked for a Dole Whip the other day and the lady asked me what flavor. I said, there is only one flavor of Dole Whip - pineapple. And she responded with "All of our ice cream is Dole Whip." I wasn't going to argue that the other ice creams are just generic mixes from a blue or brown box, depending on flavor and is not licensed by Dole.

pink
08-30-2008, 11:34 AM
The dole whips are extremely popular, but I don't really like them. I guess I'm in the minority.

I agree, I tried it one time and didn't think it was anything special. :mickey:

playdead88
08-30-2008, 12:58 PM
its a little bit of heaven in a cardboard cup! there is chocolate and pineapple soft serve to choose from and its at aloha isle in adventureland :cloud9:

7swans
08-31-2008, 10:26 AM
My mouth is watering just thinking about Dole Whips floats! They are so refreshing on a hot day. Best possible use of a snack credit!
The stand is located near the Jungle Cruise entrance. The service can be a bit slow sometimes.

Fryguy
08-31-2008, 10:38 AM
We went to Hawaii several years ago and had them several times at various places.

I remember when we went for our first trip to the MK since then and stumbled upon them - we were amazed that you could get them there.

Since then, I've only ever heard of them being served one other place on US east coast.

It's a unique treat that you probably won't ever find again outside of Hawaii or the MK.

Agreed! In truth there is nothing like having one at the Dole plantation though. Everything else just comes close - but it is a nice taste of heaven in Disney!

Laura670
08-31-2008, 11:04 PM
Actually, official Dole Whips are only sold in 4 places in the world. Adventureland at WDW, the Polynesian, Disneyland California, and Hawai'i.

I asked for a Dole Whip the other day and the lady asked me what flavor. I said, there is only one flavor of Dole Whip - pineapple. And she responded with "All of our ice cream is Dole Whip." I wasn't going to argue that the other ice creams are just generic mixes from a blue or brown box, depending on flavor and is not licensed by Dole.

That's not true there's an ice cream shop near me that seels the real dole whips! :mickey:

DisneyMomma23
09-01-2008, 01:25 AM
i too had never heard of these dole whips until reading about them here. I'm not a fan of pineapple, don't like the texture and i think the taste is very strong. but i convinced DH to get one on our last trip, he said for me to just take a small taste, OMG like so many have said PURE HEAVEN!! i made DH get right back in line to get another one hehe :blush:
still can't eat regular pineapple but give me a dole whip any day, but not a dole whip float - pineapple overload lol

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-02-2008, 01:04 AM
That's not true there's an ice cream shop near me that seels the real dole whips! :mickey:

Officially, Dole has only given the licensing for it to the Disney company. Other places might have gotten the recipes, or one extremely close but it it technically not the official product. Kinda like a generic brand of a medication - by legality, it has to be exactly the same product, down to the smallest milligram, but it is just not produced by the official company.

garthbarth1
09-14-2008, 09:09 PM
I have been wanting to get one of these for awhile now. For the float, can I get the pineapple/vanilla swirl with the pineapple juice or does it only come with the pineapple ice cream ? Im worried about pineapple overload! TIA :)

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-14-2008, 10:57 PM
You could probably get pineapple/vanilla or all pineapple or all vanilla. It'll come with the pineapple juice (which makes the float).

Although it doesn't really float since there are no bubbles like soda.

Pop Centurion
09-14-2008, 11:44 PM
You can definitely get the Pineapple/Vanilla swirl for the float. That's what I got last time because the all pineapple tends to get too sweet. Next time I think I'll try all Vanilla soft serve in the float to see how that is. But only once since the pineapple soft serve is the best part.