PDA

View Full Version : End of Dec. Jan.

PAMOUSELOVER
08-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Planning on going to WDW end of Dec. to beging of Jan. for my sons birthday. How busy will it be? I figure new years being busy, but after that? Looking at Dec. 29th till Jan. 4th.

Faver
08-29-2008, 12:32 PM
After New Years day, the crowd will thin out. But before New Years day, it's going to be wall to wall people.

With that said, it's still the only time that my family and I go to WDW.... We love it:number1:

Just really plan your days "pre-new years" and you'll be fine.

Mousemates
08-29-2008, 12:35 PM
Thats pretty much the schedule we had last year (and the one we're going wiht this year as well). AS you said, the days leading up to news years eve are very, very busy...however after news years day things calm down considerably crowd wise...(i.e. on a scale of 1-100, if the last few days were 100s crowdwise (i.e. jampacked to capcity)...then the first few days of January are 70s). So if you are patient, you can likely have some great touring days (with lots of rides) at the end of your trip.

When visiting at this time of year (just prior to New years eve), if riding is important, you have to make sure you get to the parks prior to opening and be in that first group that streams through the gates...it takes a while for things to fill up and you can get some good riding done before things hit gridlock. Also be sure to keep track of your fastpasses and use them religiously, when things are ultra-busy they are a great benefit. If riding isn't such a big deal, or you can put it off for a few days, you might take a day or so touring the resorts, taking in the Christmas decorations (AKL, WL, and GF are wonderful).

However, even with the busyness of the season, its a wonderful place to spend the holiday and IMHO the best place on planet earth to ring in the New Year...hope you have a great trip.

PAMOUSELOVER
08-31-2008, 12:27 PM
Thank you! His birthday is Jan. 3rd but they go back to school the 4th from winter break. I dont want to pull them out of school because we might go on a cruise for my DH's 40th birthday in March. I thought it would be a great place to spend the new year, and I have always wanted to see christmas decortaion at disney world. I am worried about flights that time of year also.

Faver
09-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Look for flights now!! :mickey: Since you're going after Christmas, you may find a decent price flight.... Also make any dining reservations you'd like sooner than later....

SamG
09-01-2008, 11:30 AM
We'll be down there the same time (12/29-1/3)... Never been during that time frame, but I'm planning on spending NYE at Blizzard Beach/Poly and hope the crowds stay at the parks.:party:

Then, go to MK (kids are 10, 5, 2) at opening on 1/1 while everyone else sleeps off:ill: the effects from the night before.

But don't tell anyone.:secret: I want us to be the only ones in the park the morning of the 1st. :mickey: LOL.

tigger_ttfn
09-02-2008, 01:32 AM
We arrived last year on Jan 1st. It was the "big freeze", but the cold didn't keep the crowds away. However, getting to the parks when they open and using fast pass we were able to do everything. The lines later in the day weren't ridiculous, but it was crowded. We enjoyed seeing the castle lit up at night and the Osborne lights, etc.:santa:

Obviously it can't be too bad, we are going back this year at the same time. But, we are praying for much warmer weather this time!

PAMOUSELOVER
09-02-2008, 12:00 PM
Well I am might be joing you in that plan.
I figure I am really going to enjoy the holiday magic and disney. If I can just put up with the crowds, I will be ok. We wnat last year in Aug. during free dinning. It was too hot, and too crodwed for me. Being from up north, cold wont bother us too much.

We'll be down there the same time (12/29-1/3)... Never been during that time frame, but I'm planning on spending NYE at Blizzard Beach/Poly and hope the crowds stay at the parks.:party:

Then, go to MK (kids are 10, 5, 2) at opening on 1/1 while everyone else sleeps off:ill: the effects from the night before.

But don't tell anyone.:secret: I want us to be the only ones in the park the morning of the 1st. :mickey: LOL.

PAMOUSELOVER
09-02-2008, 12:02 PM
I have and not founding nothing to low.

Look for flights now!! :mickey: Since you're going after Christmas, you may find a decent price flight.... Also make any dining reservations you'd like sooner than later....

Faver
09-02-2008, 02:01 PM
:(Sorry you haven't found a fairly priced flight! The airlines are going crazy! At this point, I guess it just depends if the dates you've chosen, are negotiable for your trip.

I know my family and I prefer that time of year as well....

Keep plugging away, I'm sure you'll find something you can live with!

All the best:mickey:

PAMOUSELOVER
09-03-2008, 01:26 PM
Not many choices of hotels on property open for the week I wanted to go. I had my heart set on CSR. Any advice at staying a disney owned hotel? Swan and dolpin are over priced for my dates. Some hotels say extra magic hours?

Faver
09-03-2008, 02:15 PM
:fingers: We've always done well at POP Century! I know the values will probably fill quickly. Are you against resort hopping? If you don't mind hopping you may find something that works.

That time of year is always more expensive for lodging and sometimes food for TS restaurants.

PAMOUSELOVER
09-04-2008, 09:04 AM
Everything in value, but sports is sold out.

:fingers: We've always done well at POP Century! I know the values will probably fill quickly. Are you against resort hopping? If you don't mind hopping you may find something that works.

That time of year is always more expensive for lodging and sometimes food for TS restaurants.

goofysbabe
09-04-2008, 10:49 AM
We'll be there from Dec. 26 thru Jan. 2. It's our first time for this time of year. I'm soooo excited, joined TGM and been reading everything that has to do with Disney. I'm worried about crowds, but think we'll manage just fine with the knowledge I have now. We're booked at POR - stayed there once before and loved it. Hope you find lodging soon - maybe we'll see ya there :)

PAMOUSELOVER
09-04-2008, 11:39 AM
What is TGM?
We might stay there also. I have been playign with dates. If we go the 29th -Jan.4th we would have to book riverside. If we go with Dec.31st till Jan.6th and take the kids out of school for two days we have a bigger choice of were we can stay. It all depend on if we decide to hold our crusie off till April during spring break or stick with our marhc dates.
I let you know!

We'll be there from Dec. 26 thru Jan. 2. It's our first time for this time of year. I'm soooo excited, joined TGM and been reading everything that has to do with Disney. I'm worried about crowds, but think we'll manage just fine with the knowledge I have now. We're booked at POR - stayed there once before and loved it. Hope you find lodging soon - maybe we'll see ya there :)

elmjimmlm
09-04-2008, 03:32 PM
We will also be there at that time-Dec.28th - Jan. 3rd...This is also our first time there during New Years...We are planning on Epcot that night and we have Coral Reef booked so we are just going to take our time and enjoy...

PAMOUSELOVER
09-06-2008, 11:29 AM
That sound nice. I figure the same plan if we book. Just to take things slow and enjoy the atmosphere. Were are you staying?

We will also be there at that time-Dec.28th - Jan. 3rd...This is also our first time there during New Years...We are planning on Epcot that night and we have Coral Reef booked so we are just going to take our time and enjoy...

elmjimmlm
09-06-2008, 02:24 PM
We always stay at POR AB section...I am hoping that Epcot is a good choice considering the size of the park...I would love to go to MK but from what I have read it would be crazy...

PAMOUSELOVER
09-10-2008, 08:59 AM
We havent book yet. I am hoping with the next week. But I am debating Epcot for new years ev. or MK. I thought if we do Epcot then Mk might not be as busy the next day.

For those who have done New years at WDW?
What would you pick? Also does WDW sell party hats etc anywhere?

We always stay at POR AB section...I am hoping that Epcot is a good choice considering the size of the park...I would love to go to MK but from what I have read it would be crazy...

PAMOUSELOVER
09-10-2008, 09:02 AM
Epcot or Mk for new years eve.?
Do they sell party favors?