PDA

View Full Version : What Would you do????

MelXThree
08-28-2008, 05:09 PM
We are traveling Jan 20-27, 2009 (Me, DH, DS5, DS2, DS2 also my parents are coming with us)

I thought I knew where to stay...planned on WL hoping for a discount but I have been looking at the prices and I keep thinking that my boys really don't care where we stay and would love POP. If we stayed at POP I could upgrade our dining plan to the deluxe so we could go to some shows and have sit down breakfasts but it does seem like A LOT of food.

What is your opion on changing to POP and the deluxe plan?? Do you think my parents (in there 50's) would like POP or is it to kiddish for them??

Thanks for all your help :mickey::mickey:

SBETigg
08-28-2008, 05:18 PM
I would stick with WL with parents coming along. I think they would much prefer it to POP. If money was a big issue, I'm sure you could change resorts and not miss the deluxe in favor of having an affordable trip. But if it's just to switch to the deluxe dining plan, I would say that it's not worth trading down in accommodations for the extra food. It really is a lot of food and you can probably get along just fine with the regular dining plan.

mouseketeer mom
08-28-2008, 05:40 PM
Completely stick with WL. We are just home from using the deluxe plan and we would not do it again. Check out my trip report, its posted now, read the first 6 days and you'll see what we mean. Way way way too much food. Too much time too, in order to get your $$$ worth.

disneygeek84
08-28-2008, 05:41 PM
If money is an issue and you need to downgrade, I would stay with the basic dinning plan and stay at a moderate resort. Even the basic dinning plan is a lot of food for me and my DH and we're both adults (it actually made me sick to eat that much food on our last trip). Unless you're already planning on doing alot of character meals and signature dinning, then doing the deluxe plan won't be worth it.

And to answer your other question..No, I don't think POP is too kiddish for adults. My family and I (parents included) have been staying at the value resorts for years and love them. But if your parents don't like the idea of the themes at the values, then I would try a moderate resort instead.

AllDisney
08-28-2008, 05:57 PM
POP to kiddish? Whatever happened to being a kid at WDW?

Listen, this is the one place, that when you see an 80 year old couple wearing matching Goofy hats that you smile at them and hope that you'll be that lucky to let the kid in you take over like that when you get to be 80:party:

POP would be just fine for everyone.

Jasper
08-28-2008, 06:38 PM
As always the best thing to do is to make a list of what you absolutely MUST have in your trip without any mention of cost and then a list of what you would like to have. Then Starting with the MUST have list start listing what each of these things will cost. If the total dollar amount of that list is too much then do the same thing with the things you would like to have list. I can almost guarantee that once you have done this exercise that you will have much better clarity about what you want and what you can afford.

Oh, and I am willing to bet that the grandparents in your party will be happy to stay anyplace where their grandchildren are happy!

MelXThree
08-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Thanks for all the info so far. I e-mailed my TA to ask about CB because I saw on the Disney web site that I may be able to get 3 night in a pirate room so I think that would make my parents happy and my son's happy.

As for the deluxe I think it's too much food and too much sitting in a resuarant (2 - 2yr olds siiting for 1 hour :funny:)

I am nervouse about all the walking and the buses for CB that I have heard about :(

Thanks for all your input so far :pirate:

KAT1811
08-28-2008, 09:14 PM
With small children I would say go for the value resort and skip the DDP. The values have great atmosphere for little ones and I agree with a PP that when the grandparents hear your little ones screaming with joy over the larger then life icons they'll be overwhelmed with joy. Personally the theming at POP doesn't do it for me, with little ones I would go for ASMovies (we just decided to downgrade from the GF to ASMovies because the children will enjoy the theming much more) I'm sure your boys would love the larger than life Toy Story characters and Dalmations! Wherever you stay you'll be happy.

We are not going with the DDP at all this trip. On our last trip we felt like prisoners to it and the ADRs controled our trip. If you plan to do at least 1 TS meal a day I suppose the basic DDP (the deluxe is just way too much food) may be worth it but for us we plan on going with the flow and highly doubt that we will be dining at a TS restaurant every day (especially with 3 DDS 11, 4, & 2). For us it takes too much time out of the day, getting from where you are in the park to where you need to be on time and then waiting for a table then eating, the children would much prefer to grab a quick bite and go back to the rides.

Good luck deciding, never and easy choice but you asked in the right place, you'll certainly get a great view of both sides.

P.S. - There is also a huge thread on the dining plan (people doing it or not doing it) going on. It may be worth you checking out. They have some great feedback.

Disoriented
09-08-2008, 01:14 AM
I can’t say that your parents would enjoy Pop more than WL or CBR but I’m willing to bet that they would enjoy the icons at Pop more than your kids. We stayed at Pop back in 05; of course I was still just a youngster of 48 at the time and just to make it even more interesting we had stayed at the GF RPC just 3 weeks prior (Talk about your opposite ends of the Disney hotel spectrum) and we still enjoyed the larger than life icons at Pop very much.

I’m guessing that I’m pretty close to the same age as your parents and we grew up with those icons. The Icons of the 50’s were still rather prevalent in the 60’s which bring fond memories of my adolescent years, and the icons of the 70’s bring back great memories of my teenage and early adult years lets face I was “That 70’s Show”

I doubt that your kids will have much connection with the icons of the 90’s much less the earlier decades. Can you really appreciate a 20 foot 8-track tape cartridge with out ever experiencing the real thing?

As for your kids I agree with a pp that they would probably enjoy the icons at one of the All Stars more.

Good luck with your decision and enjoy your trip!

Auntie
09-08-2008, 01:50 PM
I guess it depends also on how much time you will be spending at your resort. With a couple of two year olds are you planning to be in the parks all day..then a value is probably a better option. Then again if you are spending time at the resort the amenties offered at the WL can not be beat. For us..the resort is very much a part of the vacation, and we'd prefer the WL. We also enjoy the amenities..the bike rentals, the playground, the beach area..and of course the themed pool. I have no doubt in my mind that your parents would love the Lodge. If money is an issue..and you aren't able to stay at the lodge without a discount (and I've always been lucky enough to get a code or use some type of discount) I would stay at a moderate resort. We've stayed at the Caribbean Beach and requested one of the villages closest to the food court. No long lines for the bus..since it's one of the first stops, in the resort we had no problems with seats..and walking to the food court was easy. I understand it has the pool has been refurbished, I'd think it would be wonderful..it was nice before.