PDA

View Full Version : Trying to escape Fay mini trip day 1

starflyer59
08-27-2008, 03:59 PM
When August 22-24

Cast:
Me – 41 legally – 16 on the inside
Wife – Just as young and beautiful as the day I met her.

Port Orleans Riverside

We have had this trip planned for awhile now and tropical storm Fay was really trying to ruin our plans. This was our 20 anniversary trip to Disney. We spent our honeymoon at Disney 20 years ago and wanted to come back for our anniversary. This was a short trip because we are going to take a Disney cruise early in 2009.

Day 1

It has been storming almost all week due to tropical storm Fay so we leave Friday morning around 9:00am and the rain has let up some. We get a half a mile from the house and there is a huge tree down across the road. Not a good sign at all. Everyone is able to squeeze by the tree. Once we get near St. Augustine and I-95 (we live 30 mins from St. Augustine) the rain starts to fall very heavy. We can barely see the road. The rain and wind is really bad all the way to I-4. Once we get off onto I-4 the weather clears up a lot and we arrive in Orlando around lunch time.

We make our tradional stop at Festival Bay mall and buy something’s at the Bass Pro Shops. Then we head across the street and hit the Disney Outlet store to get shirts. We have to do Disney on a tight budget and no sense in paying full price for a shirt in the park that I can buy at the Disney outlet.

We arrive at Port Orleans Riverside around 3:00pm and the line is short for check in. Woo Hoo! We have arrived! Welcome home! The check in goes really nice and they give us Happy Anniversary buttons.

The room is really nice with a king bed and a fridge. We are way in the back in building 34 in Alligator Bayou. Things are a little flooded around the resort because of Fay but that is cool. It really makes you feel like you are in the swamps of Louisiana with all the standing water in the woods.

My biggest complaint is the hot tub. They need hot tubs at all the quite pools and someone needs to step in and tell the kids that hot tubs are not swimming pools. We tried to go to the hot tub after going to the park to relax and there are two adults and about eight kids in the hot tub. Not very romantical at all. One little kid even has his goggles on and is diving around in the hot tub. We wait about 20 minutes hoping they would get out and we finally gave up and went back to the room.
We decide to eat supper out in town tonight so around 5:00pm we head to Logan’s Roadhouse on Irlo Bronson highway. The rib eye steak is so good. We then head to Wal-mart and buy Disney shirts.

It’s raining too hard to go to DD so we head back to the lobby at Riverside to shop and look around. It is still pouring down and has turned into a big thunderstorm with lighting and rain.
We head back to the room and watch Stacy (on TV) and her 7 Most Important things to see and do at Disney. She is so awesome!
Coming up on Saturday…..Disney Hollywood Studios

tinkerbell04
08-27-2008, 05:33 PM
Other then the hot tub incident....it sounds like a great day! I know my DD and my DNeph love to get in the hot tubs at Disney because they are the only ones that they are allowed in. Most places don't allow kids in the hot tubs! I do not let them use them as a pool though, they have to sit and relax just like the grown-ups! Also, I make them get out if there are a lot of people waiting or in there.

Lizzie
08-27-2008, 05:38 PM
Wow crazy drive. Hope the rest of your trip goes well.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-27-2008, 07:51 PM
Hope the trip is great

ChipnDaleGal
08-28-2008, 08:05 AM
:fworks: Happy Anniversary!! :fworks:

Sorry about all the rain from Fay. Hopefully it will ease up a little so you two can enjoy some good park time. Thanks for reporting. :mickey:

pdrlkr
09-01-2008, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

faline
09-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Sorry about the rain! Seems like you had some disappointments in your anniversary celebration!