PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness Lodge ?'s

ljv1975
08-27-2008, 01:49 PM
We are thinking about changing our reservations from POR to the WL. I was wondering if this resort is nice and worth the extra money?

I was also wondering how the ferry service to the MK is? Is there somewhere that I can find out how early/late the ferry runs and how often it leaves the resort?

Thanks!! :mickey:

scootch713
08-27-2008, 02:25 PM
I think it is nice, worth the extra??? I would say only if you go to MK alot. The ferry starts early and ends very late, so you wouldn't have to worry much about missing it. Last year though, we found the bus goes directly to and from MK with no stops.... it is quicker than the monorail, truly a 3 min ride. So for times where we wanted scenery, we took it.... but if we just wanted to get to or from MK, the bus was oh so great! It is not talked about much on here, so not sure if most people know it even exists.

dolphinmickey9170
08-27-2008, 02:35 PM
We just returned from WL on Saturday the 23rd. There are two boats that leave the dock.

One is for the MK and it has a red flag on it. It starts running a half hour before park opening until a half hour after close...so the sign stated on the dock.

The other boat goes to the Contemporary and has a blue flag. It starts running at 645am and runs late.

Spindrift
08-27-2008, 02:46 PM
WL is stunning!

We think it's worth the upgrade. The lobby is amazing. The rooms are a little bit bigger and the pool is nicer IMHO.

Tygger7
08-27-2008, 02:56 PM
IMHO, we love the WL and feel it's worth the extra money. Why?

-The beds are WONDERFUL in WL
- Rooms are a little larger, and you have a balcony
- Proximity to MK....the boat takes a little longer, but it's our favorite way to go.
- The atmosphere....I just love everything about it, inside & out.
- Speaking of $$...we received a free upgrade to a courtyard view room because our standard room wasn't ready on time. I'd always said the view wasn't worth the extra money....I was wrong. It was so relaxing to sit on the balcony & drink coffee in the morning, overlooking the pool & watching all the little ducks swimming. It was equally refreshing in the evening after a long day at the parks. So, now a standard room just won't cut it...we're courtyard view from now on. :D

goofygirl64
08-27-2008, 04:19 PM
My husband and I both LOVE the WL. We have stayed there several times and always feel sad when we have to leave. My husband made the comment that this is the only hotel that he actually wants to spend time just sitting in the lobby, it is that gorgeous :thumbsup:

So yes, I feel that it is worth the extra!

EpcotNut
08-27-2008, 08:00 PM
I would say that it's up to you - they are really 2 different types of experiences. WL is very dramatic with a large, grand lobby and meticulous landscaping. I would classify POR more charming with not quite as many ammenities. Overall, the proximity to MK and the sheer beauty of WL, imo, would make it worth the extra $$. Either way - enjoy!!:thumbsup:

grammy3
08-27-2008, 09:25 PM
We loved the WL for many reasons :

1) Beautiful,
2) ferry to MK,
3) room size,
4) comfortable beds
5) Smiling CM's
6) Quiet
7) Great Dining Options
We had woods view and in the mornings it was wonderful to sit on balcony and enjoy the scenery and peaceful surroundings.

We have also stayed at POR and enjoyed that stay but WL is just special.:cloud9:

Where ever you stay will be enjoyable!:thumbsup:

Grammy

mouseketeer mom
08-27-2008, 09:49 PM
Yes. It is worth the upgrade. It is our second favorite resort after the Poly. There is something just so wonderfully peaceful and relaxing about this resort.

Mickey91
08-27-2008, 11:33 PM
WL is our favorite resort!:mickey:

Figaro
08-29-2008, 04:37 AM
WL is AWESOME. That's where I'm based when I'm working at Disney and it's my absolute favorite place to work. It's a beautiful resort. Themed to the tee. Nothing missing. The rooms that I've seen are VERY nice, the pool of course I'm partial too, Roaring Fork also has great food. Many a days before driving a fireworks cruise I'd have Roaring Fork Chicken Fingers... best chicken ive had anywhere I think. Very easy to get to MK and the other resorts. There's a transportation boat that runs to MK-WL-FW-WL-MK and one is at the docks every 5-8 minutes all day long. There's also a smaller launch that goes WL-FW-CT all day. The ferry runs usually 3-4 hours after park closing I think. It also starts around 7-8am I think. You can make a full vacation just out of things to do at WL, also. Hidden Mickey Hunt, Boat rental, Bike rental, Lodge Tour, etc. :thumbsup: :mickey:

wilshade
08-29-2008, 09:07 AM
I haven't stayed at the WL yet, though it is on my "Must DO Very Soon" list.

But, I have been there many times for dinner at Artist Point and Whispering Canyon.

Yes, as others have said, the buses are pretty efficient here. But, the view of the hotel from the water is absolutely spectacular. Though, I might take the bus from the WL to the MK, I always take the boat from MK to the WL.

Wilderness Lodge is just a beautiful, beautiful resort.

maxrebo77
08-29-2008, 06:13 PM
Wilderness Lodge is our sentimental favorite. Lobby is great, although it does echo a little. Several places to sit in a rocker by a fireplace. Hidden Mickey Hunt and Lady Bug release (I think still) Pool that waterfalls out of the lobby. Nice lounge, two restaurants, great gift store. Geyser, choices of transportation to and from parks.
If you can afford it, and you wish to spend time at MK and maybe dine at the monorail resorts, this is the place for you. We loved it!

Canadiana Jones
08-30-2008, 06:40 PM
Wilderness Lodge is worth every over-spent penny in my books. It is simply awesome! Bus service and Boat service are great (the boats go continuously for a min. of an hour after park closing and the bus ride home is about 4 minutes long). We toured the Poly and GF while at the lodge, and I would choose the Lodge hands down. I could go on and on but to save time I will simply say we are hooked.

RBrooksC
09-02-2008, 07:48 AM
If you can afford to move up to WL, then I would suggest doing that.

First off, it is considered a deluxe resort so that is the first plus. Second, it is the best themed resort at Disney. This resort has a true back story.

It is on Bay Lake so one may sit on the beach, rent boats (Sea Raycers are fantastic), or catch a boat ride to CR, FW, or MK.

I loved riding the boat to CR, catching the Monorail to TTC and then taking the Monorail to Epcot. It did take a little longer than the bus or our rental car, but it was a very enjoyable way to get to Epcot.

Also getting up at the crack of stupid to go to Chef Mickey's for breakfast was tempered by the boat ride. It was a beautiful morning the day we did that and I could have ridden the boat for at least another hour with a cup of coffee in my hands.

BigRedDad
09-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Also getting up at the crack of stupid

I had to laugh at that. I am an early riser (2AM - 3AM), so I know what stupid is.

OP,
Thanks for asking the question. We moved from CR to WL to save $500 on our trip. I love reading all of the good info about the resort knowing that the decision was not that bad.

Mackflava99
09-02-2008, 11:45 AM
WL is TREMENDOUS-

Ferry service to Mk is very easy and fast.
It runs very early-
I had to take ferry to contemporary a few days at 6am and it was quick and on time.

Also note- ferry goes to 3 places- MK, Fort Wilderness and Contemporary Resort-

The FW and CR ferry may go in either direction first ( CR or FW- ) the other only goes to MK-
BUT you can always take the ferry to CR and then monorail to MK or walk to Mk from CR- ( very short walk. ) so there are a ton of options.-

thumperbug
09-02-2008, 02:22 PM
We will be staying at WL for the third time on our next trip in Feb 09. The first time we stayed was Dec 06. We walked into the lobby and oh my goodness our breaths were taken away. The resort was of course decorated for the holidays and it was one of the most amazing sights ever seen. The tree in the middle of the lobby was so tall you had to bend your head back to see the top.

Even without holiday decor there is just something about that resort that makes you feel you are in another world. It doesn't have that "hotel" feel when you walk in.

Thats not to say anything negative about all other resorts because we have stayed at many of them and enjoyed them all, but given the choice we would choose WL first.

We are also fans of the whole woodsy-mountain lodge feel so to us, WL is the ultimate.

waymickey
09-02-2008, 04:17 PM
WL is Awsome!! It is so nice and the only resort I like to just sit back and relax. The CMs there are the best in the world and the theming is incredible. The boat is great and if you take it when the firworks start most boat pilots will slow down so you can get a beautiful view of them. We always rent bikes and explore the trails between WL and FW and the mouse boats are so much fun. Can't go wrong at this resort!:mickey:

lockedoutlogic
09-02-2008, 08:42 PM
We are thinking about changing our reservations from POR to the WL. I was wondering if this resort is nice and worth the extra money?

I was also wondering how the ferry service to the MK is? Is there somewhere that I can find out how early/late the ferry runs and how often it leaves the resort?

Thanks!! :mickey:

That is a difficult question to answer....exactly....

Wilderness lodge is probably one of the nicest resorts (top 3) all things considered.

But to gauge the difference in what you get for the money is hard. you will like wilderness lodge better....will you like 100 bucks or more a night? i would venture to say no.

Fundamentally....all the disney hotels are run to about equal standards....they are all very conveniently located and have similar feels to them...though you get nicer scenery and perks the more you pay.

I think port orleans riverside (DIXIE LANDINGS!!!) is the nicest of the moderates....

wilderness lodge might be the best theme of any location.....but it was originally built as a moderate class resort....so the rooms are slightly smaller than other deluxes.....and the pool is not as grandiose as the others.....but everything is great.

and since "value" was your concern...i'll say this:

my east coast compatriots that have responded seem more likely to spend more money on travel and upgrades and think little of it....

that's not an insult....but it is a difference that is real. More of a geographic thing....it seems

I...growing up just down I-79 from you....can tell you that unless you really just lounge all day.....you're probably better served spending the money elsewhere....food....souvies....recreation...etc.

spending more on the hotel is a comparitively small enhancement.....it would be a big deal to many (particularly those that are used to it)...while it may not be much to many others....

if the plan is to leave early....do the park thing most if not all of the day....and only maybe grab a quick bite at the hotel or a little swim time....you probably won't get the value of your increased expenditure back

take it for what it's worth.....this advice is only IF the cost is an issue.....if cost is not i would completely recommend wilderness, beach, animal kingdom, and the poly

Mousemates
09-02-2008, 10:55 PM
....or instead of making it an either or decision,you could do a split stay and enjoy both extra savings for a few days, and then finish you vacation off at one of Disney's better themed resorts.

DisneyDoug2
09-03-2008, 12:54 PM
We have never stayed at POR so I can't really give you a good comparison, but we have stayed at the WL twice and plan to stay there again in Jan 09. The hotel is wonderfully! Nice pool with a geyser, check out the fire place with the Grand Canyon layering, and the overall grounds are very nice. If you plan to spend a lot of time in DW take the boat!

kemps@wdw
09-03-2008, 10:05 PM
As you can tell from my signature, the WL is the place for us!:thumbsup: Out of all the resorts we've stayed. we seem to spend less time on transportation from WL. And as WDW "vets", we tend to spend a little more time relaxing @ our resort as well. LOVE sitting on my balcony, overlooking the pool and Bay Lake. We've had all views (MK, woods, lodge, and courtyard). And though all were great and had their pluses, we prefer the courtyard view. We even request a specific room (yes, we know what room # we want), when we check in! (tip: if you do decide to stay there and are an early riser, have coffee on the dock @ sunrise...truly a spectacular sight!!)

Figaro0826
09-09-2008, 09:40 PM
We went on out honeymoon at POR, was disappointed.

long walk back to room, 45 minutes bus ride to most anywhere.

for our anniversary we tried the Wilderness Lodge.

Wow! we were hooked , no this isnt a fishing story. LOL ,Its worth the extra money were going again for our 3rd anniversary, gonna be hard to top that place , yes WL :cloud9:gets my vote!1

CaptSmee
09-10-2008, 11:19 PM
It's definitely worth the extra $$$ over POR. The food, rooms, pool, and transporation are all far superior over POR.

Your comparing a deluxe resort, and one that is tops at WDW to a moderate resort (one that is among the worst IMHO). This would be a no brainer for me...

Figaro0826
09-17-2008, 10:15 PM
went to POR on , honeymoon, booked a year out.
Was put in alligator bayou instead of the mansion section, and I even called 3 times to cofirm the magnolia bend section in the mansions. still we got stuck in the bayou.

anyways for our anniversary we stayed at the WL, were going back next for a week.

no comparision, WL takes them hands down, I guarentee you will be satified 100%.

But be warned, WL is an addiction.:thumbsup: