PDA

View Full Version : Ddp Basic

moe513
08-27-2008, 09:11 AM
Is this a no brainer to get if we like to do one ts meal a day????????????? I want to try the dolphin/swan but cant get the ddp so now I dont know what to do.:unsure:

watch4pixiedust
08-27-2008, 12:06 PM
If you do a TS every day, then it probably is a no brainer. We only do 2 or 3 TS for the week unless we have free dining. For us, we come out better $-wise without the DDP (if we have to pay for it) since we can often split CS and/or TS meals. BUT, there are many differing opinions about it, as the needs and preferences of each family are different.

Sorry I can't help with free DDP vs Swan/Dolphin.....haven't stayed there.

Marker
08-27-2008, 12:41 PM
I don't know if I'd call it a no-brainer. It depends a lot on your eating style.

Some folks on the DDP tend to order the most expensive items on the menu to get the most for their money. Other's tend to just stick with what they like. As an example, I love the meatloaf at 50's Prime Time Cafe. At $12.79 as opposed to $18.49 for the New York Strip, I'm not getting as much for the money.

Also, I would much prefer having a salad or cup of soup with a meal rather than desert. When I go to LeCellier, I'm definitely getting the cheese soup, but really don't care if I have a desert because I'm basically full by that time.

Also, some folks prefer to have a table service meal at lunch time. Lunch menus are sometimes less expensive than dinner menus. Again, not fully utilizing potential of the DDP.
So, cost wise it's really kind of dependant on your eating style. Take some time to look at the menus, see what you'd likely order, and add it up.

I have been a fan of the DDP, and I still am. But it's financial benefit is not what it used to be. In many scenarios, it will still save you some money, but not as much as it used to. Under other scenarios, it's not cost effective.

The DDP does have other, non monetary benefits as well :

Your meals for your vacation are pre-paid, you don't have to have the concern of paying as-you-go.
It's really nice to order your meal without having to be concerned with the price. As the one who pays the bill, without the meals being pre-paid, I normally cringe when one of my kids instinctively aims at the more expensive items on the menu.
Without the dining plan, I would never have tried as many of the table service locations as I have. Prior to using the dining plan, we typically ate mostly if not all counter service.

One option I can see would be to basically pay yourself the $37.99 per person, per day, and execute your own dining plan. Load that money onto your room key, or a separate debit card, and use it basically as you would for the dining plan. You'll still have the feel of things basically being pre-paid (with the knowledge that it could go over if not used properly) but a bit more freedom (i.e, I can order a cup of soup instead of desert).

moe513
08-27-2008, 12:53 PM
Great idea Marker.