PDA

View Full Version : Skunks?!

crazypoohbear
08-26-2008, 10:28 PM
Help, a skunk has decided that he likes hanging out in my yard. :sick:
Every night he wanders around under my bedroom and living room window and stinks.
How can I get him to go away! He hasn't sprayed yet but just him wandering stinks.
I want him gone.
I also have a ground hog that has decided that my yard is the happening place to be.
We have bunnies (all named Henry!) but we like them.
Any ideas on getting rid of a skunk and possibly a ground hog.
P.S. I don't own a gun so don't suggest that solution :D

SBETigg
08-26-2008, 10:43 PM
I've heard that spreading dishwashing liquid on the ground helps. The soap soaks the ground and makes it uncomfortable or taints the grubs that skunks go after, or something-- not sure how it works, or if it does. Worth a shot? Also, good lawncare helps. Skunks like yards with lots of grubs, worms, and insects. Good luck. Blech, skunks.

DisneyWhirled
08-26-2008, 11:04 PM
We had skunks...and the reason we had skunks was because the groundhog dug holes that the skunks liked to use for their nests.

We built an addition on to our old house on sono tubes (to save money on the foundation/slab). We then put plywood to the ground and sided it. Well, not long after it was finished, Mr. Ground Hog had burrowed underneath where it was cool and quiet. Mr & Mrs Skunk followed suit shortly thereafter (as the weather got cooler....they kicked out the groundhog) and soon they were having their babies. Talk about smell!! I was pregnant and extremely sensitive to the smell. It had to stop.

So, long story short, (and please don't flame me), we called our local town Animal Control Officer and he set Have A Heart traps and moved them.

One day, I went outside in the AM and there was a ginormous skunk asleep in the trap.

We then had to dig the ground and put chicken wire on the house in the form of an L underground to prevent this from happening again.

I love animals and would not hurt one (In fact DH saved a skunk once...ask me about the mayo jar sometime) but the smell was horrid.

I am sorry to have bored you with my story, but I wanted you to know you were not alone.

I hope it works out for you!

Ed
08-27-2008, 04:57 AM
Funny this came up now... on the way to work this morning, I came through an area where a skunk had recently done his/her thing.....phewwwwww.....

Here's a few tips; (http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/pest-control/how-to-get-rid-of-skunks/) gotta love Google!

Good luck.

kakn7294
08-27-2008, 09:11 AM
I love animals and would not hurt one (In fact DH saved a skunk once...ask me about the mayo jar sometime) but the smell was horrid.Oh, I can't wait to ask John about this in October! We used to have them in the yard of our old house as well. One night, I had to call into work and tell them I would be late because the skunks (there were 2 of them at the time) wouldn't let me out of the house to get into my car! We didn't have a garage and everytime I would open the door to leave, the skunks would either stare me down or stamp their feet. They never sprayed but I had to wait about 20 min for them to leave.

Getting rid of the grubs should help a great deal. No food source = no skunks. You can treat your lawn yourself with products you can buy at any lawn / garden center. Just read the directions and precautions carefully when selecting a product.

crazypoohbear
08-28-2008, 02:19 PM
We have put down stuff for the grubs in the past. My DH did a couple of treatments this year. Maybe we need more?
I can't figure out where the skunk is living but he seems to enjoy spending time right under my windows! :sick:
We don't leave trash out and we don't have any pets so there is no food left out.
A few weeks ago we had a birthday party for DH and after dusk the skunk just came wandering by. Luckily at that time most everyone had moved inside because of the mosquitos.
I think I'll have DH treat the lawn again for grubs.
Now if I could get rid of the ground hog as well

minnie1956
08-28-2008, 09:37 PM
Skunks took up residence in our crawl space under our bedroom. Have you ever woken at 3 in the a.m. gagging from the stench because a skunk and groundhog were battling for the space. OMG even my purse which was near the window got it. We had a groundhog die in the crawlspace too. It sounds wicked, but the skunks were removed by a vehicle on the main road near our house. I have heard that if you sprinkle dried fox urine available on the net, around your home they will not come around it.
Good luck!

thrillme
08-29-2008, 09:24 AM
There's some stuff available at Home Depot/Lowes. I think it's called "skunk rid". It pretty much smells like pepper. Sprinkle it everywhere you don't want them AND...if you can find their "hole" sprinkle a good amount of some of this in their hole at "night" (don't do it during the day. If they're there you could get bit. At night they leave to "hunt". Just plugging up the hole usually doesn't work because they dig.