PDA

View Full Version : American Idol Season 8 Discussion

caryrae
08-26-2008, 04:38 PM
What do you guys think of American Idol adding the 4th judge? What do they do when 2 like someone and 2 don't, does a tie go to the singer?

By ADAM BUCKMAN

August 25, 2008

"American Idol" will have four judges this season season - the most significant change in the history of TV's most popular show.

The fourth judge is a 37-year-old songwriter from Scarsdale named Kara DioGuardi, Fox announced this morning.

She'll join "Idol" judges Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul and Randy Jackson when the new season of "Idol" premieres in January.

Producers say they're adding a fourth judge to the American "AI" because the show's many international editions have also had four judges.

"We had originally intended for 'American Idol' to have four judges," executive producer Cecile Frot-Coutaz said in a statement. "We've seen from our international series that having a fourth judge creates a dynamic that benefits both the contestants and viewers."

DioGuardi is a songwriter and music-industry entrepreneur. She is co-owner of a music publishing company called Arthouse Entertainment.

She is credited with writing dozens of hit songs for many top recording stars, including Kylie Minogue ("Spinning Around"), Marc Anthony ("I've Got You"), Hillary Duff ("Fly"), Faith Hill ("Lost"), Santana ("I'm Feeling You") and Kelly Clarkson ("Walkaway").

In fact, the song "Spinning Around" was originally written for Paula Abdul, for an album that was never made, according to songwritersuniverse.com.

MNNHFLTX
08-26-2008, 05:13 PM
I'm kind of ambivalent them adding a fourth person. I suppose it might jump-start the ratings initially as people tune in out of curiosity. It will be interesting to see what Kara DioGuardi's niche will be (let's see--we have the hip middle-of-the-road judge, the "I just love you" judge, the ascerbic British judge--so what will the new one be like?)

My one hope is that this means they will be doing away with the guest judges this year. That has gotten very old.

caryrae
08-26-2008, 05:17 PM
I'm kind of ambivalent them adding a fourth person. I suppose it might jump-start the ratings initially as people tune in out of curiosity. It will be interesting to see what Kara DioGuardi's niche will be (let's see--we have the hip middle-of-the-road judge, the "I just love you" judge, the ascerbic British judge--so what will the new one be like?)

My one hope is that this means they will be doing away with the guest judges this year. That has gotten very old.

Did they have guest judges last season? Can't remember. I know they had singers help them out but not judge them.

NotaGeek
08-26-2008, 05:20 PM
Maybe they can incorporate some type of Death Match sing-off if there's a tie to win the ticket to LA for the preliminary shows. :thedolls:

LauraleeH
08-26-2008, 10:11 PM
My guess was this is to slowly phase-out Paula.

Minnie Imagineer
08-26-2008, 11:15 PM
My guess was this is to slowly phase-out Paula.

haha, I bet thats true! I think 4 judges will be crowded and its too confusing with ties. What will happen to all those spoofs of the 3 judges now??!
:D

JanetMegan
08-27-2008, 08:23 AM
The judges are my least favorite part of the show so I'm not that keen on them adding another one just to draw out the show...

TheDuckRocks
08-27-2008, 11:50 AM
The judges are my least favorite part of the show so I'm not that keen on them adding another one just to draw out the show...

:exactly: Do you realize if we didn't have them going on and on, how much more singing we could hear? And who really cares if Paula is drunk and claps like a seal or Randy has a very limited vocabulary or that Simon takes such pride in being a jerk.