PDA

View Full Version : How many miles from hotels to parks

GloMonkey
08-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Is there a website or some information to check for me to find out how many miles from the hotels to the different parks? I mean if its only like 4-5 miles from the cheapo hotels to MK or Epcot it doesn't seem all that bad, or is it much farther? Its hard for me to tell. If you rent a car and drive yourself around is it faster? It would seem so, but then do you get stuck in traffic with all the day trippers? In the unofficial guide they have a chart telling you apprx time to get from point A to point B using both Disney transportation and your own car. Disney seemed a tad faster. But how many miles apart are all these places?

SAHDad
08-26-2008, 04:47 PM
I can't vouch for the accuracy of Mapquest, but I did a quick check, and you can enter (for example) All Star Sports in Orlando FL as your origin and Magic Kingdom in Orlando FL as your destination, and it gives directions. (Several businesses with each name will pop up as possible locations, you just have to chose the correct one.)

The directions look correct, but since I have always used Disney transportation, I'm not as familiar with street names.

GloMonkey
08-26-2008, 05:23 PM
Thanks. It's a ballpark at least. On the Disneyland boards, they have a site with how many STEPS it is from various hotels to the front gates of the 2 parks that's why I asked.

Jasper
08-26-2008, 05:43 PM
I am sure the Mapquest way is the best but if I had to guess I would say that none of the Disney resorts are more than about 5 miles or so from each of the parks. As for renting a car or taking Disney Transport we have tested both methods (at the same time) and almost always found Disney to be a little faster.

Bri
08-27-2008, 11:48 AM
also, if you are going to rent a car remember that you have to pay for parking at the parks. i know someone who has a time share in kissimmee and parks and downtown disney and takes the disney transportation from there. i don't think you have to pay for parking at downtown disney.

Nascfan
08-27-2008, 01:12 PM
also, if you are going to rent a car remember that you have to pay for parking at the parks.

Not if you are staying on-site, which the originial poster did not indicate one way or the other, but just a bit of FYI there.

joonyer
08-27-2008, 02:25 PM
If you stay off-site nearby, such as hwy 192 or DD area, it really doesn't take very long to drive to the theme parks, maybe only a few minutes more that staying on site if you were driving, although it is a long way from AKL to MK.

And in general riding the bus from a Disney resort general is faster than driving your own car (unless you want to risk a speeding ticket, though heavy traffic usually will prevent this). Driving yourself to the parks may occasionally take less time than riding a Disney bus, except you need to remember that the Disney buses drop you off right at the park entrances. No shuttling from parking lot to gate, which is especially nice especially at night when you are leaving the parks on your way back to the hotel.

This is especially true for the MK, where if you drive and park, you are still a LONG way from the MK entrance. You have to shuttle to the TTC for a monorail or take the ferry across the lake. That takes 20-30 minutes longer than riding the bus from your hotel directly to the park entrance

passholderryan
08-27-2008, 03:32 PM
Take in to consideration the cost of the "cheapo" hotels (about $50 a night), the cost of renting a car, paying for parking 9 $11 a day now I think) and the hassle of dealing with the traffic after a long day. Then look at staying at a Disney Value resort. They probably will end up costing around the same, except you don't have to drive, the EMH, and in my opinion a better Disney experience.