PDA

View Full Version : Money on your room key

DreaminofDisney24
08-26-2008, 10:56 AM
Not sure where to post this! We're in the process of deciding what cash to bring down and whatnot, and I'm not all the way sure about how linking a CC to your room key works. Is it a set amount or unlimited? and then do you use your key anywhere like a CC and get your bill for all those expenses when you check out? If someone can explain the process to me, that'd be great!:)

Nut4DW
08-26-2008, 11:05 AM
They will ask you when you check in at the resort if you want to allow charge priviledges to your room key - and if you do, they will take your cc number and let you charge up to the amout you set - up to $1,000 (or that was the limit when we were there) - if you need more you can go back during your stay and have it changed I think. You can always check to see how much has been charged also. Hope that helps.

SBETigg
08-26-2008, 11:06 AM
We find it very convenient. At check in, you give the desk CM a credit or debit card to base the charges on. Then you charge to the room using your key card instead of having to carry large amounts of cash or charge cards around the park. You can set a limit, but there aren't limits in general. You could even set limits per card-- say you have kids, and you want to give them charging ability but only up to $100. You could set the kids' cards at a small amount.

What happens is that when your charges reach a certain amount, depending on resort level (I think it's $1500 at deluxes and it goes down from there), your card is charged and your balance starts over fresh at zero. But you can also check at the desk, get printouts of your spending (that detail what you bought where and when, as well as keeping track of your dining plan, if you have one), and pay down the balance with cash, check, or a different credit or debit card at any time. It's so easy and great for keeping a balanced budget because you have the detailed record to review and keep track of while you're there.

Tygger7
08-26-2008, 11:08 AM
I see from your signature you're going to WL and since that's where we normally stay, I can pass along how it worked for us.

When we checked in, they asked us if we wanted charging priviledges on our card. I put the ability to charge on my and my DH's cards, but did not give charging priviledges to my DD or her friend that was with us. The amount you have available to charge is based on the level of resort you stay at. If memory serves me, it was $2000 at WL (and the other deluxe resorts), $1500 at moderate resorts, and $1000 at value resorts. When you charge on your "key to the world" card, it goes against the resort limit of $2000. At any time, you can get a listing from the conceriege desk of all the transactions on your card, and how much you've charged. You can also have them run through the current charges on your account, which will reset your spending limit to $2000.

Unless you request otherwise, (and you're under the $2000), they don't run the charges through on your credit card until you check out, and it's done as one transaction for the total amount you charged. The itemized breakdown will show on your final bill.

Hope this helps!

Mrs Bus Driver
08-26-2008, 11:47 AM
Sorry to hijack the tread but I have a quick question. DD21 is going with me, could we each have our own debt card attached to our individual room keys? :mickey:

Strmchsr
08-26-2008, 11:49 AM
Sorry to hijack the tread but I have a quick question. DD21 is going with me, could we each have our own debt card attached to our individual room keys? :mickey:

I'm pretty sure it's just one card per room, but they don't charge the card until you check out, so keep track of your spending and then you can each pay your part upon checking out.

Mrs Bus Driver
08-26-2008, 11:57 AM

SurferStitch
08-26-2008, 01:00 PM
I'm pretty sure it's just one card per room, but they don't charge the card until you check out, so keep track of your spending and then you can each pay your part upon checking out.

If you reach your limit, you WILL be charged at that time. So, if you reach the charge limit on the room key a few days into your trip, your credit card will be charged, and the room key balance goes back to zero.

Mrs Bus Driver
08-26-2008, 03:25 PM
Thanks I was planning on bringing enough cash for tips and then using my debt card with a $500 limit for extras (which I will try not to use AMAP). I have spent enough on this trip already and since I'm paying for everything else DD can pay for her extras. :D :mickey:

CleveRocks
08-26-2008, 04:13 PM
You don't need plastic to set up a room charge ... you can back up a room charge with cash, travelers checks, Disney Dollars or Disney gift cards.

It is true that, if you do use plastic, your card won't be charged until you hit the pre-set limit OR it's early in the morning of your check-out day.

If you use plastic, there is NO HOLD on the card/account, and your card is NOT pre-charged in any way. In fact, they don't even check to see if you have sufficient available credit/balance!

CleveRocks
08-26-2008, 04:16 PM
INTERCOT member TheRustyScupper has posted extensively on this topic. He reports that more than one room charge can be set up simultaneously per room.

He says you must request a "SHARE" and that you must use that specific word "SHARE." He says that if the front desk CM has never heard of this or says it can't be done, that you ask the CM to check with a lead and/or to check the front desk operations manual, as it is an established if little-known procedure.

CleveRocks
08-26-2008, 04:20 PM
If you set up only one room charge, there's still a way to know who spent what. At any time, you can go to the front desk and request an up-to-the-minute printout of your room charge account activity. It will list every transaction. One of the notations for each transaction will be the KTTW card number used for the purchase. If you have 4 people in your room, each with charging privileges on their KTTW cards, the cards will be numbered 1 through 4 (or maybe more precisely 01 through 04). That way, if you want, you can go line-by-line with the printout and determine how much each person spent.