PDA

View Full Version : PH to AP- How does it work?

DisneyDudet
08-26-2008, 10:13 AM
In my infinite knowledge of everything Disney Park related, this is something that I am clueless on!

We are going to WDW in 2 weeks or so with free dining. We purchased 5 day MYW with PH with our package. I know that the park tickets are on the KTTWC.

Now, here is where it gets tricky, at least for me.

We are wanting to upgrade to APs. I know we can, and we need to do it before we use a day on the pass, so that all monies paid for prior will apply to the AP.

Now, do they go in and take out the park ticket out of the KTTWC and then issue an AP? I can't see them giving us an AP on the KTTWC, I know that much. Again, I may be wrong, as this is new territory for me. I know all this can be done, I just haven't experienced this before!

Can someone please inform me of the entire process, so that I will half way look like I know what is going on!

Thanks guys!

Beast_fanatic
08-26-2008, 10:04 PM
Hi Morgan! :wave:

I can't really help as I'm not sure myself (I thought I remembered someone saying they had done this and their annual pass was on their room key, but I probably dreamt that). Anyway, I do know that you'll have to go to guest relations at one of the parks or Downtown Disney to do the upgrade as they can't do it at the resorts.

Hopefully someone that has done this will be along soon with the real answer!

wdwnomad
08-26-2008, 11:25 PM
Since you are going to have to dining credits on your KTTWC it can sometimes get tricky because the dining credits somehow/sometimes get voided out. There two things you can do:

1-Wait until all of your dining credits are used and then upgrade your tickets. The start date of your AP will be retroactive to the first day you used your ticket. Plus, since you used your ticket Disney is going to base your "credit" on the current gate price tickets. Disney raised ticket prices since you booked your package. If upgraded before using your ticket they would base the credit on the price you paid for the ticket. You end up saving a couple of dollars this way.

2-The other way to do it is ask at check-in for the CM to put your park tickets on a separate card. This way the dining credits and tickets aren't together. You won't have the problem of losing the dining credits when upgrading the tickets. Sometimes though CM at the front desk don't know how to do this. If they don't then just say ok. You can then take your KTTWC over to the conceigre desk and ask them to remove the ticket from your room key and put it on a separate card. They should know how to do this. Once you have your separate tickets you then go about upgrading your tickets right away and being able use the AP discounts if you wanted. Remember to use your ticket first then upgrade to get the higher ticket value.

DisneyDudet
08-29-2008, 11:18 AM
I just called and talked to many different people at WDW today! First was to extend my birthday trip, but that's neither here nor there...

The first CM I talked to told me I could not upgrade a package Pass to an AP. Hmmmm. When she sensed that I kind of knew what I was talking about, she gave me another number to call, which was Ticketing. I talked to a CM there, and she did explain the fact that when I check into the resort, that I tell them that we are upgrading to an AP, and that they should be able to make the tickets be on a separate card. I then can go to the park and exchange my PHs to APs. I can do it at any point in the trip, even if I use days on the Park Hopper. I then can take the card to a ticket counter at anytime and they will exchange them to APs based on the price I paid. I did ask about if its based on the price I paid, or the current ticket prices, and she said she wasn't positive, but thinks that it is based on price paid. Either way, the anniversary (renewal) date on the AP will be the first day I use the actual pass, which means, the first day I use my Park Hopper, regardless of if its the first day or last day.

I just wanted to explain the process as it was explained to me for anyone who is thinking the same thing. I will be sure to ask the concierge when I arrive to double check anything. I especially want all the monies paid toward the pass to be applied to the AP for sure!

Thanks for all your help, wdwnomad!

crazypoohbear
08-29-2008, 12:32 PM
So, If I want to upgrade my one day base ticket (purchased to get free dining) I will upgrade it to an annual pass and pay the difference say.
1 day base ticket $50.00
Annual Pass $475.00
trade in and I would pay $425.00 for the annual pass?
Is this correct?
I know I fudged on the actual price but to make it easy for me.

DisneyDudet
08-29-2008, 12:44 PM
So, If I want to upgrade my one day base ticket (purchased to get free dining) I will upgrade it to an annual pass and pay the difference say.
1 day base ticket $50.00
Annual Pass $475.00
trade in and I would pay $425.00 for the annual pass?
Is this correct?
I know I fudged on the actual price but to make it easy for me.

You got it right! This way... you basically get to make payments on your AP, and not drop all that money at once. Makes it seem like you're not taking as much of a hit in the pocketbook!

šoš

wdwnomad
08-29-2008, 10:39 PM
Glad to hear you got your answers. I am almost willing to bet that you if you use your tickets first they will give you credit based on the current gate price. I picked that part up after some other posts on this. I think it has something to do with that after you use your ticket they can't go back in the system to see how much you paid for it or something like that so they just use the current gate prices. In the whole scheme of things though it probably isn't that much of a difference in price. It is just a way to save a couple of bucks.

mouseketeer mom
08-31-2008, 09:07 AM
We just came back 2 weeks ago. We had a nine day PH for our family of 5. On our second to last day, I went to guest relations at the MK to inquire about upgrade to AP. I was worried about it because I have a package booked for our next trip in November, and didn't want to lose our room if I dropped the package. The guest relations CM scanned all my tickets, and entered notes on the screen for each one saying when I come back in November, I can bring my tickets back, used or not, and upgrade to AP at that time, and just pay the difference between the 9 day PH and AP. Thats what we are doing. I wasn't sure if this was correct, but I learned its up to the discretion of guest relations, and as long as those notes are entered, it is valid.

Here we go again...
08-31-2008, 11:48 AM
Glad to hear you got your answers. I am almost willing to bet that you if you use your tickets first they will give you credit based on the current gate price. I picked that part up after some other posts on this. I think it has something to do with that after you use your ticket they can't go back in the system to see how much you paid for it or something like that so they just use the current gate prices. In the whole scheme of things though it probably isn't that much of a difference in price. It is just a way to save a couple of bucks.
Actually, they can see when and where a ticket was purchased based on the numbers on the ticket. It will tell them the date purchased and how much was paid. I found this out when I got some 4 day park hopper plus with no experation tickets using my Hilton honors points. My plan was to upgrade them to APs once we got there.
When we went to the customer service counter we told them what we wanted to do and they did it... then gave us our total... Each AP cost us over $300!! Even though we used 80 thousand Hilton Honors Points per ticket, THEY actually only paid a small fee for the tickets... not the $300 I thought I would get as a credit toward each AP. When I told them that I changed my mind and did not want to change they told me it was too late the other tickets had already been deactivated. If I knew then what I know now.... :mad:
Anyway, you will only get credit based on what was paid for the ticket.

We just came back 2 weeks ago. We had a nine day PH for our family of 5. On our second to last day, I went to guest relations at the MK to inquire about upgrade to AP. I was worried about it because I have a package booked for our next trip in November, and didn't want to lose our room if I dropped the package. The guest relations CM scanned all my tickets, and entered notes on the screen for each one saying when I come back in November, I can bring my tickets back, used or not, and upgrade to AP at that time, and just pay the difference between the 9 day PH and AP. Thats what we are doing. I wasn't sure if this was correct, but I learned its up to the discretion of guest relations, and as long as those notes are entered, it is valid.

I would be very worried about this if I were you. Do you have anything in writing that says you can get APs later? Notes have a way of disappearing.
If you do trade to APs, your AP will start on the first day of the ticket used on this past trip. So, aside from not having to come up with all of the money now, you really did not save anything by waiting.

homeschool mom
08-31-2008, 04:40 PM
We too plan on upgrading our PHs to APs when we go in two weeks. Thanks for all of the helpful info.

13 days and counting! :mickey: